• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sorry but I've gotta ask a couple CC related questions.

qqq1

I know, this is the OC site. I don't have anywhere else to ask these things. Finally got my CPL here in Saginaw. Don't even get me started on how ridiculous the "we will give you further consideration" letter and interview was. Anyway...

1. Carrying in the car. Can my gun be laying on the seat or does it need to actually be fairly concealed?

2. If I'm on my own private land outside or in house, CC, and cop/dnr/law guy walks up do I have to inform?

3. Answer the door to a cop at my apartment while CC? Different then 2 because it's not my private land.

4. I'm out for a walk around town, CC, and a cop pulls up or walks up ordering me to stop. They just got a report of vandalism right by here and he suspects me. Immediately inform?

5. I'm walking down the street, CC, and a cop either walks up or pulls up next to me to ask if I've seen such and such a car go by that they've gotten complaints about. Clearly not thinking I'm involved in anything. Inform?

budlight

I know, this is the OC site. I don't have anywhere else to ask these things. Finally got my CPL here in Saginaw. Don't even get me started on how ridiculous the "we will give you further consideration" letter and interview was. Anyway...

1. Carrying in the car. Can my gun be laying on the seat or does it need to actually be fairly concealed?

2. If I'm on my own private land outside or in house, CC, and cop/dnr/law guy walks up do I have to inform?

3. Answer the door to a cop at my apartment while CC? Different then 2 because it's not my private land.

4. I'm out for a walk around town, CC, and a cop pulls up or walks up ordering me to stop. They just got a report of vandalism right by here and he suspects me. Immediately inform?

5. I'm walking down the street, CC, and a cop either walks up or pulls up next to me to ask if I've seen such and such a car go by that they've gotten complaints about. Clearly not thinking I'm involved in anything. Inform?

1. With a CPL you can have it anywhere in the vehicle.
2. Technically no, on your own private property there is no need for a CPL to CC so there is no need to disclose.
3. I don't believe so as it's your place of residence. See #2, others may disagree.
4. Since you are carrying under the authority of a CPL and are being stopped or detained, Yes.
5. No, you are not being stopped or detained.

TheSzerdi

By obtaining a CPL you agree to the disclosure rules, which means that even on your own property you must disclose if you are stopped/detained.

Best policy is to disclose every time. Proving in court that you weren't stopped/detained can be an expensive hassle.

(The above does not apply to OC unless you're CC'ing a bug. IANAL. My opinion is worth what you paid.)

Tucker6900

1. With a CPL you can have it anywhere in the vehicle.
Agree

2. Technically no, on your own private property there is no need for a CPL to CC so there is no need to disclose.
Agree. However, just open carry on your own property and take the question out of it.

3. I don't believe so as it's your place of residence. See #2, others may disagree.
Correct. You have leased that property for a time specified on the lease. That property is legally yours for the duration.

4. Since you are carrying under the authority of a CPL and are being stopped or detained, Yes.
Agree. I like to ask the officer if the stop is formal or just casual. If its formal, then inform, if its casual, ask if you are being detained. If not, bid him/her a good day and be on your way.

5. No, you are not being stopped or detained.
Agree.

Last edited:

qqq1

Thanks for the quick answers. Don't worry, I'll be doing my part to show OC is normal and acceptable as well.

In the car, I recommend keeping it where it will stay where you put it in the event of a crash. I use a retention holster mounted to the car. You can keep it how you wish.

I plan on rigging a holster by my right leg, on the side of the radio/air control column thing.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Here is what the disclosure law says:
28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.
Sec. 5f. (1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.
(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:
(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol. (b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card. (3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol
and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
(4) An individual who violates subsection (1) or (2) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $100.00.
(5) An individual who violates subsection (3) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined as follows:
(a) For a first offense, by a fine of not more than $500.00 or by the individual's license to carry a concealed pistol being suspended for 6 months, or both.
(b) For a subsequent offense within 3 years of a prior offense, by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 and by the individual's license to carry a concealed pistol being revoked.
(6) If an individual is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this section, the court shall notify the department of state police and the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the license of that determination.
(7) A pistol carried in violation of this section is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer. If a peace
Page 24
FIREARMS LAWS OF MICHIGAN — 2011
officer seizes a pistol under this subsection, the individual has 45 days in which to display his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer. If the individual displays his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer within the 45-day period, the authorized employee of that law enforcement entity shall return the pistol to the individual unless the individual is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. If the individual does not display his or her license or documentation within the 45-day period, the pistol is subject to forfeiture as provided in section 5g. A pistol is not subject to immediate seizure under this subsection if both of the following circumstances exist:
(a) The individual has his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card in his or her possession when the violation occurs.
(b) The peace officer verifies through the law enforcement information network that the individual is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol.
(8) As used in this section, "peace officer" includes a motor carrier officer appointed under section 6d of 1935 PA 59, MCL 28.6d, and security personnel employed by the state under section 6c of 1935 PA 59, MCL 28.6c.

kubel

With regard to #1, it can be anywhere as long as it's not brandishing (you waving it around in a threatening manner). I keep mine in a pocket holster wedged between my seat and my center console.

G22

Every single one of your questions should have been covered in your CPL class.

Just what in the heck are these instructors teaching people these days? I see questions like this more and more at MGO and it's really getting a bit out of hand.

Someone like qqq1 is gonna get jammed up royally because of these extremely poor instructors.

Good on you qqq1 for asking though. If you have any other questions at all, just ask away. The folks here are plenty knowledgeable and willing to help.

T1mH

Agree

Agree. However, just open carry on your own property and take the question out of it.

Correct. You have leased that property for a time specified on the lease. That property is legally yours for the duration.

Agree.
To expand on this a hotel room is also your residence assuming you have paid money for it so you can CC in a hotel room without a CPL and other rights that apply to your home also apply to a hotel room.

xmanhockey7

Agreed…..my instructor made it very clear that if your holstered firearm became exposed (other then an accident like bending over) you were brandishing and subject to a felony. He was a retired detective who “knew the law.”

Brandishing isn't even a felony but I'm not a cop so I'm sure he's correct.

SpringerXDacp

while my CPL class instructor was a personable guy, he was pretty anti OC.

In my opinion many are, especially those who have been teaching the classes for quite some time.

Over the years, I honestly believed, for them to introduce laws/restrictions pertaining to OC, they were thinking it would be cutting their own throats. In reality, addressing OC in their classes, or elsewhere, is actually advertisement for their classes when folks realize there's less restrictions for OC with a CPL.

TheQ

In reality, addressing OC in their classes, or elsewhere, is actually advertisement for their classes when folks realize there's less restrictions for OC with a CPL.

...unless you live in Ingham County then you have to risk dealing with Aqualina who says OC in a sports stadium with s CPL creates an "absurd" legal situation -- and will convict you. See People v Wilkins.