Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A tale of OC'ing in portsmouth :banghead:

A tale of OC'ing in portsmouth :banghead:

hi, all. my first post, so take it easy on the OC.org newbie

i'll lead off with this;

i was confronted at the dollar general in Cradock last week with my wife and kids. the cashier lady was upset that i was open-carrying in the store. i was walking up to the checkout stand with my items when she stopped me in the aisle.
    she asked me if i was a cop. i said 'no', and then she said that me having that gun in her store bothered her and made her uncomfortable and that she wanted me to leave.
    i asked her if she knew what the DG store policy was on firearms or if there was a sign on the store front permitting firearms. she shrugged her shoulders and then went to look on the store front windows for a sign. ... there was no sign.
    i tried to convince her to the opposite of her opinion while my wife paid for the items, but it was pointless.
    i asked her if she knew of the second amendment and if she knew of VA's gun policy. i even showed her my CWP and photo ID but all my efforts were fruitless. her closed-mindedness and unwillingness to even listen was very frustrating.
    my final statement to her was that i questioned her sanity.

my wife was upset with me that i made such a 'big deal' about it. basically it was an uncomfortable situation for her to watch and be involved in. what she was most upset about was that i vented to her about it right after we left.

now, i've been confroted by rent-a-cops, waitresses, and restaraunt manger's before, but they all have been either willing to compromise (let me tuck it in) or had a policy and stuck to it. but none of them were as hard-headed as this lady was. dealing with stupid people can make things so frustrating. i think i'm spolied at my job by not dealing face-to-face with the stupidity of the general public in my everyday work hours. it is only in my free-time that i get to enjoy such a privlige. lol

i callled back the other day, and spoke with a DG shift-manager. she had heard about me and said that thier policy was that there is no policy, but it is just up to the clerk. that sounds like a load of CRAP to me. if they are gonna kick me out of the store, then i'd rather not be let in.
    i will either tuck it in and conceal it, leave it in my car or just go elsewhere if that is thier policy.

i'll have to get ahold of a store/general manager and dig deeper. i doubt it is just that they have 'no policy'
    i'd think that the shift manager was trying to back up her employee. surprisingly there are no contact #'s on DG's website.
    until i do i plan to CC in that store. if i blouse my shrit and CC; i won't make anyone feel uncomfortable about me abiding the law and minding my own business.

what could/should i have done differently?

WELCOME! to the site, Nilla. Sorry to hear you had this negative experience. I will advise against leaving your firearm in the car unless absolutely necessary. Good job on your attempt to open her mind to the situation.

First off welcome to OCDO.org.

You will probably be told by a number here to never request signs. Also as privately owned property if you are asked to leave, do so immediately, or you are risking a trespassing charge. My response would have been to hand the clerk the items I was planning on purchasing, and walk out. Then go to a competitor and purchase the items, and send a copy of the receipt to the manager with a note about loosing the sale and why.

If you do not have one get a digital recorder that can be kept in your pocket, will record for the whole day, and can be downloaded to your computer.

Again welcome.
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 09-08-2011 at 09:49 PM.

General Tips

Welcome! Lots of knowledge on here.

Some tips:
    don't even mention a sign unless one already exists. If a sign gets posted, then CC is no longer available as an option.

don't patronize anti-gun establishments. Always be prepared to leave and go somewhere else.

don't leave to put your gun in your car, and then return to give them your money

consider not OCing to places where you suspect you may encounter trouble with friends/family in tow unless they share your dedication

record everything

How were you dressed?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

leave it in my car
    WORST IDEA EVER. Give no business! why be defenceless and leave $100's of dollars in a car that criminals could snatch!

Hey welcome! dinner coming up in a week http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...brier-mall-7pm

Last edited by ocholsteroc; 09-09-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: I said dinner coming out.. I ment up..
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Welcome to OCDO and the life of an OCer.

Being a newbie you automatically get kid glove treatment. But it does not mean you get a free pass. I'm glad you are willing to ask what you should have (might have) done differently. Take a deep breath.

As has already been mentioned, once you are asked to leave you do so. You may mutter under your breath, or shout to the heavens as you head immediately towards the exit and cross the threshold. Just consider which one you want folks (especially your wife and kids) to remember and constantly bring up.

Please don't ask them to post signs.

Please don't ask the line staff about store/corporate policy - that's what management is for. You may have to go back in person the next day, and may have to go back unarmed until you know for sure what the policy is. Once you sort it out with management (that was your objective - finding out information and not going in to lecture them about the Second Amendment, right?) they can deal with straightening out their employees. It also helps when you can tell the manager that you are such a law-abiding citizen that as soon as the cashier asked you to leave you did so, regardless of how you felt about being asked to leave when you felt you had done nothing wrong. You can ask them to call in the employee and verify that you were unaggressive and immediately left - if your behavior was such that you want the manager to hear about it with you sitting there. And you know the manager will hear about it whether you are there or not! (I get the feeling that your conversation with the manager was over the phone. You lose a lot of opportunities when you are not there face to face.)

