• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which pistol should I buy????

harleyowner

Unfortunately; there are many questions that need to be answered. first, why do you want to own a hand gun? Does your state require you to pass a gun safety cource to own a pistol before you buy a hand gun, you better check the laws in the state you live in by going to the local police station & ask for a hand gun rule book or to a gun dealership to find out the local laws, for personal protection, for sporting, shooting at a pistol range?, at targets, you just want a hand gun at you home to have around out of sight just in case you get robbed or broken into, I bought & sold many hand guns as a Federal Licensed gun dealer in Massachusetts, Life Member of NRA, GOAL, etc, since retired. For me I rather go for a short barrel revolver, a 357 mag that also shoots 38's, practice with 38's, learn the gun, how does it fit your hand, is it too heavy fully loaded???, then with 357 mag like the old Smith & Wesson old model 19, nickel plated, life time guarantee for the manfacturer in Springfield, Ma, they take back any Smith & Wesson weapon, fix your problem, suggest what fires best in which ever gun you decide to buy for the rest of your life, I also have owned, carried, semi-auto hand guns, first choice is Smith & Wesson, 10 mm, nice light 10 mm with 13 rounds in a clip, yes, I know you will only need 1 shot, I guess the rest are for practice, after putting 1 shot into a person & I sincerely hope you take a police combat course, even thou you may have to pay $500 for the combat course, it sure helps to have all the knowledge of your hand gun that you have lots of responsibility not just to yourself & your family members, but to the general public, , more then 1 shot, is not called in most states self defense, it is called murder, but police officials can shoot you more then 1 shot, unfortunately, police officials have other laws on their side that citizens do not have, I was always taught to put 1 shot right into the throat, if he or she is wearing a bullet proof vest, the decision is yours????

1245A Defender

Wow!!!

That is a very ODD,,, post?
Is he asking, or telling?

special laws for LEOs,,,
one to the throat?
I cant shoot more than once?
I thought I could shoot until I stopped the threat!
Is 10mm the holy grail?
What about 45s? 38 supers?

it is a very trollish post.
welcome to the forum, we have alot to learn, tell us more...

.45acp

Punctuation
Sentence Structure
Spell Check

And last but not least a coherent point of the post would go a long, long way towards thoughtful conversation.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yeah, I'm not quite sure where the gentleman is coming from nor what the thrust of his point may be, but I see quite a few items of misinformation in that post. That and the fact that his writing style makes things a bit difficult when trying extract the theme. The one that got me was this;

"more then 1 shot, is not called in most states self defense, it is called murder, but police officials can shoot you more then 1 shot, unfortunately, police officials have other laws on their side that citizens do not have, I was always taught to put 1 shot right into the throat"

I haven't a clue where he gets this from but it most certainly doesn't hold true in Virginia. And the "I was always taught to put 1 shot right into the throat" is really out there. Try that in a gunfight and see how successful you are.

The gentleman says he was a "Federal Licensed gun dealer in Massachusetts". I sure hope he didn't impart any of this stuff to his customers. If so, they walked away with seriously erroneous information.

To the OP;

First off, we should welcome you to the forums. There is much to learn here from a lot of knowledgeable people. Please take the time and peruse the various forums and see what's to offer. You might want to pay specific attention on some of the things you have mentioned in your initial post as it appears you have a good deal to re-learn. But we're here to help you and hope you enjoy time on the site.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Um...welcome to OCDO? Very strange post indeed. If you are a serious poster I would invite you to stick around and you will learn a lot. First, let me introduce you to "." This little guy is known as a period. It is useful for completing one thought before starting the next. Many of us here are aware of the gun laws and some are well-versed in them. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask away.

j4l

proof that glue-sniffing can cause brain-damage.:banghead:

tim12232

I see a very conservative use of periods "2", and a very liberal use of commas, way to many to count :shocker:

I pray to God, I never have to use my gun for more than a paper punch. But should I because of a life threat, I do not plan on counting shots, just counting my chance of living with every trigger pull. Flame me if you will....

Tim

kubel

You know (not at anyone in particular), it's a lot less rude to just say "welcome to the forums" when it comes to a new members first post, even if it doesn't achieve the quality you are all after.

Flame me if you will....

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure all the flaming is aimed at the OP at the moment.

Last edited:

Ruby

Asking someone new to the forum to use proper sentence structure and punctuation is not rude, IMO. Those things help to get your point across and make the post easier to read.

carry for myself

Asking someone new to the forum to use proper sentence structure and punctuation is not rude, IMO. Those things help to get your point across and make the post easier to read.

this may be rude........but honestly i have no idea what hes trying to say. maybe an internal thought he wanted to write down? maybe he thinks this is like sportsmans magazine and is tryin to write an article on pistol selection? who goes for the throat intentionally? ........im confused.........:uhoh:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Well, I'll tackle this. Troll or not, he raises some common, and not so common questions which deserve to be answered.

Unfortunately; there are many questions that need to be answered.

Welcome to the forum. Here are some answers:

First, why do you want to own a hand gun?

Primarily self-protection. Shotguns and rifles aren't easily carried while out and about; pepper spray is useless until the perp is close enough to kill you with a knife; and pepper spray, tasers, and hand-to-hand combat is useless against an armed attacker who keeps his distance. In short, a hand gun is the only easily-carried fully defensible means of armament available for the majority of defensive situations common to honest, law-abiding citizens.

Does your state require you to pass a gun safety cource to own a pistol before you buy a hand gun...

OpenCarry.org (OCDO) has a great maps section which answers this question for all 50 states. You should check it out.

[are] you better check the laws in the state you live in by going to the local police station & ask for a hand gun rule book or to a gun dealership to find out the local laws, for personal protection, for sporting, shooting at a pistol range?

