• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police have a "one sided" view

iownagn-gs

I had to pick up my daughter from a friends home on Universal Road in Penn Hills at approximately 9:50PM. I pulled over to the side and stopped my car facing the opposite traffic. I was there for no more than 10 seconds when I look over to my right and see this Penn Hills Cop yelling at me to move the car at once. As he was pulling away he lets out with a big "Idiot" to me. I plan to pay a visit to the Chief in Penn Hills tomorrow and discuss what happened this evening. If these cops are getting fired up over simple crap such as this, then God forbid if something more serious were to occur, what's to say these guys don't pull a gun on someone because they can't cope! To make matters worse, the term "Idiot", when directed against someone is in violation of the "Sexual Harrassment Law". The Law is written to also protect people from comments such as "Idiot", racial slurs, physical inequities, etc. etc. etc. So, here we have a Penn Hills cop, who is supposed to uphold the law and protect citizens who apparently has little regard for the rights of others. If I had fired back to him with an "Idiot" of my own, you can bet your rear end I would have been charged with disrespecting a police officer.

My daughter was close enough to my car to hear the cop call me an Idiot, so having her as a witness, I intend to follow thru with an action against this Penn Hills cop for being in violation of the "Sexual Harrassment Law".

Fallschirjmäger

Depending on exactly you mean by "stopped my car facing the opposite traffic" you might count yourself lucky not to be ticketed. Were you parked with the driver's side, or passenger side closest to the curb?

Does Pennsylvania even have a "Police, disrespect of" law?

Steve in PA

Um, just how does "idiot" equate to sexual harassment????

Especially since the courts have ruled that using curse words such as "f___ you" is not disorderly conduct, even towards law enforcement. So, while calling you an idiot may have been in violation of the departments policy, it is NOT a violation of any sexual harassment law.

MR Redenck

I would have called you an idiot to. Park like a idiot, expect to be called a idiot.
Its going to be funny when you go down there complaining about being called a idiot and the Chief finds out why.
POST UPDATE. When I Went To Complain, They Wrote Me A Ticket For Parking Like A Idiot!! :lol:
LOL

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The ADA protects people from discrimination based on either an actual disability or a perception by others that the person being discriminated against has a disability. Although the DSM has not used the term "idiot" officially to describe a certain level of reduced intellectual functioning since the 1960s it still carries that connotation - although I seriously doubt most folks know what the IQ points spread for idiot is as compared to, say imbecile or moron.

If you feel that you were discriminated against because the cop called you an idiot instead of using a term that more accurately or appropriately describes your level of intellectual functioning you are free to contact his department and seek training in using the correct nomenclature.

Pulling up and parking (actually standing, as it appears you did not exit the vehicle) facing oncoming traffic forces your daughter to go out into the street in order to get into the car. That is unsafe. Standing facing traffic with your headlights on may disoriente drivers who are not expecting to see oncoming headlights in their lane and be ruled the proximate cause of an accident. Usually, but I'm not going to do any research to confirm it for your locality, parking, standing and driving headed against the normal flow of traffic is prohibited by the motor vehicle ordinances. It seems you might have actually been happier if the cop stopped and wrote you a ticket.

stay safe.

jahwarrior

I had to pick up my daughter from a friends home on Universal Road in Penn Hills at approximately 9:50PM. I pulled over to the side and stopped my car facing the opposite traffic. I was there for no more than 10 seconds when I look over to my right and see this Penn Hills Cop yelling at me to move the car at once. As he was pulling away he lets out with a big "Idiot" to me. I plan to pay a visit to the Chief in Penn Hills tomorrow and discuss what happened this evening. If these cops are getting fired up over simple crap such as this, then God forbid if something more serious were to occur, what's to say these guys don't pull a gun on someone because they can't cope! To make matters worse, the term "Idiot", when directed against someone is in violation of the "Sexual Harrassment Law". The Law is written to also protect people from comments such as "Idiot", racial slurs, physical inequities, etc. etc. etc. So, here we have a Penn Hills cop, who is supposed to uphold the law and protect citizens who apparently has little regard for the rights of others. If I had fired back to him with an "Idiot" of my own, you can bet your rear end I would have been charged with disrespecting a police officer.

My daughter was close enough to my car to hear the cop call me an Idiot, so having her as a witness, I intend to follow thru with an action against this Penn Hills cop for being in violation of the "Sexual Harrassment Law".

#1 - people who park on the wrong side of the street are idiots.

#2 - people who complain to police chiefs about being called an idiot by an irate officer are idiots, especially if they were parking on the wrong side of the road.

#3 - calling someone an idiot isn't sexual harrassment. i'd like to see a copy of the Sexual Harrasment "law".

#4 - you can't be charged for "disrespecting" an officer. if that were true, i'd be serving a 10 year sentence right about now. anyone who believes that you can be charged is an idiot.

do you prefer that i call you an idiot, or should i just grab your ass and call you sexy?