• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK2A BBQ This Weekend

Aknazer

I was curious if anyone else here was going to the OK2A BBQ this Saturday. Apparently the director of the GoA is going to be speaking there.

okboomer

What? I didn't know it was going on ... where was it? Did you go? How was it? Did you open carry an empty holster?

Aknazer

I went and it was nice. I didn't carry an empty holster as I was CCing, but I could have OCed at the event if I would have brought the holster. There were two reps from the OK congress, but I forget their names sadly (one was the owner of the ranch). Larry Pratt gave a good speech and they talked about some plans to work on advancing the 2A. One of the examples is working to push for a constitutional carry bill next year and how more fundraising will need to be done for it to educate the public. Also talked about how nearly all gun bills will auto fail until three specific people are gone as they have the control over what bills are heard and they generally don't willingly allow gun bills to be heard (Sue Tibbs is one of them).

Overall I really like what they are trying to do and I would recommend anyone who wants to get involved in the 2A movement in Oklahoma I would recommend that they look into joining OK2A.

Aknazer

Now that I'm at home and not on my phone I can expand on what I said in my previous post.

Basically, due to Sue Tibbs and two other Republicans the group expects it to be a very tough fight to get things like Constitutional Carry and Open Carry even heard until after the 2012 elections when these three are term limited out due to their control over what bills are heard (excluding things like a discharge petition to force things to be heard; but that is still a tough fight to go that route). However they still have plans to push for both CC and OC next year. When they start making the push I'll be sure to post here about it, but I would recommend everyone to join the group to be able to help out. They expect a lot of opposition to both CC and OC and as such they also plan to do various things to try and help educate the public on the subject (they specifically mentioned commercials and talk radio, but were vague enough to sound like they had other plans as well). The issue currently with the public education is simply trying to raise the funding for it as air-time isn't cheap.

They also gave out some awards to politicians for their efforts in restoring the 2A to Oklahoma. Only two congressmen were able to attend, but more had originally planned on being there (I know they said one had a death in the family, not sure about the others). They also plan on doing it again next year. There was also a bit of talk about how the group was formed and basically it was several people who were tired of groups like the ORA not really supporting the 2A and so the founders made the group to do something about it.

It was at the Buffalo Waller Ranch up in northern Oklahoma which is owned by Rep Vaughan and yes he was one of the two Reps in attendance. There was also various target practice, skeet shooting, and even a mini shooting competition for the kids.

okboomer

Cool, thanks for the info. Off to check and see if OK2A is any better organized than the last time I tried to join up ... about 6 months ago it was a 'bust' but they did say they were still working on the site :lol:

Aknazer

Good luck! They keep having issues where their site randomly goes down and they have no clue why (I think they need someone a bit more tech savvy to keep the website updated and to add a forum to it as well as dealing with these issues). If its down and your interested I can see about getting you in touch with the people to get added to the email list.

Note that the website is ok2a.org and not www.ok2a.org

Last edited: