• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Forum and newly a Wisconsin Resident

madhatter12

Hello Everyone, New to the the forum and newer to Wisconsin. I moved here from Iowa about a year ago and have been pacinally waiting to have my concealed carry back as Wisconsin passes it and it becomes active Nov. 1. I have not oc carried much and will be looking to start carrying open some. Not so sure if I want to tackle Madison and Sun Prairie as my first oc experience. Just thought I would say hi and cant wait to maybe meet some of you at a oc gathering or picnic.
Thanks Kirk

BROKENSPROKET

Welcome. I would say Madison would be fine for a first time, just don't look nervous or apprehensive. I don't thing that they want any more lawsuits.

Two weeks after the Culver's incident, I came out of Wal-Mart on Nakoosa Trail just SW of East Towne Mall late at night and there was a MPD squad car right at the front door with the officer looking straight at me. I nodded to him and walked within 3 feet of his bumper with my strong side towards him. Not a problem.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Welcome Madhatter!

Welcome! You will find a wealth of information on this forum including events. There is a picnic this Saturday you may want to attend if the drive isn't too far. I believe it is the Rock River Patriots or something like that....it is posted in the forum.

Once again....welcome and hope to meet you at an event!

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to WI, and welcome to the boards!!!!

Funny, as I'm typing this I'm a WI resident living in IA this week........ Irony!

Anyways, again, welcome to the boards. There is a wealth of knowledge here, as well as a great group of people. Tons of OC activities happening all of the time, so hopefully I'll bump into you at one soon!

I know there is a pancake breakfast in Brookfield on the 17th that a bunch of us are attending, and I saw a Zombie shoot coming up too.

MKEgal

Welcome aboard.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you expect to be able to cc in WI on your Iowa permit?

The new law says that if you are NOT a WI resident, you can carry on any valid permit (as long as it required a background check, and do you know of any that don't?) starting 01NOV.

But since you're now a subject of WI, you have to wait for the DOJ to get off its collective tuchus, post the application form on its website, process applications, & mail out permits... all of which they're still planning to start 01NOV, so maybe a few very lucky WI residents will be allowed to cc by Thanksgiving.
(Can anyone say "unequal protection of the law"? 14th Amendment, anyone?)

You can, however, use that Iowa permit as "proof of training" to get your WI permit.

Want to join the 01NOV meet-n-greet @ the DOJ in Madison?
Some of us are planning to be there bright & early to hand in permits in person.
Then I suppose there might be some sort of unorganized breakfasty thing after... :monkey

madhatter12

No, I understand that since I am now a Wisconsin Resident that I must obtain a Wisconsin permit. That is what i was talking about when I said that I am waiting for Nov. 1 to get my new permit and be able to carry cc again. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I will also see about joining the meet and greet at the DOJ. Be nice to hand in that permit nice and early.

Last edited:

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Carry On!

Hello Everyone, New to the the forum and newer to Wisconsin. I moved here from Iowa about a year ago and have been pacinally waiting to have my concealed carry back as Wisconsin passes it and it becomes active Nov. 1. I have not oc carried much and will be looking to start carrying open some. Not so sure if I want to tackle Madison and Sun Prairie as my first oc experience. Just thought I would say hi and cant wait to maybe meet some of you at a oc gathering or picnic.
Thanks Kirk

Welcome to the forum, AND welcome to Sun Prairie! I carry almost every day, everywhere it is legal to do so. To date, no problems in Sun Prairie, or Madistan for that matter. PM me if you want to get together at a local eatery. PLANKTON

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Welcome! Don't let Mad-town intimidate you into not exercising your rights. That's exactly what they hope to achieve, and if they do, then the terrorists have won. haha! Although you might be pleasantly surprised! (But as they say in the weight loss commercials, "results my vary.")

TyGuy

Welcome! I'm just a FIB, but I have to get up to WI to breathe some freedom from time to time. I don't plan on being a FIB in the next 2-3 years though. Enjoy WI, it's a beautiful state.