Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Wife's near draw experience

  1. #1
    Regular Member Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    182

    Wife's near draw experience

    The following incident occurred today to Mrs. Polynikes while shopping at the North Academy Wal-Mart in Colorado Springs. She had parked at the North edge of the parking lot and had just finished doing some shopping with our two youngins,' ages three and one. She had parked her vehicle with the driver side facing the back, empty corner of the parking lot and the passenger side towards the building. After loading the kids in to the car and then placing the groceries on the passenger seat, Mrs. Polynikes walked around the back of the car to get in on the driver's side. It is here that our scenario begins...

    As Mrs. Polynikes rounds the back corner of the vehicle she sees a young woman approaching from the empty corner of the parking lot, where there had not been anyone a moment ago. The woman is headed straight for Mrs. Polynikes. She's not carrying a purse or any bags that would indicate she had been shopping or intended to shop, but she does have her right hand tucked underneath the blue down vest she's wearing, with her left hand holding the edge of the vest closed. Mental alarms begin to sound as Mrs. Polynikes realizes that a black sedan with a male driver has pulled up to a stop nearby and also he is also focusing his attention on Mrs. Polynikes. The woman is still coming fast, hand inside the down vest. Mrs. Polynikes uses the purse on her left shoulder to shield her movement as she slides her hand under her shirt to the grip of her Bodyguard .38 in a Flashbang holster. At the angle the woman is approaching from there is no way that she could have seen this action and she keeps coming, now only about 20 feet away. Mrs. Polynikes prepares to give a verbal warning, when suddenly the male in the car calls out to the approaching woman,

    "Yo, she's not one to *explicative* with."

    From the angle he was keeping watch from, the driver of the black sedan apparently caught the subtle motion of Mrs. Polynikes as she reached for her handgun. The woman, hearing the warning, abruptly changes direction and jumps in the back of the black sedan and the pair speeds off. Mrs. Polynikes quickly gets in her own vehicle and exits the parking lot.

    From the careful positioning of the two people, one approaching and the other on lookout, as well as the quick bug-out without hesitating it appears that this may have been something practiced before. The bottom line here seems to be that situational awareness carried the day, and what could have been a bad situation ended with all my loved ones safe.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    298
    Yikes!! That's pretty scary!!! I'm glad your wife and kids are safe!

  3. #3
    Regular Member PikesPeakMtnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    Yikes!! That's pretty scary!!! I'm glad your wife and kids are safe!
    I second that! That WalSuckMart tends to have characters like the Platte Ave one, always good to be aware, as your wife was....
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    Don't mess with mama bear!! She's got teeth! Amen, glad all ended well.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member onestar 50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    104
    Boy that was a close one. I am glad that your wife and children are okay.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Good that everyone is safe.




    What did the cops say?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Glad things worked out. COS is a place where the vermin have to think twice, or risk getting their heads blown off. Lots of people carry and they are well aware of that fact.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  8. #8
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    The following incident occurred today to Mrs. Polynikes while shopping at the North Academy Wal-Mart in Colorado Springs. She had parked at the North edge of the parking lot and had just finished doing some shopping with our two youngins,' ages three and one. She had parked her vehicle with the driver side facing the back, empty corner of the parking lot and the passenger side towards the building. After loading the kids in to the car and then placing the groceries on the passenger seat, Mrs. Polynikes walked around the back of the car to get in on the driver's side. It is here that our scenario begins...

    As Mrs. Polynikes rounds the back corner of the vehicle she sees a young woman approaching from the empty corner of the parking lot, where there had not been anyone a moment ago. The woman is headed straight for Mrs. Polynikes. She's not carrying a purse or any bags that would indicate she had been shopping or intended to shop, but she does have her right hand tucked underneath the blue down vest she's wearing, with her left hand holding the edge of the vest closed. Mental alarms begin to sound as Mrs. Polynikes realizes that a black sedan with a male driver has pulled up to a stop nearby and also he is also focusing his attention on Mrs. Polynikes. The woman is still coming fast, hand inside the down vest. Mrs. Polynikes uses the purse on her left shoulder to shield her movement as she slides her hand under her shirt to the grip of her Bodyguard .38 in a Flashbang holster. At the angle the woman is approaching from there is no way that she could have seen this action and she keeps coming, now only about 20 feet away. Mrs. Polynikes prepares to give a verbal warning, when suddenly the male in the car calls out to the approaching woman,

    "Yo, she's not one to *explicative* with."

    From the angle he was keeping watch from, the driver of the black sedan apparently caught the subtle motion of Mrs. Polynikes as she reached for her handgun. The woman, hearing the warning, abruptly changes direction and jumps in the back of the black sedan and the pair speeds off. Mrs. Polynikes quickly gets in her own vehicle and exits the parking lot.

