Thread: Local police OC training bulletines

Local police OC training bulletines

I was reading some Washington State local police force training bulletins (posted on washingtonceasefire) Ya, I know...

anyway, I think that the city of Kent needs some help. They think OC is a "privilage"

"SCENARIO: From time to time, police officers encounter people
    that choose to exercise their 2nd amendment privilege to
    possess or carry a firearm in an “unusual” manner. While not
    common, there have been times when officers are dispatched
    to a “man with a gun” call. While enroute, officers are told
    that the man is walking through a local store, perhaps a
    restaurant, and is carrying a gun. The picture in the
    officers mind might be of a man, gun in hand, storming
    through a local business or down a city street. Upon
    arriving the reality of a local resident shopping, with his
    handgun (large or small) holstered, strapped and openly
    displayed on his hip is the outcome. Is this legal?"

It is hard for me to understand the viewpoint of :

"The picture in the officers mind might be of a man, gun in hand, storming
    through a local business or down a city street. "

Where would these thoughts even come from? What are they teaching these officers?
    Last edited by hermannr; 09-10-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Well, I know that at least a couple of those calls were because of me. ( And I wasn't storming around with gun in hand... )

I'm in Kent and I always OC. The police here know what the deal is now. I haven't been hastled in a couple of years. It is funny though, that the bulletin specifically says privilege. It's probably an older bulletin.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post

Where would these thoughts even come from?
    Seriously? Have you not seen the fantasies posted here???
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Well, I know that at least a couple of those calls were because of me. ( And I wasn't storming around with gun in hand... )

I'm in Kent and I always OC. The police here know what the deal is now. I haven't been hastled in a couple of years. It is funny though, that the bulletin specifically says privilege. It's probably an older bulletin.
    Bulletin was dated 2007

It is hard for me to understand the viewpoint of :

"The picture in the officers mind might be of a man, gun in hand, storming
    through a local business or down a city street. "

Where would these thoughts even come from? What are they teaching these officers?
    To me, this would be due in large part to a deficiency on the dispatch end. More information should be gathered and forwarded on to the responder so they have a better picture of the situation they're dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by geojohn View Post
    To me, this would be due in large part to a deficiency on the dispatch end. More information should be gathered and forwarded on to the responder so they have a better picture of the situation they're dealing with.
    Absolutely, if they are going to dispatch an officer at all, he should have as much information as possible. Also, the 911 caller should be informed that OC is a perfectly legal activity, just like carrying a purse or wallet.

Bulletin was dated 2007
    Yep, that sounds about right... It's a possibility that I might have been the subject of one of these. There are others in Kent that OC alot too, though I've never seen them around.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Doing a youtube search, you can find many dispatch recordings. I have found an equal number of them to be vague and informative. I believe that the LEO will form that picture in his mind using what the dispatcher tells him. I agree with geojohn that the dispatcher needs to gather as much information as possible before making the call. The simple question, "Is the weapon in a holster?" would clear the air.