• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I OC'ed in Texas today

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
You won't believe it, but I did it in a cop car too.

Our house is amidst the Bastrop fire, and today I thought they were going to open our neighborhood to residents. I pulled up near the road block and talked to a cop who walked up on the passenger side. We talked a little while and he noticed the muzzle of my AR sticking out in the passenger seat floor and said "nice rifle". I said "yeah, it's a Colt". He was going to check on my place and make sure it was secure since I told him I left a carbine behind. So I pulled my car out of the way and he drove his patrol car over. He stopped and waved me over. I was carrying my 45 and didn't even think to take it out before he told me to hop in. So I was in the front seat of a cop car OCing a 1911. I got to my house and retrieved my weapon, and took some pictures of some of the neighbors property on the way out.

This cop only did it out of compassion, and because we quickly established a kindred spirit as men who have a sense of duty. As a soldier I fight wars overseas, they fight wars at home, and their ROE is intolerable. He wouldn't have done so for many other people. He also said he likes having LAC armed. When he stops CHL holders NOT carrying he asks them "why not?". I won't even identify the agency, since I'm sure some idiot in the dept would cause trouble if this story got out, but I wanted people to know that there are cops out there who not only appreciate an armed citizenry, but they're willing to go above and beyond to help people out.

That's why I'm pretty intolerant of cop bashing, since everytime (except once) I've dealt with these men (and the one bad time was a woman detective with an agenda) they responded to my demeanor exactly how any other man would. No matter what the issue was, even when I was doing some ignorant $#!t and should have gone to jail, my respectful demeanor spared me from arrest. In this case my demeanor had me OCing in a police car, beyond the boundaries of a disaster area to retrive personal weapons. So the next time you get pulled over, be respectful. The man's doing his DUTY. Take your ticket, say thanks and shake his hand. I'll bet that if you go to court he'll "forget the details" and you'll get a parking ticket.

My deepest sympathy to those who lost a lot more than I did in this disaster, and my respect to those who are doing their duty to the best of their ability.

MR Redenck

My prayers are definitely with the folks around Bastrop. Last I heard its almost 1000 homes that have been lost.
Glad to hear you didnt catch any crap over your guns. " You do know that some places not too far from you wont accept what you did"?
I carry guns all the time. Most of the time its a 12 gauge, sometimes its a handgun. Several local lawmen are very aware of what I do but couldnt care less.
All it takes is runnig across the wrong kind of lawman to make your day turn negative. Running across the "right" guy's always makes it a pleasure.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
It's very tragic with the fires down there. My parents lost the house that we built ourselves through the years. Very sad.

Jack House

Sorry to hear about the house, Ian.

Glad to hear you're doing alright, PFW.

Posted using my HTC Evo

Posted using my HTC Evo

MR Redenck

Texas has suffered a major blow, one that is difficult to recover from.
It might be a good time for us to consider some kind of fund raiser to help those people who lost thier homes.
Fire leaves people with nothing to recover. These people need help.
What yall say?

Jack House

*shrugs* I'll probably end up helping with the clean up efforts, personally.

2011-09-14_093406.jpg

My friend's only handgun and two dogs were in there. :(

Daylen

*shrugs* I'll probably end up helping with the clean up efforts, personally.

Not sure how many disasters you've been through, but that is what yer supposed to do. The best help after storms are neighbors and the traveling church groups that show up to help. the government types I've not found very helpful.

MR Redenck

Not sure how many disasters you've been through, but that is what yer supposed to do. The best help after storms are neighbors and the traveling church groups that show up to help. the government types I've not found very helpful.

That is very true. Lets help any way we can.

Jack House

Too many to count. But this is really the only one to come up on my door step and slap me in the face. And probably the worst, not in casualties but in sheer destruction and devastation.

I know that helping the clean up efforts is a massive help. It's part of why I'm going to do. One of my best friends lost his house. So I'm close enough to know what some of the biggest needs are. Volunteers to help with clean up is one if those needs, tools are another. Fortunately we are getting him plenty of help. In fact, I'm at Fitties right now ordering breakfast tacos for the volunteers.

Posted using my HTC Evo