Thread: Test your Flashlight and let's compare! Sept 24th

Test your Flashlight and let's compare! Sept 24th

So on "another" forum... folks brought up the question on which flashlight

Saturday, September 24, 2011 7-9pm
    Pretty dark night with little moon and sunset at 6:50pm.

Bring every flashlight you own. Maglights to all the high tech stuff.

We'll break up into groups like EDC (everday carry) to home or car... Cost and of course... SHTF to whatever.

No prizes but a good avenue for those deciding what flashlight to get. So put it on the calendar and I'll see you then!

I do have to say I might have the brightest spotlight for under $100 (pocket size). Let's see if someone has something brighter in about the same size package/cost.

PS if you have connections to vendors... let's do it! I'll call around and see if they can come out!
    Last edited by oldkim; 09-18-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Change of venue
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

"Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

This guy has already done the comparisons for me, seeing how it is a little far to drive just to show off a flashlight.

I have one of his early 951 lumen lights that fits inside of a 3 D cell maglight body.

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

It is plenty bright for me. As far as EDC I just use the bright/brighter/brightest setting on my phone or my old Surefire 6p.

bob
    Last edited by BobR; 09-10-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Let's compare...

Sorry but for EDC that is a bit large. I know you said that. I see you are "okay" with your lights but I would say let's see it side by side with the latest technology has to offer.

Also I've found lumens to be a bit less clear - so hence the need for a side by side comparison. I say this as the beam focus is either wide area or spot.

As for an old 6P - what 65 lumens... Okay but not compared to the new LED series 200 lumens.

Sorry but let's really "Shine" a light on the subject and not live in some dark isolated mountain and say it's good enough...
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

Watchmaker has been doing comparisons for sometime and have posted them at Packing4Life.com with information and pictures through his reviews. There is some reading required.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I've got a pair of surefire G2X that I always carry in my backpack (which I pretty much always carry) with a box of matching batteries. In fact, I even have them in the airport right now.

I'd love to see what else I could have done for the 55 or so I paid for each of these. Once you know the place, I'll figure out if I can make it.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    This guy has already done the comparisons for me, seeing how it is a little far to drive just to show off a flashlight.

I have one of his early 951 lumen lights that fits inside of a 3 D cell maglight body.

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

It is plenty bright for me. As far as EDC I just use the bright/brighter/brightest setting on my phone or my old Surefire 6p.

bob
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Watchmaker has been doing comparisons for sometime and have posted them at Packing4Life.com with information and pictures through his reviews. There is some reading required.
    While others have done comparisons, I think this is a great way to see first hand the differences! It is easy to sit on your behind and play in the internet, but it is an entirely different deal to get out their and experience differences in equiptment.

I wholeheartedly support the idea and hope to make the event, I will bring my measly Surefire E2E's to the event and watch in awe as other's bring their flashlights.

Very cool!
    Live Free or Die!

I win.

No comparison.

Thanks for attending.

Geeze, I though it said "test your Fleshlight"...

What a pleasant relief.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    While others have done comparisons, I think this is a great way to see first hand the differences! It is easy to sit on your behind and play in the internet, but it is an entirely different deal to get out their and experience differences in equiptment.

I wholeheartedly support the idea and hope to make the event, I will bring my measly Surefire E2E's to the event and watch in awe as other's bring their flashlights.

Very cool!
    My reference post was not to be in place of this activity, but to add information to those who are seeking information.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I would rather not announce my presence with a light. I melt into the darkness and become a figment of your imagination. A specter, a fleeting image of your most terrible fears.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

i'll take any 2000 lumen flashlight, friend of mine was showing me a list of what he bought and it was high quality off brand, pretty much stomps surefire
    Whoever thought switching to your sidearm was faster than reloading your rifle has never been hit in the **** with a swinging barrel.

You cant fight the Gorgatron with your keys all... willy nilly..

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    I would rather not announce my presence with a light. I melt into the darkness and become a figment of your imagination. A specter, a fleeting image of your most terrible fears.
    You must be a ninja!
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    You must be a ninja!
    That's classified.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Geeze, I though it said "test your Fleshlight"...

