• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife's near draw experience

Polynikes

The following incident occurred today to Mrs. Polynikes while shopping at the North Academy Wal-Mart in Colorado Springs. She had parked at the North edge of the parking lot and had just finished doing some shopping with our two youngins,' ages three and one. She had parked her vehicle with the driver side facing the back, empty corner of the parking lot and the passenger side towards the building. After loading the kids in to the car and then placing the groceries on the passenger seat, Mrs. Polynikes walked around the back of the car to get in on the driver's side. It is here that our scenario begins...

As Mrs. Polynikes rounds the back corner of the vehicle she sees a young woman approaching from the empty corner of the parking lot, where there had not been anyone a moment ago. The woman is headed straight for Mrs. Polynikes. She's not carrying a purse or any bags that would indicate she had been shopping or intended to shop, but she does have her right hand tucked underneath the blue down vest she's wearing, with her left hand holding the edge of the vest closed. Mental alarms begin to sound as Mrs. Polynikes realizes that a black sedan with a male driver has pulled up to a stop nearby and also he is also focusing his attention on Mrs. Polynikes. The woman is still coming fast, hand inside the down vest. Mrs. Polynikes uses the purse on her left shoulder to shield her movement as she slides her hand under her shirt to the grip of her Bodyguard .38 in a Flashbang holster. At the angle the woman is approaching from there is no way that she could have seen this action and she keeps coming, now only about 20 feet away. Mrs. Polynikes prepares to give a verbal warning, when suddenly the male in the car calls out to the approaching woman,

"Yo, she's not one to *explicative* with."

From the angle he was keeping watch from, the driver of the black sedan apparently caught the subtle motion of Mrs. Polynikes as she reached for her handgun. The woman, hearing the warning, abruptly changes direction and jumps in the back of the black sedan and the pair speeds off. Mrs. Polynikes quickly gets in her own vehicle and exits the parking lot.

From the careful positioning of the two people, one approaching and the other on lookout, as well as the quick bug-out without hesitating it appears that this may have been something practiced before. The bottom line here seems to be that situational awareness carried the day, and what could have been a bad situation ended with all my loved ones safe. :)

Gunslinger

Glad things worked out. COS is a place where the vermin have to think twice, or risk getting their heads blown off. Lots of people carry and they are well aware of that fact.

OldCurlyWolf

The following incident occurred today to Mrs. Polynikes while shopping at the North Academy Wal-Mart in Colorado Springs. She had parked at the North edge of the parking lot and had just finished doing some shopping with our two youngins,' ages three and one. She had parked her vehicle with the driver side facing the back, empty corner of the parking lot and the passenger side towards the building. After loading the kids in to the car and then placing the groceries on the passenger seat, Mrs. Polynikes walked around the back of the car to get in on the driver's side. It is here that our scenario begins...

As Mrs. Polynikes rounds the back corner of the vehicle she sees a young woman approaching from the empty corner of the parking lot, where there had not been anyone a moment ago. The woman is headed straight for Mrs. Polynikes. She's not carrying a purse or any bags that would indicate she had been shopping or intended to shop, but she does have her right hand tucked underneath the blue down vest she's wearing, with her left hand holding the edge of the vest closed. Mental alarms begin to sound as Mrs. Polynikes realizes that a black sedan with a male driver has pulled up to a stop nearby and also he is also focusing his attention on Mrs. Polynikes. The woman is still coming fast, hand inside the down vest. Mrs. Polynikes uses the purse on her left shoulder to shield her movement as she slides her hand under her shirt to the grip of her Bodyguard .38 in a Flashbang holster. At the angle the woman is approaching from there is no way that she could have seen this action and she keeps coming, now only about 20 feet away. Mrs. Polynikes prepares to give a verbal warning, when suddenly the male in the car calls out to the approaching woman,

"Yo, she's not one to *explicative* with."

From the angle he was keeping watch from, the driver of the black sedan apparently caught the subtle motion of Mrs. Polynikes as she reached for her handgun. The woman, hearing the warning, abruptly changes direction and jumps in the back of the black sedan and the pair speeds off. Mrs. Polynikes quickly gets in her own vehicle and exits the parking lot.

