Thread: oc at work

oc at work

hey guys i wanted to no if any one oc at work when there off of work"off the clock". i work for a hospital so when im off of work and i need to stop at my job i tend to disarm. i have never went in to work ocing. idk i think its just one of them things im not willing to test, i mean at the end of the day they do sign my paycheck.

Banned
    You would have to take that on a case by case basis, I would feel it out carefully before doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    You would have to take that on a case by case basis, I would feel it out carefully before doing it.
    yes i just dont even take it in, like if im going to pick up my check the xdm stays in the car

Quote Originally Posted by rvd4now View Post
    hey guys i wanted to no if any one oc at work when there off of work"off the clock". i work for a hospital so when im off of work and i need to stop at my job i tend to disarm. i have never went in to work ocing. idk i think its just one of them things im not willing to test, i mean at the end of the day they do sign my paycheck.
    Do you have a CPL? If not you cannot even have your XDm in you're vehicle if you are on hospital property. OC in a hospital without a CPL is illegal unless you have permission from some type of higher up or you work security there.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 234d.
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
    Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the
    possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Do you have a CPL? If not you cannot even have your XDm in you're vehicle if you are on hospital property. OC in a hospital without a CPL is illegal unless you have permission from some type of higher up or you work security there.
    i have a cpl, and this was just a thread to see who oc at there job..

i have a cpl, and this was just a thread to see who oc at there job..
    Sorry for some reason I thought you didn't just wanted to make sure.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

If you OC in a PFZ with a CPL and get stopped by an officer. Are you required to show ID upon request to prove your compliance with the law?

Although it is lawful to oc at a hospital with cpl, your employer can and most likely does have rules that prohibit employees from the possession of firearms or other weapons. While oc ing would not be unlawful, you can still be disciplined or fired for breaking company policy.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    If you OC in a PFZ with a CPL and get stopped by an officer. Are you required to show ID upon request to prove your compliance with the law?
    Short answer is no, and yes.

You are not required to carry, much less produce id when open carrying. However, if stopped by an officer it is likely that you will need to prove that you have an exception that allows you to posess a pistol in a pfz. The choice is yours to provide the officer with your exception (cpl) or you can gonthrough the legal process and show your cpl in court after you are possibly arrested, ticketed, firearm seized, and you spent lots of money to hire a lawyer.

The other argument is that such a stop would be unlawful because you are not committing a crime. Officers cannot stop a driver just to make certain he has a valid license, therefore they should not be allowed to stop everyone who oc's in a pfz to make sure they have a cpl.

Each person gets to make a choice. In this scenario, I chose to voluntarily provide my cpl. In the past I have refused to provide I'd when stopped and not in a pfz
    Last edited by lapeer20m; 09-10-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Very well, I can take that answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    Although it is lawful to oc at a hospital with cpl, your employer can and most likely does have rules that prohibit employees from the possession of firearms or other weapons. While oc ing would not be unlawful, you can still be disciplined or fired for breaking company policy.
    Even when not currently on the clock? IMO they wouldnt be able to fire you for personal political and speech issues when not under thier time.

Even when not currently on the clock? IMO they wouldnt be able to fire you for personal political and speech issues when not under thier time.
    Correct, most employers have a policy that states bringing a firearm on to company premises under any circumstances is grounds for termination. Some states have laws that allow employees to leave a firearm in a locked vehicle, but Michigan is NOT one of them. Do NOT bring any weapon onto company premises until you know exactly what their written policies state. Some companies do not even allow pepper spray in their establishment.

I thought that we passed a law like that here... but I just looked and couldn't find it.

Have you tried sitting down with the hospital administration and showing them the law and that OC is legal there? It might go a long way in helping to make them aware of the law. Sometimes a little chat is all that's needed to make them aware of the law and to have them accept it. You should probably make an appointment instead of an impromptu meeting.

Edit: Nothing to see here, move along
    Last edited by TheQ; 09-11-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

There are retailers/big box stores who enforce No Firearms/Weapons policies regardless if the employee in on or off the clock. Wally World may be one of them and/or Meijers, I don't recall which ones right now. A persons "personal political and speech issues" are severally hampered when you place your John Hancock on the dotted line under Terms of Employment, in my opinion.