• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Potential Move to Cali, Questions

Aknazer

There's a possibility that I could end up moving to California in the next year or so and as such I wanted to ask a few questions about the laws. Namely what are the laws regarding military members who are out-of-state residents bringing their "high capacity" magazines and rifles with shorter than a 20" barrel with them? I've heard something about grandfathering them in but don't really know much about it or where to look.

Oh and if I do get stationed out there it would be up at Buell AFB which I've been told is a lot more laid back than SoCal.

mjones

There's a possibility that I could end up moving to California in the next year or so and as such I wanted to ask a few questions about the laws. Namely what are the laws regarding military members who are out-of-state residents bringing their "high capacity" magazines and rifles with shorter than a 20" barrel with them? I've heard something about grandfathering them in but don't really know much about it or where to look.

Oh and if I do get stationed out there it would be up at Buell AFB which I've been told is a lot more laid back than SoCal.

Importation of "large-capacity" magazines is a felony (PC 12020) I'm fairly certain there is no military exemption for personally owned mags, only stuff issued to you in the scope of your duties. However, if you possessed them within CA at any time prior to 1/1/00 you may legally bring them back into CA. For example, you had them with you here on a prior tour of duty or while on vacation.

Rifle barrel length requirements are the same as federal (16" minimum length) However, what is more likely to be the problem for you is California's "Assault Weapon" laws. In our wonderful state, its also possible for any firearm you own to be an AW, so be sure to follow these 3 flowcharts for Shotguns, Handguns and Rifles.

CA has a method for allowing military members who are transferred to CA on orders to obtain a Military Assault Weapon Permit (MAWP) This process has recently been changed by our new Attorney General of CA ... Jerry Brown used to issue these without question when he was AG, but Kamela doesn't - read up about them here

If you get transferred to CA and you love the outdoors, this is a wonderful place to be (despite our byzantine gun laws)

Thank you for your service!

Last edited:

Aknazer

So I just checked over those spreadsheets. My Mossberg 500 would be illegal because it has a stock that can be folded over and fired in a "pistol grip" configuration. My AUG would be illegal because even though it's not listed on the AW sheet (Steyr AUG is listed, mine's an MSAR) and it's not less than 26" they then change the requirement to not less than 30" further down the sheet and it's at 27" with the 16" barrel. Not to mention that I don't own a single mag for my AUG or XDm-40 that is only a 10rd capacity. FML I hope I get lucky and don't get stationed in CA! And it would have been nice with family down in SD =(

And yea getting the AW permit pretty much physically can't happen until CA changes their retarded requirements. After reading the thread in order for military members to qualify you have to get a letter from your base commander stating that you use your personal weapon for military purposes. But it is directly against military rules to use any equipment that wasn't directly issued to you.

And I'm proud to serve, just looks like I don't want to do it in the state I was born in.

Last edited:

wewd

My Mossberg 500 would be illegal because it has a stock that can be folded over and fired in a "pistol grip" configuration.

Read the flowcharts more carefully. Pump action shotguns are not assault weapons no matter what you put on them, except for a revolving cylinder like a Street Sweeper. There's nothing wrong with your Mossberg 500.

And you can forget about getting a military AW permit, since the CAL DOJ has effectively gone around the law and made it impossible for anybody to get one. There will be a lawsuit on that soon but it won't likely be resolved for some time.

Aknazer

Read the flowcharts more carefully. Pump action shotguns are not assault weapons no matter what you put on them, except for a revolving cylinder like a Street Sweeper. There's nothing wrong with your Mossberg 500.

And you can forget about getting a military AW permit, since the CAL DOJ has effectively gone around the law and made it impossible for anybody to get one. There will be a lawsuit on that soon but it won't likely be resolved for some time.

But #6 on the chart asks if it either has a barrel shorter than 18" or is under 26" configuration and able to fire and states nothing about this only applying to semi-autos. Also by following the chart at #6 it looks like it breaks the CA law on what a SBS is. All because when following the chart the answer is "yes" to the question "is it under 26" in it's shortest fireable configuration?" As such I never get to question #11 which asks if it's a semi-auto.

DooFster

I'm stationed at Travis AFB (just about 2 hours from Beale, and it all depends on what their rules are. I've had my 9mm on base, but I had to get it registered... Just keep in mind that since you're military, you'll be subject to more strict rules...