From the careful positioning of the two people, one approaching and the other on lookout, as well as the quick bug-out without hesitating it appears that this may have been something practiced before. The bottom line here seems to be that situational awareness carried the day, and what could have been a bad situation ended with all my loved ones safe. :)

Applause and adorations to your wife. I believe you have a keeper.

I would hope, but not really expect, that she got a good description of both felons and the vehicle to report to the police. And that it got reported. No matter that nothing actually happened. The PD needs to be aware of that pair.:cool:

Red Dawg

So glad it all worked out favorably. These stories do my heart good on many levels. An armed citizen not letting "society" get the best of them. Another crime averted. And best of all, I love hearing and seeing a lady with her gun.....:)
I travel to the Springs on biz, and even though it's a pain, flying with a gun, I love the fact that ya'll respect our rights, as much as Virginia does. The gentle ribbing from my coworkers just keeps me smiling, and if it's ever needed, it's there. Thanks Colorado!!

Polynikes

As far as contacting the police, she has not done so as of yet. She had a bad experience several years ago when trying to report a different incident (road raging driver trying to run her off the road) and the officer she spoke to basically made it seem as though she was wasting their time by even making the report. They didn't even bother to fill out any official paperwork to document the incident. She's a little "shy" about putting herself through that again, with the limited information she has about this recent encounter.

DocWalker

As far as contacting the police, she has not done so as of yet. She had a bad experience several years ago when trying to report a different incident (road raging driver trying to run her off the road) and the officer she spoke to basically made it seem as though she was wasting their time by even making the report. They didn't even bother to fill out any official paperwork to document the incident. She's a little "shy" about putting herself through that again, with the limited information she has about this recent encounter.

1. Glad she and the kids are ok.

2. She needs to report it and make sure they fill out a report; they might be able to get something off of the wally world video. If she doesn't this might happen to another lady with kids that isn't as prepared. Even if it does it might give them a lead to follow.

3. Go with her and if needed ask for Supervisor, Chief, or Mayor. Might even let the local news know about it if the Police won't take it seriously, that will get their attention.

4. Good luck and stay safe...ie prepared.

Badger Johnson

Man, oh man. It's times like those you wish you had three sets of arms, one for the HG, one for the pepper spray, and one for the camera.

Alas, it looks like this pair got off easy. Glad the Mrs got out OK. Thanks for the report. Good on her, getting the draw like that. I think in that instance, I'd have gone for full on draw with laser beam in the eyeball of the advancing person. (If they want to go file a report they have to show up and reveal their identity).

SFCRetired

Outstanding job!! Glad your wife and kids are OK.

The only (very mild) criticism I could make is that she let the other person get way too close. Approaching as the other woman did, with her hand hidden inside her vest, I would have drawn and gone to a low ready position before she got within twenty feet. Understand that I do not know Colorado law and that Alabama, where I am, has no brandishing law.

By all means, go with her to the police and do whatever it takes, to include going to the media, to get the police active on this. Someone else may not be as prepared or as lucky.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This scenario is nearly identical to one I encountered in 1991. Kudos to your wife!

And yes, definitely report it and every detail she can remember (ht, weight, build, hair color, clothing color, make/model/lic # of sedan, etc).

Beau

Tell the wife great job from all of us. You're absolutely right that SA saved the day.

I'm going to use this to try to convince my mother to start carrying her pistol. I think I'm starting to wear her down.

OldCurlyWolf

As I posted earlier. It should be reported. If she runs in to the "reluctant policeman" type again, go up the chain of command. Some one is going to properly respond and all those lower in rank who did not will really wish they had responded properly.

If she has to go up the chain, make sure to get names, badge No.s and ranks.

:cool:

mahkagari

As I posted earlier. It should be reported. If she runs in to the "reluctant policeman" type again, go up the chain of command. Some one is going to properly respond and all those lower in rank who did not will really wish they had responded properly.

If not for herself, then for the next mother the pair targets. A couple of people who saw "suspicious characters" who got away don't amount to much. Until enough reports come in to build a profile. The news will be even more interested, particularly in the side that she was prepared to lawfully defend herself with deadly force if necessary.

Freedom First

What I'm glad for is that she decided that SHE is responsible for her children's and her own safety.

+1!

My dear wife packs daily now that she sees the world clearly. There is evil in our world and it generally manifests itself through people.