• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local police OC training bulletines

hermannr

I was reading some Washington State local police force training bulletins (posted on washingtonceasefire) Ya, I know...

anyway, I think that the city of Kent needs some help. They think OC is a "privilage"

"SCENARIO: From time to time, police officers encounter people
that choose to exercise their 2nd amendment privilege to
possess or carry a firearm in an “unusual” manner. While not
common, there have been times when officers are dispatched
to a “man with a gun” call. While enroute, officers are told
that the man is walking through a local store, perhaps a
restaurant, and is carrying a gun. The picture in the
officers mind might be of a man, gun in hand, storming
through a local business or down a city street. Upon
arriving the reality of a local resident shopping, with his
handgun (large or small) holstered, strapped and openly
displayed on his hip is the outcome. Is this legal?"

It is hard for me to understand the viewpoint of :

"The picture in the officers mind might be of a man, gun in hand, storming
through a local business or down a city street. "

Where would these thoughts even come from? What are they teaching these officers?

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

Well, I know that at least a couple of those calls were because of me. ( And I wasn't storming around with gun in hand... )

I'm in Kent and I always OC. The police here know what the deal is now. I haven't been hastled in a couple of years. It is funny though, that the bulletin specifically says privilege. It's probably an older bulletin.

hermannr

Well, I know that at least a couple of those calls were because of me. ( And I wasn't storming around with gun in hand... )

I'm in Kent and I always OC. The police here know what the deal is now. I haven't been hastled in a couple of years. It is funny though, that the bulletin specifically says privilege. It's probably an older bulletin.

Bulletin was dated 2007

geojohn

It is hard for me to understand the viewpoint of :

"The picture in the officers mind might be of a man, gun in hand, storming
through a local business or down a city street. "

Where would these thoughts even come from? What are they teaching these officers?

To me, this would be due in large part to a deficiency on the dispatch end. More information should be gathered and forwarded on to the responder so they have a better picture of the situation they're dealing with.

hermannr

To me, this would be due in large part to a deficiency on the dispatch end. More information should be gathered and forwarded on to the responder so they have a better picture of the situation they're dealing with.

Absolutely, if they are going to dispatch an officer at all, he should have as much information as possible. Also, the 911 caller should be informed that OC is a perfectly legal activity, just like carrying a purse or wallet.

Wobbles

Doing a youtube search, you can find many dispatch recordings. I have found an equal number of them to be vague and informative. I believe that the LEO will form that picture in his mind using what the dispatcher tells him. I agree with geojohn that the dispatcher needs to gather as much information as possible before making the call. The simple question, "Is the weapon in a holster?" would clear the air.