Thread: In-the-waistband holster for OC?

In-the-waistband holster for OC?

I have a holster that I can use in-the-wasteband or outside on a belt.. Been using it on the outside. Wondering if it would be legal to use on inside with shirt tucked, its less visible. Well, the visibility of the pistol is the same you just cant see the holster.

Similar to this, same rise over the waistband.

Live in VA and sometimes id like to tuck it a little bit in large family crowds(Volunteer with Great Dane Rescue, ), make it less noticeable but still within limits for OC.

Would this be legal or too concealed?

Taking the CHP class next week, wont have to worry about it in 2 months, but for now I was curious.

Thanks!

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    I have a holster that I can use in-the-wasteband or outside on a belt.. Been using it on the outside. Wondering if it would be legal to use on inside with shirt tucked, its less visible. Well, the visibility of the pistol is the same you just cant see the holster.

Similar to this, same rise over the waistband.

Live in VA and sometimes id like to tuck it a little bit in large family crowds(Volunteer with Great Dane Rescue, ), make it less noticeable but still within limits for OC.

Would this be legal or too concealed?

Taking the CHP class next week, wont have to worry about it in 2 months, but for now I was curious.

Thanks!
    As long as a "reasonable person" can see it and identify it as a handgun, it's open carry, i.e., not concealed. I carry a Sig .40 sometimes in an IWB holster and it's plenty visible. Just make sure your shirt doesn't cover it.

The actual code is: Section 18.2-308 which says, in part, "If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon ..." This section goes on to say, "For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature." Based on the picture your provided, and in my non-lawyer's opinion, you should be okay.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 09-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Yes, in VA you would be ok. This method of carry is often called the Virginia Tuck.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

As others have already said, yes that would be legal. However, I don't see any "retention" in that holster and I would not open carry with at least a level-2 retention holster.

Thanks guys, I simply searched Virginia Tuck in google and found quite a few discussions. preciate it!

Edit- Posted at the same time. Mine does have a thumb snap on it. it uses a clip, not that big spread out flap on the holster pictured.
    Last edited by GreatDaneMan; 09-09-2011 at 04:09 PM.

I always found IWB uncomfortable, but then that is just my personal opinion. I would believe that almost everybody would consider your picture open carry. Unless you run across some extreme anti.

I have lost 30 pounds in the past year so my pants fall down without the IWB or a belt , LOL. On the belt for me sticks out too far.. I keep catching it on chairs, vehicles.. Guess it just would take some getting used to. Ill snag a picture of my personal setup and post it in a few hours..

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    I have lost 30 pounds in the past year so my pants fall down without the IWB or a belt , LOL. On the belt for me sticks out too far.. I keep catching it on chairs, vehicles.. Guess it just would take some getting used to. Ill snag a picture of my personal setup and post it in a few hours..
    LOL if you carry a full size firearm it pulls down the pants if you have lost weight or not. I use a heavy belt that is not through the pant loops, it works better for me. Plus if I go someplace like the hospital that does not allow firearms I can just take the whole rig off. I sometimes use suspenders to hold my pants up, just something us old folks do.

This is it, a little more covered than the pic i posted.
    As for the pants falling down, my Taurus PT145 does keep them up, its not too heavy. compact-midsize.