There is no "rule" about how to deal with someone who says that [] having that gun in her store bothered her and made her uncomfortable and that she wanted me to leave. But often telling them (in a non-sarcastic tone) that you are sorry that the presence of the handgun bothers them and then quickly and in as few words as possible explaining why you carry (I carry to protect myself and my family over there <points to wife and kiddies>) does a lot more towards a positive outcome than trying to convince her to the opposite of her opinion while my wife paid for the items ... or ask[ing] her if she knew of the second amendment and if she knew of VA's gun policy... or show[ing] her my CWP and photo ID ... and certainly more positive than "my final statement to her was that i questioned her sanity".

As you mentioned, the experience was frustrating. But our objective ought to be to educate and to win over folks, not make demands regarding their behavior and not to insult them.

A final statement - your Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one against the government. Private property owners, including business owners who invite the public onto their property, have no restriction against telling you your gun is not allowed. Your recourse, should you not be able to convince them to alter their policy, is to not patronize them.

I applaud and encourage you resolve to "dig deeper" into the matter. But please remember that your objective is to make DG believe that all OCers (as represented by you) are law-abiding citizens who are polite and respectful of the rights of others just as they (you) hope DG will be towards you (the rest of us OCers).

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I strongly agree with Skid. You want to be the best ambassador for OC that you can be and not allow your frustration to get the better of you and be punitive or pushy.

If you can't get people to change themselves from inside, it's best to just not go there and avoid giving them 'clues' (like post signs) or ideas, or make it harder for the next person who might try to OC who really needs a HG (an old timer, a female, or a disabled person) to help level the playing field.

$.02
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Most Clerks back down very quickly if you ask for the number for the store/regional manager while holding your cell phone.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    First off welcome to OCDO.org.

You will probably be told by a number here to never request signs. Also as privately owned property if you are asked to leave, do so immediately, or you are risking a trespassing charge. My response would have been to hand the clerk the items I was planning on purchasing, and walk out. Then go to a competitor and purchase the items, and send a copy of the receipt to the manager with a note about loosing the sale and why.

If you do not have one get a digital recorder that can be kept in your pocket, will record for the whole day, and can be downloaded to your computer.

Again welcome.
    Do this
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    What Skid said.
    +1
    Also.. get some Open carry cards.. they end up being a third party resource that you can reference and had out for the person to read later so they don't have to admit they were wrong right in front of you.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

http://www.dollargeneral.com/helpdes...veQuestion=yes

To contact our Customer Service Department by phone, please call 877-463-1553.
    Corporate Office 100 Mission Ridge ■ Goodlettsville, TN 37072

Per Google Maps their main # is (615) 855-4000 .
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://www.dollargeneral.com/helpdes...veQuestion=yes

Corporate Office 100 Mission Ridge ■ Goodlettsville, TN 37072

Per Google Maps their main # is (615) 855-4000 .
    Yes, DG HQ is in my neck of the woods. What you encountered is an anti working for DG and not someone representing their policies. I OC in DGs all over Nashville (Goodlettsville is one of our suburbs). According to several DG managers I've spoken with, DG's policy is to follow state law for customer carry.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

There is no "rule" about how to deal with someone who says that [] having that gun in her store bothered her and made her uncomfortable and that she wanted me to leave. But often telling them (in a non-sarcastic tone) that you are sorry that the presence of the handgun bothers them and then quickly and in as few words as possible explaining why you carry (I carry to protect myself and my family over there <points to wife and kiddies>) does a lot more towards a positive outcome than trying to convince her to the opposite of her opinion while my wife paid for the items ... or ask[ing] her if she knew of the second amendment and if she knew of VA's gun policy... or show[ing] her my CWP and photo ID ... and certainly more positive than "my final statement to her was that i questioned her sanity".
    I am serious with this question and not trying to be flip.

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again. Why answer them or acknowledge them at all? Why answer any questions? Why give any explanation. Why answer any question from a drone in a smock? It is absolutely none of their business what your occupation is.

These haters of freedom are obviously keyed up enough to confront a stranger with a handgun. They are not looking for explanations or debate. They will not have a change of heart because of the OCer's pleasant charisma or demeanor. They only wish to impose their twisted rage and will on the hapless OCer.

Picturing the OCer as some sort of ambassador during this part of a confrontation seems a bit overly optimistic to say the least. Now how the OCer handles the manager and corporate after the negative encounter is a different story.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again. Why answer them or acknowledge them at all? Why answer any questions? Why give any explanation. Why answer any question from a drone in a smock? It is absolutely none of their business what your occupation is.

These haters of freedom are obviously keyed up enough to confront a stranger with a handgun. They are not looking for explanations or debate. They will not have a change of heart because of the OCer's pleasant charisma or demeanor. They only wish to impose their twisted rage and will on the hapless OCer.