While local law enforcement might have a basic handbook regarding local laws, particularly with respect to concealed carry (CC), your best source of information are the online, up-to-date laws itself. OCDO's state-specific section (bottom of main page) will help you connect with others in your state who're up-to-speed on your state's laws and who can help you answer specific questions. Gun dealerships can also be a valuable resource, but your best bet is to query multiple sources and check their answers against the law as it is written and has been interpreted by case law in your state. If you find a discrepancy, bring it to the attention of someone in your state-specific forum! You might have stumbled across something the rest of us might want to know!

...at targets, you just want a hand gun at you home to have around out of sight just in case you get robbed or broken into, I bought & sold many hand guns as a Federal Licensed gun dealer in Massachusetts, Life Member of NRA, GOAL, etc, since retired.

Then you're not a newbie.

For me I rather go for a short barrel revolver, a 357 mag that also shoots 38's, practice with 38's, learn the gun, how does it fit your hand, is it too heavy fully loaded???, then with 357 mag like the old Smith & Wesson old model 19, nickel plated, life time guarantee for the manfacturer in Springfield, Ma, they take back any Smith & Wesson weapon, fix your problem, suggest what fires best in which ever gun you decide to buy for the rest of your life

Cool program. Wasn't aware of it.

I also have owned, carried, semi-auto hand guns, first choice is Smith & Wesson, 10 mm, nice light 10 mm with 13 rounds in a clip, yes, I know you will only need 1 shot...

If your aim is perfect, you will only need 1 shot. In reality, you will need as many shots as are required to stop the threat. If that's just one person, which is all too common these days for store robberies, you will probably need at least two, and might need as many as five or six. If there are three perps, you will probably need more shots than one magazine can hold, particularly if they're firing at you from cover. In low-crime areas I carry 33 rounds. In moderate or greater crime areas I carry 65 rounds.

I guess the rest are for practice, after putting 1 shot into a person & I sincerely hope you take a police combat course, even thou you may have to pay $500 for the combat course, it sure helps to have all the knowledge of your hand gun that you have lots of responsibility not just to yourself & your family members, but to the general public...

I disagree with your advice.

...more then 1 shot, is not called in most states self defense, it is called murder...

This is pure bullfeathers. It reflects a serious ignorance of the law in most states, and I'm hereby raising the bullfeather flag.

but police officials can shoot you more then 1 shot, unfortunately, police officials have other laws on their side that citizens do not have...

Police have exceedingly few additional laws on their side that citizens do not. If anything, they're held to a higher standard.

What sometimes happens is that police and justice departments will often treat a police shooting differently than a civilian shooting. For example, unscrupulous departments may treat a police shooting as it's "innocent until overwhelming, incontrovertible, and publicly-available evidence forces us to take any action other than innocent (and we can't even say "guilty" as we'll pull out all stops to get them off)," while treating a civilian shooting as "Ooops! You were trying to play cop, weren't you? Tsk-tsk-tsk, let's see what we can do to make an example out of you."

Fortunately, that "sometimes" is rare.

I was always taught to put 1 shot right into the throat, if he or she is wearing a bullet proof vest, the decision is yours????

By whom? Whoever gave you that advice was an idiot. A person's throat is less than one-quarter the area of one's head. Furthermore, if you hit the head, even with a glancing blow, it's like whacking someone over the head with a 2x4. Might not put 'em down, but it'll sure shake 'em up.

Standard procedure taught throughout the military and various local and federal law enforcement is "Two to the chest, one to the head." And by "chest" they mean "center body mass," so it's really closest to one's solar plexus.

Speaking of which: "The celiac plexus is often popularly referred to as the solar plexus, generally in the context of a blow to the stomach. In many of these cases, it is not the celiac plexus itself being referred to, but rather the region where it is located. A blow to the stomach can upset this region. This can cause the diaphragm to spasm, resulting in difficulty in breathing—a sensation commonly known as "getting the wind knocked out of you". A blow to this region can also affect the celiac plexus itself, possibly interfering with the functioning of the viscera, as well as causing great pain." - Source

A shot to one's solar plexus will put a damper in anyone's day.

As I said, harleyowner, welcome to the forum. As you can see, however, we're well-informed, honest, law-abiding citizens. Please keep that in mind.

Last edited:

.45acp

Since 9, I admire your perseverance in trying to make some sense of and answers to Harley Owners first, one and only “contribution “to Open Carry.

MilProGuy

I'll be happy to oblige you...

For me I rather go for a short barrel revolver, a 357 mag that also shoots 38's, practice with 38's, learn the gun, how does it fit your hand, is it too heavy fully loaded???, then with 357 mag like the old Smith & Wesson old model 19, nickel plated, life time guarantee for the manfacturer in Springfield, Ma, they take back any Smith & Wesson weapon, fix your problem, suggest what fires best in which ever gun you decide to buy for the rest of your life,

In response to the title of your thread, I'll heartily recommend the Taurus model 605 .357 Magnum matte stainless revolver, my BUG.

m605.jpg

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Since 9, I admire your perseverance in trying to make some sense of and answers to Harley Owners first, one and only “contribution “to Open Carry.

I try. The irony of responding to one-post wonders isn't lost on me. Most threads here, most posters have covered most angles. I see message forums as a challenge, to approach things from a perspective others may not have considered , while holding true to my core beliefs and values. I usually succeed, but sometimes fall flat on my face, Lol.

In the case of one-post-wonders, I have little hope they'll ever see it. I think most are trolls from either left-leaning media, police, or more likely, the general public. But one never knows. Regardless, the public at large reads them: "There are currently 545 users online." As such, I do my best to ensure my responses are well-thought-out and well-written so as to reflect positively on everyone here.