• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Test your Flashlight and let's compare! Sept 24th

oldkim

So on "another" forum... folks brought up the question on which flashlight

Saturday, September 24, 2011 7-9pm
Pretty dark night with little moon and sunset at 6:50pm.

Bring every flashlight you own. Maglights to all the high tech stuff.

We'll break up into groups like EDC (everday carry) to home or car... Cost and of course... SHTF to whatever.

No prizes but a good avenue for those deciding what flashlight to get. So put it on the calendar and I'll see you then!

I do have to say I might have the brightest spotlight for under $100 (pocket size). Let's see if someone has something brighter in about the same size package/cost.

PS if you have connections to vendors... let's do it! I'll call around and see if they can come out!

Last edited:

BobR

This guy has already done the comparisons for me, seeing how it is a little far to drive just to show off a flashlight. :)

I have one of his early 951 lumen lights that fits inside of a 3 D cell maglight body.

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

It is plenty bright for me. As far as EDC I just use the bright/brighter/brightest setting on my phone or my old Surefire 6p. :)

bob

Last edited:

oldkim

Let's compare...

Sorry but for EDC that is a bit large. I know you said that. I see you are "okay" with your lights but I would say let's see it side by side with the latest technology has to offer.

Also I've found lumens to be a bit less clear - so hence the need for a side by side comparison. I say this as the beam focus is either wide area or spot.

As for an old 6P - what 65 lumens... Okay but not compared to the new LED series 200 lumens.

Sorry but let's really "Shine" a light on the subject and not live in some dark isolated mountain and say it's good enough...

Tawnos

I've got a pair of surefire G2X that I always carry in my backpack (which I pretty much always carry) with a box of matching batteries. In fact, I even have them in the airport right now.

I'd love to see what else I could have done for the 55 or so I paid for each of these. Once you know the place, I'll figure out if I can make it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This guy has already done the comparisons for me, seeing how it is a little far to drive just to show off a flashlight. :)

I have one of his early 951 lumen lights that fits inside of a 3 D cell maglight body.

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

It is plenty bright for me. As far as EDC I just use the bright/brighter/brightest setting on my phone or my old Surefire 6p. :)

bob

Watchmaker has been doing comparisons for sometime and have posted them at Packing4Life.com with information and pictures through his reviews. There is some reading required.

While others have done comparisons, I think this is a great way to see first hand the differences! It is easy to sit on your behind and play in the internet, but it is an entirely different deal to get out their and experience differences in equiptment.

I wholeheartedly support the idea and hope to make the event, I will bring my measly Surefire E2E's to the event and watch in awe as other's bring their flashlights.

Very cool!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
While others have done comparisons, I think this is a great way to see first hand the differences! It is easy to sit on your behind and play in the internet, but it is an entirely different deal to get out their and experience differences in equiptment.

I wholeheartedly support the idea and hope to make the event, I will bring my measly Surefire E2E's to the event and watch in awe as other's bring their flashlights.

Very cool!

My reference post was not to be in place of this activity, but to add information to those who are seeking information.

oak1971

I would rather not announce my presence with a light. I melt into the darkness and become a figment of your imagination. A specter, a fleeting image of your most terrible fears.

amlevin

i'll take any 2000 lumen flashlight, friend of mine was showing me a list of what he bought and it was high quality off brand, pretty much stomps surefire

Just clamp one of these on the bottom of your pistol. The battery should fit in a backpack with no problem.

557IAOW00zglulN12dmiPd3bxwGSyLpW3SpTNBPjOBCfwUeudlN_jfo_0f_KATVpMLj6tN6D68FHilpuVZl5fepSCThO8aib0QwXpSeWBWmmpayTPmiSHtasz06Qs6e4SKsuL3lDizPrMiWFPz8r6S0lCO-rqobU7liRz6iLtNhmBsD7GrHBfw

Cyclops Thor 1.25 Million Candle Power Spot Light

Even if you don't hit them, their retina's will be fried. You could then walk up and knock them out with the butt of your gun.

oldkim

RULES:
No handling of firearms.
No showing of firearms. Meaning you can't take your gun out of the holster to show a buddy your new gun you just got. Remember Open Carry is legal (ya like I have to tell you)... :D
No weapon mounted lights (you can detach them but no firearms).

If it looks like a firearm - no go. Only flashlights. I plan on inviting the Kent PD to showcase what they have for duty gear.

Last edited:

MedusaOblongata

I like these type of events, and would like to go. I noticed some guys on another forum are doing the same thing on the same date. I wonder if it would be possible to combine both events, since we're all into the same thing, and doing the same thing anyway. I'm not the organizer of either event, I'm mostly just a lurker on both forums, but if someone could coordinate with someone it would be great to have twice as many people in one spot, rather than half as many in two spots.

Here's the link to the thread on the other forum: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?310143-Seattle-area-GT-in-May
(The first 2/3rds of the thread (and thread title) are about the last get-together, discussion of the 9.24 event begins on post #68.)

Last edited:

oldkim

awaiting approval

Great,

I actually posted on that thread but I'm awaiting approval to have it posted.

I have asked for the directions and intent of the demo. I did talk to Mike@PTS at the WAC show today and he directed me to that website.

If you could post on the thread and ask for..

1) address and directions
2) times (when does it start...)
3) food? I went through some older threads and it talked about food, etc... if that's the case do you do donations? people just bring food?
4) cost? any cost associated. Mike told me no but I want to make sure

So, if I can get all these answered I am looking to move my event/demo to this one that has already been set up.

Thanks,
Young

oldkim@aol.com
www.shootonthemove.org

Mad Pick

oldkim doesn't have internet access at the moment, and asked me to post the following:

1) address and directions
20245 SE 192nd St, Renton Washington

2) times (when does it start...)
Still working on the time. It will be probably after 6. We have the building as long as we want.

3) food? I went through some older threads and it talked about food, etc... if that's the case do you do donations? people just bring food?

We have had a potluck in the past. A friend and I normally get hamburgers and hotdogs. Then have others bring salads, chips, desert, and such. Soft drinks, etc. Donations would be fine to help cover the cost of the burgers and such.
4) cost? any cost associated. Mike told me no but I want to make sure. The people who own the party barn let us use it for free. Mike has been generous each time and has given them a gift of flashlights. They really appreciate the lights and we always clean up the place, so they are happy to let me use it again.

Here's a fantastic video of the CandlePowerForum get-together at the same location back in May:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTccHF_gnuc