• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc at work

rvd4now

hey guys i wanted to no if any one oc at work when there off of work"off the clock". i work for a hospital so when im off of work and i need to stop at my job i tend to disarm. i have never went in to work ocing. idk i think its just one of them things im not willing to test, i mean at the end of the day they do sign my paycheck.

xmanhockey7

hey guys i wanted to no if any one oc at work when there off of work"off the clock". i work for a hospital so when im off of work and i need to stop at my job i tend to disarm. i have never went in to work ocing. idk i think its just one of them things im not willing to test, i mean at the end of the day they do sign my paycheck.

Do you have a CPL? If not you cannot even have your XDm in you're vehicle if you are on hospital property. OC in a hospital without a CPL is illegal unless you have permission from some type of higher up or you work security there.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the
possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

rvd4now

Do you have a CPL? If not you cannot even have your XDm in you're vehicle if you are on hospital property. OC in a hospital without a CPL is illegal unless you have permission from some type of higher up or you work security there.

i have a cpl, and this was just a thread to see who oc at there job..

Mitchell

If you OC in a PFZ with a CPL and get stopped by an officer. Are you required to show ID upon request to prove your compliance with the law?

lapeer20m

Although it is lawful to oc at a hospital with cpl, your employer can and most likely does have rules that prohibit employees from the possession of firearms or other weapons. While oc ing would not be unlawful, you can still be disciplined or fired for breaking company policy.

lapeer20m

If you OC in a PFZ with a CPL and get stopped by an officer. Are you required to show ID upon request to prove your compliance with the law?

Short answer is no, and yes.

You are not required to carry, much less produce id when open carrying. However, if stopped by an officer it is likely that you will need to prove that you have an exception that allows you to posess a pistol in a pfz. The choice is yours to provide the officer with your exception (cpl) or you can gonthrough the legal process and show your cpl in court after you are possibly arrested, ticketed, firearm seized, and you spent lots of money to hire a lawyer.

The other argument is that such a stop would be unlawful because you are not committing a crime. Officers cannot stop a driver just to make certain he has a valid license, therefore they should not be allowed to stop everyone who oc's in a pfz to make sure they have a cpl.

Each person gets to make a choice. In this scenario, I chose to voluntarily provide my cpl. In the past I have refused to provide I'd when stopped and not in a pfz

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Although it is lawful to oc at a hospital with cpl, your employer can and most likely does have rules that prohibit employees from the possession of firearms or other weapons. While oc ing would not be unlawful, you can still be disciplined or fired for breaking company policy.

Even when not currently on the clock? IMO they wouldnt be able to fire you for personal political and speech issues when not under thier time.

budlight

Even when not currently on the clock? IMO they wouldnt be able to fire you for personal political and speech issues when not under thier time.

Correct, most employers have a policy that states bringing a firearm on to company premises under any circumstances is grounds for termination. Some states have laws that allow employees to leave a firearm in a locked vehicle, but Michigan is NOT one of them. Do NOT bring any weapon onto company premises until you know exactly what their written policies state. Some companies do not even allow pepper spray in their establishment.

1ADAM12

Have you tried sitting down with the hospital administration and showing them the law and that OC is legal there? It might go a long way in helping to make them aware of the law. Sometimes a little chat is all that's needed to make them aware of the law and to have them accept it. You should probably make an appointment instead of an impromptu meeting.

SpringerXDacp

There are retailers/big box stores who enforce No Firearms/Weapons policies regardless if the employee in on or off the clock. Wally World may be one of them and/or Meijers, I don't recall which ones right now. A persons "personal political and speech issues" are severally hampered when you place your John Hancock on the dotted line under Terms of Employment, in my opinion.