Thread: concealed carry holsters, what's best?

concealed carry holsters, what's best?

I have been carrying my S&W .357 highway patrolman OC lately, have not been stopped and harrassed yet... yet being the opperative word!!

looking into getting my Concealed weapons permit.... I want to continue to carry the S&W after i get the permit..

Any suggestion on what holster to look into, my father in law uses a Bianchi chest rig for his .45 1911,

is that the best there is? he swears by his!

Doc.

There is never a "best" holster, I like to use a Kholster IWB for ccw. Thats just me though. Look at all of your options for it, try it out if you can.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

Short term, many look for a holster they can put on and take off quickly, which still holds the gun in place - perhaps a short termer isn't completely committed to 16/7 carry.

Medium term, I went to a CC shirt (as from 5.11) with underarm pockets. However, this is not secure enough to carry a full metal HG, but works ok for an XDm 9mm 3.8". In fact it's comfy to carry one in each armpit/pocket, AND it doesn't impact your ability to put on or take off your pants (restroom?).

Over all, it's probably better to have a holster which allows you to carry in a position which is the same as your OC - say 4:30 IWB. If you like kydex and leather IWB there are several good ones.

Big factor is a good thick/sturdy belt. (see Tractor Supply!)

HTH
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

I've had quite a few IWB holsters and none of them ever felt quite right. After trying the Supertuck Deluxe from Crossbreed Holsters I'll never wear anything else. (And no I do not work for them, lol.)

http://crossbreedholsters.com/
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
    Vice President - Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
    LOCAL Pamphlet (Feel free to print and hand out)
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

Check out Tucker Gun Leather. I have one of their Texas Heritage IWBs for CC. If you don't want to go IWB they make very nice belt holsters as well.

http://tuckergunleather.com/

Unfortunately, I haven't seen too many factory revolver holsters that I'm all that impressed with.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeXD View Post
    I've had quite a few IWB holsters and none of them ever felt quite right. After trying the Supertuck Deluxe from Crossbreed Holsters I'll never wear anything else. (And no I do not work for them, lol.)

http://crossbreedholsters.com/
    I've heard, read and watched a lot of videos about the Crossbreed Holster, they seem to really be well liked. I'm really leaning towards getting one or possibly two for the two handguns that I have.
    Last edited by BuzWeaver; 09-17-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Crossbreed's are nice. Some other good IWB options are:

Galco King-Tuk
    DeSantis Sof-Tuck
    Comptac M-Tac
    White Hat MaxTuck

One of the forum member's (Cleveland) here has started his own holster company recently. He makes a good IWB for about half the price of the ones listed above. Been using mine on and off for a week. Super comfortable. You might want to check him out.

http://www.clevelandsholsters.com
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I have pretty much transitioned from my former favorite - the Don Hume leather IWB w/thumb break -to a De Santis Kydex IWB. I actually purchased it for a Glock 21 (full-size .45), but it also works quite well with my Glock 23 (compact .40), as well as my S&W 642 "snubbie" .38. So comfortable that I can carry the Glock 21 w/1 extra mag in the attached pouch and not be undully encumbered.

Now it does lacks retention- so that deserves some consideration, but not a problem for me due to the snug fit into my "spare-tire" , while virtual invisible to casual observation under a shirt tuck/flap. I would recommend this holster.

I normally carry in what I consider a 95 % "covered" condition- whether in Colorado, or Texas. This does not advertise my armed condition, and therefore not invite a gun-grab. Any retention device can be overcome. The Glock is readily accessible - yet not exposed. I can easily adjust the degree of "trim" to accomodate the "ambient" circumstances.

Kholster or Crossbreed either one
    Last edited by 10x; 09-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.

I give another vote for the Crossbreed. I have their supertuck IWB holster for my Colt Defender compact .45 and love it.

the problem

The problem is this is a big gun! it fit it any where IWB is cumbersome at best!

I need to find a good hard working chest rig i think.. preferably spring loaded not snap or velcro secured..

I have a Colt defender...it is an excellent IWB gun now that i have replaced the goodyear wraparound grip that it came with.

put some slim walnut checkered panels on!

the .45 is nice but i just adore my Highway patrolman .357 and want to carry it everywhere!!

You may also want to give High Noon Holsters a look. They have high quality holsters. Worth the wait.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort."

J.F.K.

kind of a loaded question but here goes

for IWB www.kholster.com

for outside the waistband any safariland pancake holster
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I'm rather partial to the Fobus line of paddle holsters. They offer good retention of the handgun, the holster is snug on the waistband, and can be easily and quickly removed.

That's a Model 85 .38 revolver on the left and a Millennium Pro PT138 in the center (both in Fobus holsters)
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 09-29-2011 at 02:51 PM.