What a pleasant relief.
    I doubt that they would invite everyone to test their "Fleshlight" at a public event. Too many might suffer from Stage Fright.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheBunny View Post
    i'll take any 2000 lumen flashlight, friend of mine was showing me a list of what he bought and it was high quality off brand, pretty much stomps surefire
    Just clamp one of these on the bottom of your pistol. The battery should fit in a backpack with no problem.

Cyclops Thor 1.25 Million Candle Power Spot Light

Even if you don't hit them, their retina's will be fried. You could then walk up and knock them out with the butt of your gun.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I doubt that they would invite everyone to test their "Fleshlight" at a public event. Too many might suffer from Stage Fright.
    Well, they did plan this for a very dark night.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

RULES:
    No handling of firearms.
    No showing of firearms. Meaning you can't take your gun out of the holster to show a buddy your new gun you just got. Remember Open Carry is legal (ya like I have to tell you)...
    No weapon mounted lights (you can detach them but no firearms).

If it looks like a firearm - no go. Only flashlights. I plan on inviting the Kent PD to showcase what they have for duty gear.
    Last edited by oldkim; 09-18-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: New location
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

Lightbulb

I like these type of events, and would like to go. I noticed some guys on another forum are doing the same thing on the same date. I wonder if it would be possible to combine both events, since we're all into the same thing, and doing the same thing anyway. I'm not the organizer of either event, I'm mostly just a lurker on both forums, but if someone could coordinate with someone it would be great to have twice as many people in one spot, rather than half as many in two spots.

Here's the link to the thread on the other forum: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...area-GT-in-May
    (The first 2/3rds of the thread (and thread title) are about the last get-together, discussion of the 9.24 event begins on post #68.)
    Last edited by MedusaOblongata; 09-17-2011 at 03:58 PM.

awaiting approval

Great,

I actually posted on that thread but I'm awaiting approval to have it posted.

I have asked for the directions and intent of the demo. I did talk to Mike@PTS at the WAC show today and he directed me to that website.

If you could post on the thread and ask for..

1) address and directions
    2) times (when does it start...)
    3) food? I went through some older threads and it talked about food, etc... if that's the case do you do donations? people just bring food?
    4) cost? any cost associated. Mike told me no but I want to make sure

So, if I can get all these answered I am looking to move my event/demo to this one that has already been set up.

Thanks,
    Young

oldkim@aol.com
    www.shootonthemove.org
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

oldkim doesn't have internet access at the moment, and asked me to post the following:

1) address and directions
    20245 SE 192nd St, Renton Washington

2) times (when does it start...)
    Still working on the time. It will be probably after 6. We have the building as long as we want.

3) food? I went through some older threads and it talked about food, etc... if that's the case do you do donations? people just bring food?

We have had a potluck in the past. A friend and I normally get hamburgers and hotdogs. Then have others bring salads, chips, desert, and such. Soft drinks, etc. Donations would be fine to help cover the cost of the burgers and such.
    4) cost? any cost associated. Mike told me no but I want to make sure. The people who own the party barn let us use it for free. Mike has been generous each time and has given them a gift of flashlights. They really appreciate the lights and we always clean up the place, so they are happy to let me use it again.

Here's a fantastic video of the CandlePowerForum get-together at the same location back in May:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTccHF_gnuc

Btt

Just to bump the the thread.

We will have Mike from Pacific Tactical Solution (PTS) and he will have special event pricing.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

You can save 20% on Fenix and EagleTac Flashlights...

So, just attended the Test Your Flashlight event.

Had a great time and thanks to those that made it out. The next one is set for sometime in May 2012. We'll team up again with Candle Power Forums http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

So I wanted to pass on the savings to those that could not make it. Mike & Julie Seward from Pacific Tactical Solutions (PTS) http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

Is extending a saving of 20% off any Fenix http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp# or EagleTac http://eagletac.com/ products retail price on orders placed from 9/24/11 - 10/31/11

Just visit their website http://www.pts-flashlights.com/ and at checkout add "get together 2011" to the notes and they will charge your credit card accordingly or issue you a refund through PayPal.

You can call Mike at (509) 214-0302
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org