    From the careful positioning of the two people, one approaching and the other on lookout, as well as the quick bug-out without hesitating it appears that this may have been something practiced before. The bottom line here seems to be that situational awareness carried the day, and what could have been a bad situation ended with all my loved ones safe.
    Applause and adorations to your wife. I believe you have a keeper.

    I would hope, but not really expect, that she got a good description of both felons and the vehicle to report to the police. And that it got reported. No matter that nothing actually happened. The PD needs to be aware of that pair.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  9. #9
    Regular Member Red Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern VA, with too many people
    Posts
    404
    So glad it all worked out favorably. These stories do my heart good on many levels. An armed citizen not letting "society" get the best of them. Another crime averted. And best of all, I love hearing and seeing a lady with her gun.....
    I travel to the Springs on biz, and even though it's a pain, flying with a gun, I love the fact that ya'll respect our rights, as much as Virginia does. The gentle ribbing from my coworkers just keeps me smiling, and if it's ever needed, it's there. Thanks Colorado!!
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

  10. #10
    Regular Member Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    182
    As far as contacting the police, she has not done so as of yet. She had a bad experience several years ago when trying to report a different incident (road raging driver trying to run her off the road) and the officer she spoke to basically made it seem as though she was wasting their time by even making the report. They didn't even bother to fill out any official paperwork to document the incident. She's a little "shy" about putting herself through that again, with the limited information she has about this recent encounter.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  11. #11
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    As far as contacting the police, she has not done so as of yet. She had a bad experience several years ago when trying to report a different incident (road raging driver trying to run her off the road) and the officer she spoke to basically made it seem as though she was wasting their time by even making the report. They didn't even bother to fill out any official paperwork to document the incident. She's a little "shy" about putting herself through that again, with the limited information she has about this recent encounter.
    1. Glad she and the kids are ok.

    2. She needs to report it and make sure they fill out a report; they might be able to get something off of the wally world video. If she doesn't this might happen to another lady with kids that isn't as prepared. Even if it does it might give them a lead to follow.

    3. Go with her and if needed ask for Supervisor, Chief, or Mayor. Might even let the local news know about it if the Police won't take it seriously, that will get their attention.

    4. Good luck and stay safe...ie prepared.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    She should notify the police.

    Other than that....



    Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

    George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

    Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Man, oh man. It's times like those you wish you had three sets of arms, one for the HG, one for the pepper spray, and one for the camera.

    Alas, it looks like this pair got off easy. Glad the Mrs got out OK. Thanks for the report. Good on her, getting the draw like that. I think in that instance, I'd have gone for full on draw with laser beam in the eyeball of the advancing person. (If they want to go file a report they have to show up and reveal their identity).
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  14. #14
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Outstanding job!! Glad your wife and kids are OK.

    The only (very mild) criticism I could make is that she let the other person get way too close. Approaching as the other woman did, with her hand hidden inside her vest, I would have drawn and gone to a low ready position before she got within twenty feet. Understand that I do not know Colorado law and that Alabama, where I am, has no brandishing law.

    By all means, go with her to the police and do whatever it takes, to include going to the media, to get the police active on this. Someone else may not be as prepared or as lucky.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    This scenario is nearly identical to one I encountered in 1991. Kudos to your wife!

    And yes, definitely report it and every detail she can remember (ht, weight, build, hair color, clothing color, make/model/lic # of sedan, etc).
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    Tell the wife great job from all of us. You're absolutely right that SA saved the day.

    I'm going to use this to try to convince my mother to start carrying her pistol. I think I'm starting to wear her down.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  17. #17
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    As I posted earlier. It should be reported. If she runs in to the "reluctant policeman" type again, go up the chain of command. Some one is going to properly respond and all those lower in rank who did not will really wish they had responded properly.

    If she has to go up the chain, make sure to get names, badge No.s and ranks.

    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    As I posted earlier. It should be reported. If she runs in to the "reluctant policeman" type again, go up the chain of command. Some one is going to properly respond and all those lower in rank who did not will really wish they had responded properly.
    If not for herself, then for the next mother the pair targets. A couple of people who saw "suspicious characters" who got away don't amount to much. Until enough reports come in to build a profile. The news will be even more interested, particularly in the side that she was prepared to lawfully defend herself with deadly force if necessary.

  19. #19
    Lone Star Veteran Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    Yikes!! That's pretty scary!!! I'm glad your wife and kids are safe!
    What I'm glad for is that she decided that SHE is responsible for her children's and her own safety.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Freedom First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    What I'm glad for is that she decided that SHE is responsible for her children's and her own safety.
    +1!

    My dear wife packs daily now that she sees the world clearly. There is evil in our world and it generally manifests itself through people.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

    Freedom First 1775

    "I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    +1!

    My dear wife packs daily now that she sees the world clearly. There is evil in our world and it generally manifests itself through people.
    I would go so far as to say it this way: "There is evil in our world and it exclusively manifests itself through people."
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  22. #22
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    There is evil in this world and it manifests itself as human garbage.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •