• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zone Map

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I want to open carry but don't want to risk getting within 1000 feet of a school zone. Is there an update map somewhere online that can help me with this?

Uhm no.

Welcome to OCDO.

The school zone issue is a problem, but creating a map unfortunately is not a solution. Making a map to identify schools and the 1000 foot zone around them is not really practical, because information isnt always accurate, may require frequent updating, and can be used as evidence that you knew where the school zones were in the event you are charged with 626.9.

This puts everyone in the position of simply avoiding those areas where they know there is a school and hoping that they do not repeat Theseus' footsteps.

1245A Defender

Huh?, Wait?, What???

Uhm no.

Welcome to OCDO.

The school zone issue is a problem, but creating a map unfortunately is not a solution. Making a map to identify schools and the 1000 foot zone around them is not really practical, because information isnt always accurate, may require frequent updating, and can be used as evidence that you knew where the school zones were in the event you are charged with 626.9.

This puts everyone in the position of simply avoiding those areas where they know there is a school and hoping that they do not repeat Theseus' footsteps.

How do you avoid these areas?
Do you avoid these areas by not knowing where these areas are?
How do you avoid an area of a school by not knowing about the school?
Can burying your head in the sand, of not knowing, really protect you from the charge of 626.9

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
How do you avoid these areas?
Do you avoid these areas by not knowing where these areas are?
How do you avoid an area of a school by not knowing about the school?
Can burying your head in the sand, of not knowing, really protect you from the charge of 626.9

LOL...seems like there is a logical disconnect here.

1) While UOC, I do not go in areas where I know from memory that there is a K-12 school
2) While UOC, I do not go in areas where I know from memory that there is a K-12 school
3) If I am ignorant of a school that is not conspicuous or advertised (such as a private school - like a residence of a family that home schools) there is a good chance that peace officers will be too. If they can't identify the location of such schools, there is little basis for pursuing a criminal charge. That will not keep them from retroactively looking for school zones and charging you later by using the identity information you gave up when you had your encounter.
4) No, we are completely at the mercy of peace officers, officers of the court and our judicary. As has been demonstrated, there is no defense against a charge of 626.9, even when such defense appears in writing in the cited code as an exemption. Both private property and the reasonable knowledge of where schools are located have been completely nullified by the judicary.

Back to the 'cartography' issue... if there exists no defense against 626.9 and the exemptions have no weight of law, how then is making a map in an attempt to identify all the public and private schools (which cannot reasonably be done with any accuracy) going to help you stay out of jail? What benefit is it to carry the evidence police would need to convict you of the violation? The only solution to staying out of jail is to avoid UOC in those areas where you know from memory are school zones and/or carry unloaded in a locked case (LUCC).

The bottom line is, that if police decide to pop you for 626.9, you are going for a ride, your firearm will be seized, and unless you get both a competent attorney AND a judge that favors a plain reading of the law, you will be convicted and be California's newest prohibited person. Possession of a map (or GPS) that identifies the location of schools can do nothing but prove the case against you.

Firemark

I want to open carry but don't want to risk getting within 1000 feet of a school zone. Is there an update map somewhere online that can help me with this?

So long as your locked in a case and unloaded you can drive thru any school zone, even walk thru school zones, just dont go on the property, or any government property, post office parking lot would be a serious no no.

For School zones I recomend this process.
Use google maps and mapquest and do searches in your area for the following fields as a minimum:
school, schools, kindergarten, high school, elementary school, private school, catholic school, jewish school, Montessori school, Gateway school

For any and all hits you must call their number to confirm if they teach any grades from k-12 and if they are registered with the state board of education. If they check out as a legitimate school, then you must physically go to the school (not OC'ing) find the borders of the property and measure a 1000' foot circumfrence from it to delineate the zone (be safe make it 1100' to account for possible mistakes). google maps and mapquest can be used with a fair amount of accuracy. At no time ever mention to them anything about firearms or carrying.

Once you have your zones identified, draw your self your own personal map for your own reference. Never ever bring it with you when you OC, leave it at home. memorize the boundaries and set up your safe "carry zones". Every person that chooses to OC must do this for themselves and not rely on anyone elses research, cause if its faulty the convictng DA wont care, its your personal responsibility to not be within 1000' of a k-12 school.

Why not take the map with you? Because if you are stopped and searched by LE while carrying a firearm and carrying a map with k-12 schools highlighted on it the first thing they think will not be its a navigation map for you to carry a firearm, the headline in the paper will read "Man with gun and map of local schools arrested at starbucks"

And after all that work is done you gotta do it again on a regular basis just in case a private school opens up or a gateway or montessori school pops up in your carry area.

Also never ask or share with LE any maps regarding GFSZ's, they dont and wont make them unless they want to train their officers to try and catch you or stick you with a violation.

.....and this is how Californians must practice their right to keep and bear arms. Enjoy have fun!