• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry (at/around home) POSITIVE reactions

j4l

I carry openly @ all time in and around my home. Has never been a secret to anyone in the area,obviously,but yesterday was interesting.
Normally, I only do so inside my fenced yard,but I had stepped outside my gate to pull my empty garbage cans back into the gate,and was continuing to wear my .45 as always. (mostly pure laziness to go back inside or set the gun down somewhere,really). As I did so, one neighboring couple who I hadnt seen or spoken to in some time were passing by on a walk with their kids.
They said hello, I said hello, and there was no negative reactions or anything.In fact, quiet the opposite.The father of that family said, "hey, which kind are you carrying, a Glock?" then came over to see what I had.
We proceeded to discuss the pistol,where I got it,how much,etc. And he proceeded to tell me that he had just gotten his CCW,and had recently purchased an SR9C himself.
He jogged back down to his place to get his SR and to come show it to me,while I continued to chat with the wife-who also had no issues, and indicated an intent to get her CCW soon also.

He came back, wearing his open on his hip as well, and we proceeded to discuss various sidearms,etc. Talking shop, as it were.
Another neighbor passing on bike saw the two of us now carrying openly, and he too joined in on the conversation. He indicated that he'd made a recent sidearm purchase, then went back to his house and got his gun to come back and show us.

Now, with 3 of us openly carrying on the street, yet another neighbor from further down the block was driving by, saw all this, and he too joined the convo, and so forth.

Within about 30 minutes, we had 5 of us standing out in front of my place, all carrying openly.
Only then did it occur to anyone to inquire if we were permitted to do so. lol.

I informed them that,technically, no, we cant. But, that we can do so as much as we care to, within our own yards,etc. None of them were previously aware of that fact-assuming they had to have a CC to carry even at home.
(how did that ever slip past in the CC classes these folks took?) Anyway, we all stepped into just outside (about 2ft) of my front gate, and continued our impromptu armed gathering.

Now that they were all aware of this (and provided with the link to this forum, and to the State statutes) they all declared their intent to OC at home at all times, as I had been doing all along. :)

Most amusing of all of this, was the fact that during our gathering, the one jerkoff from the other end of the street who was the main reason ANYONE had acquired their arms to begin with, drove past, and had to stop close by to check his mail (lot of mailboxes clustered together for several different addresses). He was most clearly disturbed at the sight of almost the entire neighborhood, armed, at my place. And, he left about as quickly as he could.

Wasnt terribly surprising, the reactions, but was re-assuring to know that there were not only no objections to the concept whatsoever,but that almost everyone else on the block was now adequately armed and willing to carry.

Badger Johnson

I informed them that,technically, no, we cant. But, that we can do so as much as we care to, within our own yards,etc. None of them were previously aware of that fact-assuming they had to have a CC to carry even at home.

Wait...what? You have to have a CC permit to carry a handgun in your own home in Florida? That's bizarre. I know some states require a permit to purchase a handgun, and the CPL or CHL is separate, iirc, but I'm appalled that you Floridians have to have a permit to have your HG on your hip inside your house/yard.

Can you elaborate on that? (I'm in Virginia where it's pretty gun-friendly)

Anyway great report and very inspiring. I wish it was like that here in our gated community. I fear we'd be 'drummed out of Dodge' if we dared to OC inside the development.

j4l

No, you mis-understood me, or I wasnt clear enough on that.
They-the people to whom I was speaking-were all under the false impression that such was the case. (not sure where they heard it from, or if they just assumed this to be the case). I corrected them on that- pointing out that under our State statutes, that we can OC on our own property.
Upon learning this, they all expressed their intent to do so themselves, as I do.

Johnburns15

It's crazy that you have to have a permit ti carry in florida. I live in Kentucky. One of the states with the least amount of laws banning guns. We do not have to have any type if permit to open carry anywhere. I openly carry my sr9c anywhere and everywhere I venture.

The only laws we have here are no firearms in k-12 school. And no LOADED firearms in bars. Other then that everywhere is fair game. There are a few businesses with "no concealed deadly weapon" signs. But I've never had an issue walking into any business or just walking down the street, through the city parks, or through the downtown area.

77zach

Wait...what? You have to have a CC permit to carry a handgun in your own home in Florida? That's bizarre. I know some states require a permit to purchase a handgun, and the CPL or CHL is separate, iirc, but I'm appalled that you Floridians have to have a permit to have your HG on your hip inside your house/yard.

Can you elaborate on that? (I'm in Virginia where it's pretty gun-friendly)

Anyway great report and very inspiring. I wish it was like that here in our gated community. I fear we'd be 'drummed out of Dodge' if we dared to OC inside the development.

In Florida, if you are on your own property, you may carry concealed or openly without a permit. You may have a loaded long gun in your car or a loaded pistol in the car, not available for immediate use, without a permit. You may carry openly without a permit while doing any of the exceptional activities in 790.25.

Everything else is licensed and concealed only. From a geographic perspective, the vast majority of Fl is strongly pro gun and OC would be a non-issue.

Johnburns15

Ohh ok I misunderstood. But I do know there are alot of states you have to have a permit to open carry And here you also need a permit to concealed carry but not open carry

77zach

@ the OP,

Yes, it is infuriating that we have allowed our rights to be taken away, especially when it's only a few bed wetters that don't want OC. Most things government does is evil, but it amazes me that we have so many restrictions on the specific pieces of property that the state and federal constitutions say we have a right to own and carry. No one questions our right to other kinds of personal property-shoes, cellphones, ipods, whatever. But the property expressly protected is severely regulated; even effectively banned in some jurisdictions. This is truly a nation of sheep. The land of the coward, home of the slave.

j4l

"This is truly a nation of sheep. The land of the coward, home of the slave. "

Agreed-BUT, WE have to take at least half the blame for that. We hold the power, the funds, the resources and the superior numbers (the people @ large) to alter that. But we dont.
Instead, we wring our hands, bitch and moan (in here and elsewhere), and when give alternatives, other options, we either obstain from choosing, or choose the familiar, safe-bets (or so we delude ourselves) and the "lesser of two evil" political choices.

ADulay

Most amusing of all of this, was the fact that during our gathering, the one jerkoff from the other end of the street who was the main reason ANYONE had acquired their arms to begin with, drove past, and had to stop close by to check his mail (lot of mailboxes clustered together for several different addresses). He was most clearly disturbed at the sight of almost the entire neighborhood, armed, at my place. And, he left about as quickly as he could.

That must have been an interesting sight for sure!!!

The few times that I've been caught in the street by one of the neighbors as I'm getting back from the range or afternoon fishing, they usually act a bit surprised by the gun on the belt and ask about it and I reply "been fishing" and that generally ends the discussion.

Once again, open carry becomes a non-event in the neighborhood!

AD