Thread: Please welcome me to Colorado!

Please welcome me to Colorado!

Hello guys (gals) I moved from Virginia to Colorado about 2 months ago. I got to drive cross country which was really exciting! I now live in Aurora near Buckley and Hampden I commute to Buckley AFB where I work doing stuff as a contractor. Some days I drive, some days I bike (ok I have only biked for 4 days so far). I am married with 1 & 8/9 children ages 2.75 and -.1111. I have been a shooter since age 6. I grew up in upstate NY, and have lived in MD, VA and now CO. I love it here already, and have no plans to ever move out of the state. I have not done much shooting since arriving here (one trip to the Firing Line).

In VA I owned a small firearms instruction school, but mostly helped people get their CCW permits for VA/UT. I was hoping to jump in if there was a get together perhaps an OC lunch or something.

Welcome to Colorado. I moved here from VA, although I was at Hanscom AFB in MA working as a GS, 6 years ago. And this is where I'll stay. Lot's of great info on the forum, and the CO section is a very active one. This is a free state, like VA, so you'll feel right at home. Just don't OC in the PDR of Denver.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by learn2shoot View Post
    Hello guys (gals) I moved from Virginia to Colorado about 2 months ago. I got to drive cross country which was really exciting! I now live in Aurora near Buckley and Hampden
    <snip>
    I was hoping to jump in if there was a get together perhaps an OC lunch or something.
    Howdy Amigo!
    I live not far from you, near Buckley and Colfax.
    I plan to have a meet and greet in the near future. On my next day off I expect all find some place in the aurora area to have a meet and greet. Keep an eye on this forum for more details as they become available. I hope to hold such in a bit within the next couple or 3 weeks.

Until then I'll be a looking forward to meeting you.
    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Welcome to Colorado...I'm pretty sure the Virginia folks do more OC dinners and such but we here get together once in a while (though I haven't been to any of the more recent ones).

Firearm friendly-wise you probably won't notice a lot of difference from VA, more so the farther from the metro area you get. As has been mentioned, just don't OC in Denver city limits, virtually everywhere else is just fine (normal exceptions of course).
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Welcome to Colorado. I moved here from VA, although I was at Hanscom AFB in MA working as a GS, 6 years ago. And this is where I'll stay. Lot's of great info on the forum, and the CO section is a very active one. This is a free state, like VA, so you'll feel right at home. Just don't OC in the PDR of Denver.
    Ya, what he said.

As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between here and there is that there is no silly law about must not CC while drinking alcohol. Basically everything else is the same. I would also like to echo what others have said and say, please do not open carry within the limits of Denver. You just won't be happy with the results of it.

Welcome here, and welcome home.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Amigo!
    I plan to have a meet and greet in the near future. On my next day off I expect all find some place in the aurora area to have a meet and greet. Keep an eye on this forum for more details as they become available. I hope to hold such in a bit within the next couple or 3 weeks.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    I'm planning to be out of town from the 14th through the 20th. Other than that, just tell me when and where. You were nice enough to come to my side of town couple of weeks back. I'd love to return the favor. -no sushi?-

Howdy Amigo!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Sounds like there's some interest in an Aurora OC meet up! I'm up for it, as I'm taking a paid week long vacation off work starting Sept 26 (I never work weekends, so makes it a longer vacay!!). Need some help M-T setting up an OC meet up?

I am married with 1 & 8/9 children ages 2.75 and -.1111.
    Are you a statistician by chance?

I must say that is about the most original way I have seen that stated so far. Early congrats.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to Colorado! Join us for an OC meet-up! Just avoid the PDR of Denver like the bubonic plaque!

Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    Welcome to Colorado! Join us for an OC meet-up! Just avoid the PDR of Denver like the bubonic plaque!
    Howdy Again!
    I'd also suggest staying out of the county of Denver. Not enough just to avoid the city of Denver, but also stay out of Denver County. City and County of Denver are like one megalithic entity that loves to bust people and often with the most flimsy of grounds. There are plenty of horror stories coming out of the City of Denver, but I'm almost certain one would not fare any better in Denver County. Best to avoid the whole sheebang!

And I regret that I failed to properly welcome you to Colorado, so... here goes... ready?... here it comes now... I can feel it!!!

WELCOME ABOARD AMIGO! GLAD TO HAVE YOU JOIN US HERE!!!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Just because it hasn't been said, note that OC is illegal in Denver. That's beyond the PD having a bad repuation for excessive force.

Welcome to CO! I live in Aurora near Parker and Quincy. I'd be interested in a meet up. I haven't been able to attend one for a long time. The only problem is my hectic work schedule. Someone throw out a date and I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by entartet17; 09-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and the OC advice on Denver county/city. I don't really want to be the test case :-) I am not a stats guy by trade but do use it from time to time.

Hello guys (gals) I moved from Virginia to Colorado about 2 months ago.
    Welcome! I used to live in Virginia (went to HS and college there), and moved here about 2 years ago.

