• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter (PA)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Oops. I forget the world does not always revolve around me. Except in the Colorado Forum.

On a side note, I once almost had a girlfriend at Gen Con when it was back in Milwaukee. By girlfriend I mean I think it was a girl I saw by the artist's both who did the drawings for Steve Jackson's Micro games. It was hard to tell by her glasses, the cheese puff powder wiped down the front of her oversized fatigue jacket, and her cute mustache. To this day I regret I could not summon the courage to engage her either in conversation or D20x2 combat.

See, you were just hanging out in the wrong spot. The LARP girls are the forward ones. You don't have to do anything but sit there looking nerdy and they get all sympathetic. Plus, If you are lucky enough to be the only one that showered that day (quite likely), your in! :lol:

The MTG and D&D crowd didn't hold as much promise. :(

Oh, and I once ate a cheeto while standing only feet away from Gary Gygax.

Last edited:

protias

4633595222_30f90dc385.jpg

HandyHamlet

I'm Gumby dammit!

Case and point. You just never know...

Sometimes you just being you prevents you from committing a crime.

http://local.sandiego.com/news/video-gumby-attempts-to-rob-7-eleven-in-san-diego-fails

Gumby walked up to the cashier and said to the clerk, “This is a robbery,” San Diego police Detective Gary Hassen said. The clerk thought it was a joke and told Gumby that he had to go back to cleaning.

To which he replied "I'M GUMBY! DAMMIT!"

[video=youtube;FoXluAsy_jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoXluAsy_jc[/video]

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Agreed

But what's proper etiquette? Do I blame HH for talking about Gencon, inducing me to let my nerd out of the closet? Do I post an apology for going off topic, driving the thread further off topic, or do I dismiss the possibility of apology and risk looking like I felt entitled to post off-topic remarks? This is all so nerve racking!

Sorry about that.:) Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...........:lol:

protias

But what's proper etiquette? Do I blame HH for talking about Gencon, inducing me to let my nerd out of the closet? Do I post an apology for going off topic, driving the thread further off topic, or do I dismiss the possibility of apology and risk looking like I felt entitled to post off-topic remarks? This is all so nerve racking!

Sorry about that.:) Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...........:lol:

I posted it before it really got out of hand. ;)

BROKENSPROKET

The only instance where an OCer was targeted was last year when someone in Milwaukee was robbed of his firearm, and he had to help the thug remove it. So 1 in <who knows how many people OC>? That is such a small margin, it is zero.

A small part of me suspects this was one was staged, to make a case for CC and put more pressure on legisislators. A small part.

MKEgal

I had to laugh at this:
[The clerk] called the police and ten minutes later they arrived. I was standing outside with [him].
Officer 1: That's going to stay in its holster, right?
Me: It typically does unless I tell it otherwise.
Officer 2: Ok no problem, you're not gonna see any Canton PD [feces] out of us.
Me: It's nice to see that some of the good guys really ARE good guys.

Trip20 said:
From a basic tactics standpoint one must take out armed resistance before unarmed resistance. The potential is there for an OC'er to be targeted first.
...please include in your response how you would choose to ignore an armed individual if you were the perpetrator of said crime
Brass Magnet said:
He's just saying that if someone was absolutely determined to rob a certain place, no matter what, the OC'er would be targeted first.

Target fixation + tunnel vision under stress.
It's not so much a matter of choice as physiology.

A robber will focus on the teller (or clerk), & ignore what he doesn't expect to see in the first place - an armed citizen. I've seen news video from here in Milwaukee of a bank robber (with gun) so intent on the teller that he was unaware of a customer walking up from behind until he was tackled.

If the armed citizen in your hypothetical scenario were noticed by the criminals, maybe they'd wait (as in Kennesaw), maybe they'd abort (as in Youngstown), or maybe they'd kill the OCer first (as in... um...).
But first s/he has to be noticed, & we've all had people not notice our tools.

Heck, I was standing talking with the driver of the "guns save lives" truck when it was in MKE. He was in arm's reach for probably 5min before he asked something about OC being legal here, & I just said "look at my hip". He was rather startled. :lol:

Last edited:

hermannr

Trip: Consider this:

#1: OH does not recognize a PA permit> That is making the assumption that the PA resident had a permit at all, this is not stated.

#2: OH is a traditional OC state. It is legal for a non-resident, without an OH permit, to OC. This is probably one reason the PA resident in this discussion was OC.

#3: IF, the PA resident had been concealed, the robbery probably would have proceded, and no doubt someone (maybe the store owner, and/or the PA resident) would have been hurt.

#4: The reason that LE carrys openly is a warning to anyone, that he could be in a big hurt if he breaks the law. Crininals do not care about law, they care about force that can be used against them. If you want OC targets, go look for how many LEO's are targeted...if a person were willing to target a LEO, he sure isn't going to care about you, if you CC or if you OC. (as to your one example: Help the criminal get my weapon out of my holster? are you kidding?)

I have OC for over 40 years, I only CC in winter, and that is because I refuse to dress for the weapon. If I am wearing a coat, I am concealed, otherwise I OC. I "know" of at least one instance that my OC stopped something before it got totally out of control. It never left the holster, and the fight was over as soon as the combatants saw me. All involved all had something else to do very quickly. I think they thought I was a cop.

I am an honest man, I have nothing to hide, not even my weapon. Are you ashamed of yours and that is why you think CC is so much better?

Trip20

Trip: Consider this:

#1: OH does not recognize a PA permit> That is making the assumption that the PA resident had a permit at all, this is not stated.

