• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on Ruger P95 9mm

mriggs90

I'd like your opinions on the ruger p95 9mm. I have been thinking about getting it for a while now, from what I can tell it seems to have pretty good reviews...what do you think?
Reliability?
Weight?
Ability to carry open or concealed?

Thor80

I dont know much about the P95, but I dont think there are a whole lot of fitted holsters available for it. You'd most likely have to have one custom made or a one size fits most style holster. In 9mm at the mid price range (300-500) I'm a fan of the Sig SP2022 (Brother in law has one) and the CZ-P07 Duty (My daily OC gun.) I put my CZ in a DeSantis Leather holster for an XD and it fits like a glove after I broke it in. Anyway those are two of my favorite 9mm's.

-Thor

P.S. The SP2022 goes for about $380 new here and i paid $460 for my CZ new.

Last edited:

aagab

There are actually quite a few makers out there that have holsters for the P95. Just do a search. Sig has a few gun models that are in that price range and so does S&W. Check out Bud's Gun store online. They have quite a selection and have reviews of different guns.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Reliability. Perfect from out of the box.

Weight. A bit on the heavy side.

Its not very pretty either.

Otherwise, for what I wanted in a largerish 9mm. Its perfect. IMO its a great weapon for introducing people to handguns, and its fun and easy to shoot.

I wouldn't try to carry it concealed, would likely be a bit uncomfortable.

cobaltmarine

P95 was my first pistol. I love it! My first 50 rnds I had one FTF (stovepipe),but since then I've gone through over 1000 rnds and not a single stoppage. accuracy is pretty good and the weight is just fine IMO. Plus its Cheap. And I agree with aagab about holsters, you can find just about any type of holster you want.

SovereignAxe

I've never used a P95, but I have used something else in the P series, which I believe was a P89. One thing I did notice, besides the weight, was the weight of the trigger. Ruger's are pretty well known for having somewhat heavy triggers, and the example I had access to was no exception.

cobaltmarine

in DA it is a fairly stout trigger pull, in SA its very manigible... nothing like a sigma 9mm.

Last edited:

RPGamingGirl

My husband carries the Ruger P95 and is very happy with it. It's reliable, but a bit 'clunky' in size and shape as compared to similar handguns. For me, it kicks a little hard, and the grip is wide (i'm a 5'6" 150 lb lady). It's much better suited to a bigger guy (my husband is 6'4" and outweighs me by about 100 lbs), and could be concealed on someone with a large frame, but probably not the average person, without a lot of effort. There are of course holsters that will fit it, but it takes a little more shopping around than usual; you can't walk into a gun show or department store and assume one will be there that would work.

As far as similarly priced guns, i second the Sig Sauer SP 2022. That's what i carry, and i have no complaints. Reliable, easier than most on the recoil (as well as chambering a round), and it fits my hand well. It's also easy to take apart and clean.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
My husband carries the Ruger P95 and is very happy with it. It's reliable, but a bit 'clunky' in size and shape as compared to similar handguns. For me, it kicks a little hard, and the grip is wide (i'm a 5'6" 150 lb lady). It's much better suited to a bigger guy (my husband is 6'4" and outweighs me by about 100 lbs), and could be concealed on someone with a large frame, but probably not the average person, without a lot of effort. There are of course holsters that will fit it, but it takes a little more shopping around than usual; you can't walk into a gun show or department store and assume one will be there that would work.

As far as similarly priced guns, i second the Sig Sauer SP 2022. That's what i carry, and i have no complaints. Reliable, easier than most on the recoil (as well as chambering a round), and it fits my hand well. It's also easy to take apart and clean.

Husband here.

Yeah, I love my p95. It's known for being able to take a beating and still shoot (I swear I've seen a video or two of people using the gun as a hammer and then turn around and shoot it without any problems). It is a full sized gun, so be aware of that, though it could stand to be a bit larger for my hands (my finger has to bend outwords quite a bit if I want to shoot with the tip of my finger as is said to be correct, otherwise I am shooting with the second digit). It has a protrusion on the left side of the gun where the takedown bar is located, making it less streamlined than other guns. I've yet to find a molded plastic holster that will fit it, or even a molded leather one. But the generic holsters work very well.

As far as shooting, its a breeze. It eats up Federal brand 9mm like candy. I've yet to have a misfire or feed issue with the gun to date. It is accurate, cheap, and just plain fun to shoot.

If any of that turns you off, the Sig Sauer SP 2022 is a wonderful gun as my wife (above) can attest. I would also reccomend the CZ 40b. The CZ 40b is NOT easy to come across as the price of a p95 or sp2022, but it is also a wonderful gun.

amtilton17

Husband here.

Yeah, I love my p95. It's known for being able to take a beating and still shoot (I swear I've seen a video or two of people using the gun as a hammer and then turn around and shoot it without any problems). It is a full sized gun, so be aware of that, though it could stand to be a bit larger for my hands (my finger has to bend outwords quite a bit if I want to shoot with the tip of my finger as is said to be correct, otherwise I am shooting with the second digit). It has a protrusion on the left side of the gun where the takedown bar is located, making it less streamlined than other guns. I've yet to find a molded plastic holster that will fit it, or even a molded leather one. But the generic holsters work very well.

As far as shooting, its a breeze. It eats up Federal brand 9mm like candy. I've yet to have a misfire or feed issue with the gun to date. It is accurate, cheap, and just plain fun to shoot.

If any of that turns you off, the Sig Sauer SP 2022 is a wonderful gun as my wife (above) can attest. I would also reccomend the CZ 40b. The CZ 40b is NOT easy to come across as the price of a p95 or sp2022, but it is also a wonderful gun.

I have a P95 and Blackhawk makes a plastic holster for it with the trigger guard locking mechanism which prevents anyone from removing the gun without pressing the button on the side.

Greeper

The P95 is the first handgun my wife has shot (other than a Jennings .22 I used to have years ago). She liked it so much, that when we decided to arm, I chose the Glock 19 and she only wanted the Ruger. She tried a few handguns for fit, but none seemed right. Personally, I like to CC and the P95 is a bit bulky for that, but using a fabric holster in her purse, or nightstand, she's perfectly happy with it. For concealability, we're leaning towards a second Ruger for her (LC9) and the G26 for me (dunno...just like my Glock).

I should say that even though it's "her" weapon of choice, I've shot it and it works well for me. Although both my wife and I struggle with the "first shot" since it has such a longer, and heavier, trigger pull. It amost always ends up in the hip of the silhouette for her and at least lower lung for me. After that it's a 3" pattern dead center...we call that first one the "warning shot".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The P95 is the first handgun my wife has shot (other than a Jennings .22 I used to have years ago). She liked it so much, that when we decided to arm, I chose the Glock 19 and she only wanted the Ruger. She tried a few handguns for fit, but none seemed right. Personally, I like to CC and the P95 is a bit bulky for that, but using a fabric holster in her purse, or nightstand, she's perfectly happy with it. For concealability, we're leaning towards a second Ruger for her (LC9) and the G26 for me (dunno...just like my Glock).

I should say that even though it's "her" weapon of choice, I've shot it and it works well for me. Although both my wife and I struggle with the "first shot" since it has such a longer, and heavier, trigger pull. It amost always ends up in the hip of the silhouette for her and at least lower lung for me. After that it's a 3" pattern dead center...we call that first one the "warning shot".

No warning shots, please.:D

Work on trigger control - you are likely anticipating recoil on that first one - smooth and steady.

Welcome to OCDO, now about the CC thing..........:D