I was hoping to jump in if there was a get together perhaps an OC lunch or something.
    There's usually something on the horizon either near you or near me. Sometimes we actually drive an hour to get to the other place.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Howdy Again!
    I'd also suggest staying out of the county of Denver. Not enough just to avoid the city of Denver, but also stay out of Denver County. City and County of Denver are like one megalithic entity that loves to bust people and often with the most flimsy of grounds. There are plenty of horror stories coming out of the City of Denver, but I'm almost certain one would not fare any better in Denver County. Best to avoid the whole sheebang!
    I don't know why I made it my mission to straighten this out , but the City and County of Denver are one and the same. There is no territory in the County that isn't also in the City. The courts are unified -- no separate municipal and county court. I'm just about positive that the Mountain Parks are simply property owned by the City and County of Denver, but physically in other counties (and not really considered "Denver County"). I could be wrong, though!

I'm curious what law enforcement role the Denver Sheriff's Office has, other than process serving and running the jail. I haven't spent any time researching that. I'm also curious if the City and County of Broomfield has the same setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite Rabbit View Post
    I don't know why I made it my mission to straighten this out , but the City and County of Denver are one and the same. There is no territory in the County that isn't also in the City. The courts are unified -- no separate municipal and county court. I'm just about positive that the Mountain Parks are simply property owned by the City and County of Denver, but physically in other counties (and not really considered "Denver County"). I could be wrong, though!

I'm curious what law enforcement role the Denver Sheriff's Office has, other than process serving and running the jail. I haven't spent any time researching that. I'm also curious if the City and County of Broomfield has the same setup.
    The Denver Sheriffs Office does not have any real powers as far as law enforcement. They mainly focus on prisoners in jail, transport of prisoners, court security, bail issues, etc. They can't even ticket a homeless drunk with a Busch beer in a brown bag drinking on a public park bench! It's the PDR of Denver! Jeez, a Denver Judge signed my divorce decree IN PENCIL!! Just tells you how retarded Denver is!
    Last edited by Keens; 09-10-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Welcome to Colorado and to the site.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

I don't know why I made it my mission to straighten this out , but the City and County of Denver are one and the same. There is no territory in the County that isn't also in the City.
    You are correct! Here's a map for everyone's enjoyment. The green lines are the outlines of Denver County. Some statute extended the city boundaries out to those of the county. Jacksonville, FL did the same thing several decades ago, as have other cities.

Here's a much larger version - 1.5 MB

And here's a map of Denver neighborhoods:

Attachment 6897
    Last edited by since9; 09-11-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I live in Denver city , Arapahoe county. We're part of a unincorporated area, as such Aurora PD patrol our neighborhood even though it says Denver on my mail.

BTW... Welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by skopro View Post
    I live in Denver city , Arapahoe county. We're part of a unincorporated area, as such Aurora PD patrol our neighborhood even though it says Denver on my mail.

BTW... Welcome!!
    Are you sure you live in Denver? Unincorporated areas are just that -- not part of a municipality. Your mailing address is the city the post office is in, but that doesn't mean you actually live in that city. Our mail used to be delivered to a town 15 miles away, and our mailing address was that town. When our town got a post office our mailing address changed to the town we live in.

BTW... Welcome!!
    I live in Denver, I'm outta here when my lease is up in Dec and cannot wait!!!

I live in Denver city , Arapahoe county.
    Since Denver county and city are synonymous, if you're in Arapahoe county, you're not in either Denver city or Denver county.

Here are the zip codes for the county of Denver, Colorado. Most are 100%, that is, if you're in that zip code, you're in Denver. A few cross county lines, so if you're that zip code, you may be in another county.

80299 .

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    You are correct! Here's a map for everyone's enjoyment. The green lines are the outlines of Denver County. Some statute extended the city boundaries out to those of the county. Jacksonville, FL did the same thing several decades ago, as have other cities.

Here's a much larger version - 1.5 MB

And here's a map of Denver neighborhoods:

Attachment 6897

Thanks for posting that! I have been searching for a good map of Denver county limits With street names for some time to keep with me in the car! Just so I don't accidentally stray into Denver limits with my sidearm OC'ing in public! Denver's boundaries are weird.

I'm just about positive that the Mountain Parks are simply property owned by the City and County of Denver, but physically in other counties (and not really considered "Denver County"). I could be wrong, though!
    You are correct! OC in Denver Mtn Parks is illegal! I looked into this a long time ago! I'm an avid hiker and I never hike without my sidearm! While I'd like to enjoy the scenery, I'm not setting foot into PDR of Denver Mountain Parks land in other counties. I personally think it's intrusive that Denver has to set aside land outside of county limits in other counties and Enforce PDR of Denver Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by entartet17 View Post
    Welcome to CO! I live in Aurora near Parker and Quincy. I'd be interested in a meet up. I haven't been able to attend one for a long time. The only problem is my hectic work schedule. Someone throw out a date and I'll see what I can do.
    I live like 5 minutes away from you! Anyway, there is an OC meet at the Golden Corral in Aurora on Sept. 24 at Noon! All are welcome to join! Just look at earlier posts about the meet up posted by either M-T or myself. Hope to see you there!