• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

another "i will be visiting your state" thread.....

Broondog

yes i know, i heard all of the "ugggh, not again" comments and such ;), but really this thread is different.

yes i will be visiting you state for approximately a month here very soon. while i was perusing the NRA's file on OK firearms laws their page says that residents from contiguous states may purchase firearms and ammunition freely in OK. is this really true? i know that MO passed a similar bill/law this legislative session but you know what they say, reading is believing.

so if this is really true, can one of y'all point me to the correct OK state statute that will put this in writing for me? many thanks would be in order if someone would.

i am interested in going to the gun show in Oklahoma City during the weekend of Oct, 15-16 and you know how gun shows are. sometimes that deal of the century (or at least the month :lol:) presents itself and knowing your limitations beforehand is helpful.

thanks in advance guys! i found all of the OC and car carry info already in this forum but i don't believe anyone has presented this question yet.

Aknazer

Depends on what you're after. Whenever I buy ammo I don't have to show residency. The same has gone for guns that aren't pistols or have a pistol grip. So don't try to buy a pistol or pistol gripped shotgun and you should be good. IANAL

Broondog

yeah see, that's the beauty of gun shows, at least for me anyway. i don't know what i'm after until i see it and it's in my hands. it might be an old mauser that needs a new home (my C&R will take care of that) or it might be that AKM variant that i need to fill a hole in my collection. who knows?

i highly doubt it would be a handgun though. something about the 5 day wait kinda sours it for me just a bit. besides, i only plan on making one trip to Oklahoma City during my stay. Tulsa will be my home for the month.

Aknazer

yeah see, that's the beauty of gun shows, at least for me anyway. i don't know what i'm after until i see it and it's in my hands. it might be an old mauser that needs a new home (my C&R will take care of that) or it might be that AKM variant that i need to fill a hole in my collection. who knows?

i highly doubt it would be a handgun though. something about the 5 day wait kinda sours it for me just a bit. besides, i only plan on making one trip to Oklahoma City during my stay. Tulsa will be my home for the month.

There's weird laws with buying handguns. I'm not too positive what they are, but I believe you have to be a resident in the state that you are buying it in (or at least that's what I've been told every time I've bought a handgun). When I bought my Mossberg 500 with pistol-grip they told me that the law also applies to pistol-grip shotguns and rifles as well, but there isn't a waiting period. You simply have to be a resident of the state to buy pistol grip weapons. And by "pistol-grip" they mean a weapon that doesn't have a stock/folding stock.

Now mind you, the whole "pistol grip" thing is what the ATF told my base exchange when they were recently auditted. Before that they would have sold them to out-of-state people, so you can try to buy one at the gun show and see what the vendors say.

Broondog

cool man, thank you kindly for the info. i really, really hate when the darned ATF sticks it's nose into the business of those of us that shall not be infringed.

one day.......just, one day. :D

hrdware

I remember....

reading this rule several years ago. I have it in a book. After I get home, I'll look it up and fine a cite for it (if it still exists) and post what I find.

Broondog

hrdware

Okahoma statute Title 21, Chapter 53, Section 1288 is now completely void and meaningless. Notice the Oklahoma statute prohibits NOTHING. The statute was written to comply with a Federal law which existed prior to a 1986 amendment. As the Federal law stands now, since the 1986 amendment, a person can purchase a rifle/shotgun from an FFL in any state so long as the sale of the rifle complies with both the laws of the purchaser's and seller's states. Since Oklahoma law does NOT prohibit any state's residents from purchasing a rifle/shotgun in Oklahoma, I as a Washington resident could legally purchase a rifle/shotgun from an Oklahoma FFL because there is no Washington or Oklahoma law prohibiting it. The key word, prior to 1986 was that a state law had to exist that allowed the transaction, and then it was limited to only contiguous states. In 1986 the Federal law was amended to allow the transaction between any two states whose laws do not prohibit the sale.

By the same Federal law, you can only be transferred a handgun in your own state of residence. So, if you purchase a handgun outside your state of residence, that handgun must be shipped to an FFL in your own state of residence for transfer to you.

The same Federal law prohibits private sales of any firearm between private party residents of different states. So, you cannot, legally, go to an Oklahoma gun show and walk out with a firearm that you purchased from an Oklahoma private party resident.

This ATF newsletter explains it all:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2004-08.pdf

The applicable Federal law is 18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5) and (b)(3):
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

Also, there is no 5 day waiting period for handgun purchases in Oklahoma.

Thanks for posting those additional links.

The only waiting period in OK is if your NICS check comes back with a 3 day hold.

hrdware

That happened to one of my friends. We laughed at him and told him it was cuz he's Mexican.

It happened to my father-in-law. It got so pissed about it that when the guy called him back to let him know he could come pick up the gun, he told him he no longer wanted it. Like it was the seller's fault or something. I tried to explain it to him, but he didn't want to hear it.

Aknazer

Well I went to the gunshow today to find a bi-pod for my AUG. I was able to find one, but I must say, the selection did not impress me. So far the best OKC gun show I've been to (I only started going this year) was the one in June that was held in the COX building at the fairgrounds. On an unrelated note, the owner of my favorite deli was there and said hi to me and my wife (he actually recognized us first). For anyone in the OKC area looking for a good sandwich I would recommend Nepoleans (spelling?). It's very good and the staff are great and the food is awesome, but they only do lunch.