• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something Different about registration...Moving to and from Michigan

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
We all know our state requires pistol registration. BOOO

So that aside. What happens to said pistol registration when an owner moves to other states and comes to move back to Michigan some time later. Will these same pistols (not other pistols bought while residing in another state/ it is known that these should be registered upon moving to Michigan) ... will these previously registered handguns now require a new registration to the same owner that moves back to Michigan, presumably to a completely different address?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
We all know our state requires pistol registration. BOOO

So that aside. What happens to said pistol registration when an owner moves to other states and comes to move back to Michigan some time later. Will these same pistols (not other pistols bought while residing in another state/ it is known that these should be registered upon moving to Michigan) ... will these previously registered handguns now require a new registration to the same owner that moves back to Michigan, presumably to a completely different address?

IANAL. But once registered in Michigan always registered in Michigan.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

IANAL. But once registered in Michigan always registered in Michigan.

This brings up an interesting question.

What kind of issues will I be dealing with if/when an officer from michigan runs my pistol s/n? There is no requirement for firearms registration in Iowa.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
So, if the 'new' state of residence has a provision similar to MI that the pistols be registered when they are 'imported' into the state, the previous state's registration still is in effect?

Scooter123

An interesthing question, plus a possible "hole" in the regristration laws. Since there is no means to unregister, what happens if you move out of state, is that residence still linked to the gun registration database? Also, can anyone provide a quick link to what's required for those who change their residence, as in do you have to re-register at the PD or Sheriff for the new residence?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This brings up an interesting question.

What kind of issues will I be dealing with if/when an officer from michigan runs my pistol s/n? There is no requirement for firearms registration in Iowa.

Ask why he is running the pistol. Only 8 states require handgun registration. So most pistols are unregistered. Most likely he will say to see if it's on a stolen list. Ask his RAS to believe it's stolen. Then ask him to run all the model numbers of all your property in your car to see if they are on a list...:p

lil_freak_66

you might be able to notify firearms records that it is out of state, and staying out of state...not sure what they'd do...but i do know for a fact that it IS possible to have pistols taken off registration list if you poke and prod enough(at least, Michigan Pistols that have been reconverted to a long arm,unsure about anything else,as i unregistered my 10/22 Mi pistol after reconverting back to long arm configuration, and have audio from the MSP as well as a letter on MSP letterhead stating that it is no longer in the registry,i also brought it into the firearms records division to prove it was no longer a pistol,though it was not needed)

Last edited:

Michigander

After I had my CZ52 destroyed In Arizona, I called the MSP and the local PD I registered it at.

Both told me that they had never heard of any way to unregister a handgun without simply transferring it to another person in state, and that being as I was almost certain it was completely and utterly gone, AND being as I would have a great alibi of having given it to the Phoenix PD if it ever did show up in a crime that I should not worry about it, and tell the cops who had it last that I know of if it ever shows up at a crime scene. While not the best situation to be in, it makes sense, and there is little need for worry in this type of case.

Further, when I came back to Michigan, I did some more research about whether or not I'd need to re register or anything, and came to all the same conclusions that others did on this thread. If you can't find a law that requires or prohibits an act, it isn't required. Thus, as far as I know, unless someone does you a favor, a registered handgun need not and cannot be re-registered or unregistered.

On the other hand, do keep in mind that when a records dept gets busy, they like everyone else are known to start pencil whipping/throwing away their paperwork which they take less seriously, and thus you can and will occasionally see a situation where a person registers a gun and it never ends up on the registry. But at least we can all take comfort in the fact that Michigan historically has its oppressive registration **** together better than the ATF, which only recently cleaned up the NFA system.....

Last edited: