• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Crime Prevention from PAFOA

robdoar

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/147404-oc-may-have-prevented-crime-leo-encounter.html

Well here is what happened to me last night:
I went over to Youngstown Ohio around ten to take advantage of the lower gas prices. As I stepped out to insert my card, a car with three black males in their early 20s pulled up in a late model buick regal. Not to be stereotypical, but they were all dressed in typical banger attire, with one exception that really stood out to me: each one wore a black hat that was facing the right way and pulled down low. This struck me as odd. One went into the store and walked around and appeared to be looking at everything and nothing at the same time. I saw the guy inside throw a thumbs up to the guys outside. One guy got in the driver seat and started the car. The other guy started to walk toward the store entrance, walking about 5 feet away from me. As he walked by I saw him glance at me. I was turned strong side facing him.

What happened next, to my mind, can only be attributed to the fact that I was OC.
As he drew parallel to me, he looked at me, looked at my firearm, looked at me again and stopped. He stared at me for about 5 seconds (I think) and I kinda stared back. He turned around and went back to the car, getting in the passenger seat. He got his cell phone, and ten seconds later the guy in the store came walking out. He looked at me as he passed by but didn't say anything. He got in the car and they left.

I went into the store to talk to the clerk, a very nice Arab fellow. He knows me, as I OC there frequently.

Azmat: I think those guys were rob me.
Me: I agree.
Azmat: You scare them off?
Me: I didn't say a word to them.
Azmat: Your gun scare them off.
Me: Perhaps. You should call the police and report this.
Azmat: Yes, I will. You stay and talk to them too?
Me: Sure.

He called the police and ten minutes later they arrived. I was standing outside with Azmat.
Officer 1: That's going to stay in its holster, right?
Me: It typically does unless I tell it otherwise.
Officer 2: Ok no problem, youre not gonna see any Canton PD **** out of us.
Me: It's nice to see that some of the good guys really ARE good guys.
Officer 2: Yeah, so what happened?

We told them the story, and Azmat showed them the tape.

Officer 1: They were definately going to hit the place. However since no crime was actually committed, the best we can do is look for them and see if we hit anything when we pull them over. You guys did great.
Officer 2 (to me): You should submit this to the NRA armed citizen column. We can corroborate your story.
Me: Thanks, I may do that. You guys be extra safe going after these losers.
Both of them: Will do, you guys have a good night.

That was a very interesting night for me. Nobody got hurt, and I met some really good officers.

carracer

Great job! A similar thing happened to one of our IDCDL members in Idaho. Would be interesting to see if you could get a copy of the security tape for that evening.

robdoar

Great job! A similar thing happened to one of our IDCDL members in Idaho. Would be interesting to see if you could get a copy of the security tape for that evening.

Didn't think of that.. if it went into a police report, it's publicly request-able.

okboomer

Officer 2: Ok no problem, youre not gonna see any Canton PD **** out of us.
Me: It's nice to see that some of the good guys really ARE good guys.

ROFLOL!!!!! That is a good one! I am extremely happy to see that one is making the rounds and cops are aware of the damage that officer has done!

Sky1

Cool that you kept your composure.
I tend to get a bit agitated when homeys try and stare me down like that.

Dahwg

I call BS! According to the anti-OC crowd, you should have been the first one shot and your gun taken to perpetrate the crime. /sarcasm

Great job! Glad it went the way it did. I had a similar experience in the past but cops were not called. Thinking back I wish i would have secured a copy of the tape. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.