Picturing the OCer as some sort of ambassador during this part of a confrontation seems a bit overly optimistic to say the least. Now how the OCer handles the manager and corporate after the negative encounter is a different story.
    There is much truth here. If these folks were really half as scared as they claim to be, then they wouldn't even come near you, much less confront you about it.

TFred

i will either tuck it in and conceal it, leave it in my car or just go elsewhere if that is thier policy.
    In other words you will capitulate to their demands and shop there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    Hey Man, in Nilla's FIRST post here on OC.org he clearly states that he is an OC newbie. Your ideas would be more effective with positive advice on how he can do things better and possibly reasons behind them. He also very clearly stated he is open to opinions/ideas to improve. Just my opinion that none of your contribution provided this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7
    .... He also very clearly stated he is open to opinions/ideas to improve. Just my opinion that none of your contribution provided this.
    Obviously you didn't read what Skidmark said (just to give one example in this thread). I've only personally met Skid one time and found him to be a pleasant and interesting dinner 'host', for want of a better description. I've also read many things he says on OCDO, and here I've found him to very often be the voice of reason. In my opinion he gave some excellent advice as to how Nilla could improve and, better yet, why that particular improvement is a good idea. Just my $0.02

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Welcome to the site!

The one thing no one mentioned is never show your CHP. You shouldn't even have one...but it has NOTHING to do with OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post

How were you dressed?
    jeans and a polo t-shirt. work boots and baseball cap

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post

How were you dressed?
    clean, work jeans and a logo'd cotton polo short-sleeve. work boots and baseball cap

i appreciate everyone's helpful responses. this thread has more replys than i expected, and it is really covering alot more facets than i thought it would have.

thank you for posting the DG phone #. had i actually tried to look any harder, i would have easily found it my self. somehow ... GOOGLE KNOWS EVERYTHING!

this after noon i got thru to someone, and was providing information of the events when the call was ended without notice at the stroke of 1659 EST. i did not loose signal, or hang up on my end, nor was i driving thru a tunnel.
    my mind can only ponder what happened. i called back, but the line rang for just over 6 minutes until the call was eneded again in the same manner.
    looks like i can put down my 'shovel' until monday. the digging will have to wait

looking back on it all now; i really made an ass-hat out of my self when i did not abandon my items and family in the aisle, but instead tried to convince an un-convinceable clerk.

when i asked the clerk about signage; i was not trying to hint at there should be signs on the store front. i knew that there were none, and i was exploring the clerk's lack of knowledge on the store policy.
    she appeared to be clueless about the store policy (i was making the assumption that it was permitted, given the lack of signage)

it was 1930 hours, so i did not think to call upper management/supervision. had it been earlier in the day, it would have crossed my mind to ask to speak to the store manager. i still don't think i would have drawn my phone ...

the digital audio recorder sounds like it would be a useful tool. the only ones i have right now expire after about 2 hours. although it's use may be few and far between, it would be indispensable to have a record of events like this. ... especially if i would have behaved my self like a big-boy.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post

handyhamlet; wow... i'll not be flip either. i'll try to answer your questions directly.
    it'd be rude not to answer or acknowledge them at all. an explanation of one's reasoning/occupation may be enough to at least calm nerves, if nothing else.
    i find that most people are just genereally un-eduaceted about OCing, and fear is the natural reaction to something you don't know about. like little kids and the 'dark'
    i'm not convinced that this woman was trying to hate on my 2A parade up and down the aisles. again, this instance was more about her fear than of her twisted rage.
    i absolutely feel that i am an 'ambassador' of sorts when i OC. if i go out strapped and make a danmed fool of my self and get my story in the news; it would cast a more negative shadow on those of us who do choose to OC.
    'hey, did you hear about that guy in _insert town_ that had a gun and did _something unacceptable__'
    obviously when i called the store last week, the dramatic story of a violent man with a gun (me) getting upset and arguing with a clerk had been told to the shift manager, and i'm sure the rest of the DG's smock-wearing team.
    i could not have made a posiitve and respectful first impression with management because this negative encounter would be the frist thing the mangement would hear of me, making this all the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Welcome to the site!

The one thing no one mentioned is never show your CHP. You shouldn't even have one...but it has NOTHING to do with OCing.
    why should i refrain from showing my CHP? is there something wrong with displaying it?

-when i did so i was making a last-ditch effort to convince her, and obviously not thinking clearly-

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    it is reeeeeeaaally close and convieneint. like; i've walked there to get stuff, even when it's not a super-perfect day to be outside.

i put down my 3 options in no particualr order. shopping else where at least until this matter is settled would be the first option. CC'ing as to not upset anyone but allow my self some security would be next, and throwing in the towel being the last option for many reasons.

did i mention how close and convieneint it is? wally-world is like a half-hour minimum ordeal and a few bukks in gas. especailly at the high-traffic times of the day/evening. and i HATE HATE HATE traffic

skid and wolf posted up some good stuff. exaclty what i was looking for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast