• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The term Tea Party

Uber_Olafsun

Am I the only one who is finding it hilarious that on any website that if someone disagrees with anything political by someone else the term Tea Party, Teabaggers, other insulting versions of it get used to discredit the person? I have seen it on the washington post, fox news, cnn, USA today and a few more sites. You could have one site that is for less govt and one for more and they both try to insult each other by saying they are part of the tea party? Looks like they are becoming the ultimate punching bag for anyone that doesn't want to use facts to back up their opinion.

OldCurlyWolf

Am I the only one who is finding it hilarious that on any website that if someone disagrees with anything political by someone else the term Tea Party, Teabaggers, other insulting versions of it get used to discredit the person? I have seen it on the washington post, fox news, cnn, USA today and a few more sites. You could have one site that is for less govt and one for more and they both try to insult each other by saying they are part of the tea party? Looks like they are becoming the ultimate punching bag for anyone that doesn't want to use facts to back up their opinion.

We will overcome!:lol:

Tawnos

Calling names is the first resort of those lacking the intellect to engage constructively.

I agree, and it's as true now when someone calls the president "obozo" as it was when someone called the former president "shrub".

Of course, the "tea party", as well as "tea baggers" is a self-elected title. Some would be proud to be called such, some wouldn't. I think the insult is in the eye of the beholder, there (and people not knowing what tea bagger meant prior to being informed that they were suggesting they stick their balls on someone's face). That is, some may rightfully agree "(s)he's a tea party/tea bagging blah blah blah" and see it as a good thing, others would say "ew, those tea party/tea bagging blah blah blah".

Beretta92FSLady

Calling names is the first resort of those lacking the intellect to engage constructively.

Ironic you state this, considering your statement implies that the individual lacks the capacity to engage constructively.

Regarding the termed 'tea party'. Hopefully, a mere hiccup on the 'right'. If not, this is going to be an exciting election season, and the 'far right' are going to lose politically.

I think Romney would be the Republicans best bet for making President Obama a one-term President. If it's Perry, President Obama will win by a wider margin this time around, basically, more than ten million votes his competitor in 2008.

Daylen

Ironic you state this, considering your statement implies that the individual lacks the capacity to engage constructively.

Regarding the termed 'tea party'. Hopefully, a mere hiccup on the 'right'. If not, this is going to be an exciting election season, and the 'far right' are going to lose politically.
Hopefully? I thought you were all for dems winning and Obama being a 2 term drag on the economy. Are you equating the tea party with the far right? I didn't realize the tea party was about using the government to actively keep society from changing, I thought they were upset about being Taxed Enough Already, ya know economic liberty and such.
I think Romney would be the Republicans best bet for making President Obama a one-term President. If it's Perry, President Obama will win by a wider margin this time around, basically, more than ten million votes his competitor in 2008.

Romney? Another looser like McCain? Is that because such middle of the left republican candidates always do so well at loosing? In '08 we tried that type of candidate and it didn't work out so well, but I expect your comments are more to try and convince people to vote for the weaker candidate in hopes they are insane. Insane: doing the same thing again and again, but expecting different results.

Beretta92FSLady

Hopefully? I thought you were all for dems winning and Obama being a 2 term drag on the economy. Are you equating the tea party with the far right? I didn't realize the tea party was about using the government to actively keep society from changing, I thought they were upset about being Taxed Enough Already, ya know economic liberty and such.

The 'tea party' IS the 'far right'. Call them what you will, but let's get real here, we all know their geo-political location. Well, the 'tea party' is complaining about being taxed, although they are taxed less under President Obama than any other administration. Call me on it, if I am wrong about that.

Romney? Another looser like McCain? Is that because such middle of the left republican candidates always do so well at loosing? In '08 we tried that type of candidate and it didn't work out so well, but I expect your comments are more to try and convince people to vote for the weaker candidate in hopes they are insane. Insane: doing the same thing again and again, but expecting different results.

I am merely stating that from a politically viable candidate that has a snowballs chance in unseating President Obama, Romney has the best chance.

Daylen

The 'tea party' IS the 'far right'. Call them what you will, but let's get real here, we all know their geo-political location. Well, the 'tea party' is complaining about being taxed, although they are taxed less under President Obama than any other administration. Call me on it, if I am wrong about that.

Um ok thats easy. Administrations that taxed less than Obama's:

#1. George Washington
through
#27. William Howard Taft
#30. Calvin Coolidge
#40. Ronald Reagan
#41. George H. W. Bush

Bush #2 was about a tie so I didn't list him.

As to as far right, I can't see putting the tea party in the same category as Teddy Roosevelt, Taft, Harding and Hoover. Less government is not a far right type thing it is a libertarian type thing. It used to be something those now in the far left used to want back when the man was taking away their drugs.

Beretta92FSLady

As to as far right, I can't see putting the tea party in the same category as Teddy Roosevelt, Taft, Harding and Hoover. Less government is not a far right type thing it is a libertarian type thing. It used to be something those now in the far left used to want back when the man was taking away their drugs.

Sorry, I snipped the fluff.

The 'tea party' is in the same category as the 'looney left'. Both have jump the track.

OldCurlyWolf

You better hope he doesn't. The consequences of that could be horrendous.:cuss:

Beretta92FSLady

If you really believe this then you have no understanding of the current political situation.

Sorry, sir, what am I supposed to do with this opinion of yours? The least you could have done was more strategically stated your response, such as: Obviously, you are not well read(e) in our national politics.

Then again, that is more a Slow statement. And you pale in Slow's wake.

Beretta92FSLady

http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/amdt16_user.html#amdt16_hd7
no real income tax before 1913 and what was attempted was a few %. this covers
#1 George Washington
through
#27 Taft

Well then, this is irrelevant. This would be like comparing oil consumption today to oil consumption prior to it being utilized as a form of energy.

Seriously, read your freaking links. You are joking, right? I hope every person reads through your link, so they can see that in this case, what you are asserting is complete BS. I really hope that you are merely being sarcastic.

I genuinely do not mean to come off as harsh.

Really, we have had a number of exchanges, and you should know that I am capable of not only writing, but reading. Please, save these false assertions for the masses that tend to occupy this page, and left-wing pages.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I don't know about you guys but I'm still Teed off that my once beloved Tea Party was co-opted and taken over by establishment blank-hats. :uhoh: Wait, am I the only one? :uhoh:

In all seriousness, there are still those that are members of the Tea Party that fall more into the independant and libertarian mindset; even some liberals, but they are getting fewer and fewer. I may have to even change my avatar to the Free State flag with the porcupine just to differentiate myself. On second thought; I'm taking it back. I had it first! :mad:

In any case, there were times when big government and taxes have been derided by both parties. The independant and libertarian wings of the Tea Party stand for that but now the establishment on both sides of the left-right paradigm want big government spending for their favorite issues but not the other sides issues and have drowned out the others who aknowledge that you cant have your cake and eat it too. The media hasn't helped things either. So what is a poor minarchist libertarian like myself to do? :cry: I kind of feel like I got kicked out of my own house. :eek:

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I don't know about you guys but I'm still Teed off that my once beloved Tea Party was co-opted and taken over by establishment blank-hats. :uhoh: Wait, am I the only one? :uhoh:

In all seriousness, there are still those that are members of the Tea Party that fall more into the independant and libertarian mindset; even some liberals, but they are getting fewer and fewer. I may have to even change my avatar to the Free State flag with the porcupine just to differentiate myself. On second thought; I'm taking it back. I had it first! :mad:

In any case, there were times when big government and taxes have been derided by both parties. The independant and libertarian wings of the Tea Party stand for that but now the establishment on both sides of the left-right paradigm want big government spending for their favorite issues but not the other sides issues and have drowned out the others who aknowledge that you cant have your cake and eat it too. The media hasn't helped things either. So what is a poor minarchist libertarian like myself to do? :cry: I kind of feel like I got kicked out of my own house. :eek:

Brass, I may be missing the jist of what you are stating, but: Republicans (Conservatives), Democrats (Liberals), different sides of the same coin. What we need is a viable Third Party.

A viable Third Party will only be viable if the masses are Informed, not 'informed'. That's assuming the masses have sufficient knowledge, the capacity to reason, and a thorough understanding of where we are, where we were, and where we should be going. Good luck!