#2: OH is a traditional OC state. It is legal for a non-resident, without an OH permit, to OC. This is probably one reason the PA resident in this discussion was OC.

#3: IF, the PA resident had been concealed, the robbery probably would have proceded, and no doubt someone (maybe the store owner, and/or the PA resident) would have been hurt.

#4: The reason that LE carrys openly is a warning to anyone, that he could be in a big hurt if he breaks the law. Crininals do not care about law, they care about force that can be used against them. If you want OC targets, go look for how many LEO's are targeted...if a person were willing to target a LEO, he sure isn't going to care about you, if you CC or if you OC. (as to your one example: Help the criminal get my weapon out of my holster? are you kidding?)

I have OC for over 40 years, I only CC in winter, and that is because I refuse to dress for the weapon. If I am wearing a coat, I am concealed, otherwise I OC. I "know" of at least one instance that my OC stopped something before it got totally out of control. It never left the holster, and the fight was over as soon as the combatants saw me. All involved all had something else to do very quickly. I think they thought I was a cop.

I am an honest man, I have nothing to hide, not even my weapon. Are you ashamed of yours and that is why you think CC is so much better?

I'm sorry to say most if not all of your post is irrelevant due to your misinterpretations of my comments, beliefs and intentions to a degree that I don't know where to begin in response. This is extremely evident by the innuendos in your last two sentences.

On a lighter note, and seeing that cheeseburgers are so popular here, I thought I'd post supper from this evening.

Grilled Cheese Bacon Cheeseburger: A traditional bacon cheeseburger but instead of buns, it's capped on both ends by two bacon stuffed grilled cheese sandwiches. The meet/cheese/sourdough factor was too delicious to ruin with condiments. Give it a try!

IMG00253-20091012-1857.jpg

The autopsy shot:
IMG00257-20091012-1909.jpg

Paired with homemade french onion fresh from the broiler:
IMG00256-20091012-1908.jpg

Cheers!

HandyHamlet

Grilled Cheese Bacon Cheeseburger: A traditional bacon cheeseburger but instead of buns, it's capped on both ends by two bacon stuffed grilled cheese sandwiches. The meet/cheese/sourdough factor was too delicious to ruin with condiments. Give it a try!

Cheers!

You win Sir.

tumblr_lm2n9llMet1qafrh6.gif

M

McX

I'm sorry to say most if not all of your post is irrelevant due to your misinterpretations of my comments, beliefs and intentions to a degree that I don't know where to begin in response. This is extremely evident by the innuendos in your last two sentences.

On a lighter note, and seeing that cheeseburgers are so popular here, I thought I'd post supper from this evening.

IMG00253-20091012-1857.jpg

The autopsy shot:
IMG00257-20091012-1909.jpg

IMG00256-20091012-1908.jpg

Cheers!

beware of what you eat sir, Soylent Green is made of people!

sheller

Very nice pictures trip, I am going to make one of those great looking cheezy concoctions you posted, well done sir.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Criminals will risk attacking open carrier, if desperate

Hey how's it goin?

This shouldn't explode in to anything at all. If it does I'll just bow out before it gets that bad. I don't need to prove a point I'm just talking with people.

I'm just trying to be honest here and say, hey yes I agree but lets be real and say we'd all kill the armed guy first so it's not a stretch for someone to give pause and consider that being openly armed could make them a target. That's not the same as saying it always happens that way and it's a bad idea to OC because of it. This is what OC'ers usually hear from the CC crowd and I'm not from that camp. But for some reason I'm getting the same responses.

When I ask myself these two questions I don't know why most criminals wouldn't give the same response:

Question 1: When you go to perform this armed robbery are you going to enter the building with the firearm drawn or concealed.
My Answer: I will enter with it concealed because it gives me the tactical advantage of surprising my targets.

Question 2: If you see someone who is armed and you've decided to commit this crime regardless, will you shoot the armed persons first or the unarmed persons first?
My Answer: Anyone with a firearm visible will be shot as I have to assume they will intervene and try to stop me from obtaining my goal.

Not to Handy specifically, but anyone that doesn't like my opinion, ask yourself this: If an armed robber came in to a Kwik Trip while you were there OC'ing but did not notice at first... wouldn't you if possible turn your strong-side away from the BG to not draw his/her ire (i.e., conceal your firearm for tactical advantage)? I would.

I hoped to find some cites (sites?) on the net to make the point, but the internet is not old enough. A friend of mine, in the early 1980's, would scan the Indian newspapers to see what was happening in their crime situation. In India, criminals are called Dacoits. He showed me a few cases where dacoits killed police, apparantly for their police gun. He thought that this was because gun control was tight in India and a well manufactured gun would be worth the attack on a policeman to obtain it. Looking for more recent articles, I see some guns stolen from police barracks, but none stolen from an officer directly. It may be that police seldom carry guns in India at this time.

The point that I have been attempting to make is that a very desperate criminal will go up against an armed adversary, but in a society as wealthy as ours, such desperate men are extremely rare. You can panhandle at the freeway exit for a day and make enough to feed yourself for a month. We see so few desperate criminals because there are so many easy targets out there.

We see fat, out of shape middle aged teachers with upper middle class incomes and benefits screaming about how the voters are trying to take the bread from their children's mouths, when in reality, it means that they might have difficulty making the payment on the third car or vacation home.

No one in America has to steal in order to survive. Therefore, attacks on known armed men are much, much rarer than being struck by lightning.