Thread: 14,000 rounds of Ft. Bragg ammo are missing

14,000 rounds of Ft. Bragg ammo are missing

Apparently, it was taken some time Tuesday night. Article.

One hilarious comment: "Check with Homeland security and the ATF. They might have given it to Mexican drug lords."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

If its newsworthy then someone thinks that is ALOT of ammo to go missing. I find this funny; its only 10 cases of ammo.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Even the dudes at Ft Bragg are stocking up for 2012.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

it will probably be

on Craig's list in a day or two. It is not OK to contact this vendor with commercial offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    If its newsworthy then someone thinks that is ALOT of ammo to go missing. I find this funny; its only 10 cases of ammo.
    It's not a lot in regards to cases, but it's still a lot of ammo and it's still worth almost six grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    It's not a lot in regards to cases, but it's still a lot of ammo and it's still worth almost six grand.
    I'd be really surprised. At retail, 14k rounds of lake city 5.56 ammo is only about 4300.

It's really not a lot of ammo, when talking cases or rounds. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on craigslist, as 6L6GC said.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

They will probably be agents looking for it at the next Richmond gun show.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    I'd be really surprised. At retail, 14k rounds of lake city 5.56 ammo is only about 4300.

It's really not a lot of ammo, when talking cases or rounds. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on craigslist, as 6L6GC said.
    Sounds like you're getting a bulk item discount then. I used what I pay locally for a single case of 420 rounds of green tipped ammo ($175) to come up with a rough estimate for cost.

Have you fired 14,000 rounds of anything (excluding things like paintballs or airsoft)? And if so, just how long would you say it took for you to fire that many rounds? Also what would you say is the normal life of a barrel in rounds?

The point is that it is a lot of rounds for an individual. Now if it's going to supply an army, drug cartel, etc it might not be a lot, but then it's being divided up among many people. So for a single person or even 2-3 people that is still a lot of ammo.
    Last edited by Aknazer; 09-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Sounds like you're getting a bulk item discount then. I used what I pay locally for a single case of 420 rounds of green tipped ammo ($175) to come up with a rough estimate for cost.

Have you fired 14,000 rounds of anything (excluding things like paintballs or airsoft)? And if so, just how long would you say it took for you to fire that many rounds? Also what would you say is the normal life of a barrel in rounds?
    Yeah. I've shot ~10-15k rounds of 9mm, 5k+ of 5.56, 2k+ of 12ga, and a smattering of other rounds. For me to fire that many rounds takes about a year to two years (depends on what I'm doing, e.g. a four day self-defense course will use 800-1000 rounds). A group of 10-20 guys - maybe a few hours. Competitive shooters will obviously go through many more rounds than I do (e.g. I know some of the hardcore people around here drop 1k rounds/wk.

Barrels are good until they're not . Seriously, you can put anywhere from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of rounds through a barrel. It depends on the round, the purpose (e.g. are you going for precision rifle)

The point is that it is a lot of rounds for an individual. Now if it's going to supply an army, drug cartel, etc it might not be a lot, but then it's being divided up among many people. So for a single person or even 2-3 people that is still a lot of ammo.
    It's not that hard for 2 people to go through 200 rounds (4 boxes) a week, each. At 52 weeks in the year, that's 20,800 rounds a year. Go twice a month and that's still 9,600 rounds for two people.

I don't usually buy in boxes, the prices I quoted were from ammunitiontogo. Surplus arms and ammo is often cheaper, and that's, again, retail for 1k lots. I'd be very surprised if the military bought in such small quantities.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Yeah. I've shot ~10-15k rounds of 9mm, 5k+ of 5.56, 2k+ of 12ga, and a smattering of other rounds. For me to fire that many rounds takes about a year to two years (depends on what I'm doing, e.g. a four day self-defense course will use 800-1000 rounds). A group of 10-20 guys - maybe a few hours. Competitive shooters will obviously go through many more rounds than I do (e.g. I know some of the hardcore people around here drop 1k rounds/wk.

Barrels are good until they're not . Seriously, you can put anywhere from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of rounds through a barrel. It depends on the round, the purpose (e.g. are you going for precision rifle)

It's not that hard for 2 people to go through 200 rounds (4 boxes) a week, each. At 52 weeks in the year, that's 20,800 rounds a year. Go twice a month and that's still 9,600 rounds for two people.

I don't usually buy in boxes, the prices I quoted were from ammunitiontogo. Surplus arms and ammo is often cheaper, and that's, again, retail for 1k lots. I'd be very surprised if the military bought in such small quantities.
    So you're saying you shoot over $3000-4000+ in ammo a year and that isn't a lot? That's roughly 10% of my gross pay for a year (I don't even want to think what that would be in comparison to my net pay). Also I wasn't talking about if it was hard to go through that much ammo, I'm saying that that is still a lot of ammo. Feel free to say it isn't, but you're not about to change my mind that 14,000 rounds isn't a lot for one or two people.

The Army is pretty strict about ammo accountability, so 14k is a lot to them. Although I keep over 10k in my house (1/2 is .22).
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

So you're saying you shoot over $3000-4000+ in ammo a year and that isn't a lot? That's roughly 10% of my gross pay for a year (I don't even want to think what that would be in comparison to my net pay). Also I wasn't talking about if it was hard to go through that much ammo, I'm saying that that is still a lot of ammo. Feel free to say it isn't, but you're not about to change my mind that 14,000 rounds isn't a lot for one or two people.
    I know some people that shoot that much, part of the trick is reloading the cartridges.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Two years, and most of it was 9mm, which I buy in bulk and get at a great value via BVAC (1000 rounds is 150-200 depending on circumstances behind the purchase). Moreover, I split the cost with my fiance (benefit of being DINKs I guess ).

Sadly, this last year I've been to busy to do that much shooting. Maybe 1000 rounds this year of 9mm, only a few hundred of 5.56, fiftyish 38 spl, and then a few other rounds. Haven't pulled out the shotgun or big rifle recently, and my planned trip last friday was canceled because I ended up having to fly to Anaheim to set up for www.buildwindows.com

Two years, and most of it was 9mm, which I buy in bulk and get at a great value via BVAC (1000 rounds is 150-200 depending on circumstances behind the purchase). Moreover, I split the cost with my fiance (benefit of being DINKs I guess ).

Sadly, this last year I've been to busy to do that much shooting. Maybe 1000 rounds this year of 9mm, only a few hundred of 5.56, fiftyish 38 spl, and then a few other rounds. Haven't pulled out the shotgun or big rifle recently, and my planned trip last friday was canceled because I ended up having to fly to Anaheim to set up for www.buildwindows.com
    But that just goes to show (at least to me) that it is indeed a lot of shooting if it takes you two years to shoot that much. And at your costs that's still $1500-3000 in 9mm alone (over two years it's not as bad, but still a decent chunk of change). My personal view is that 1-2k rounds isn't a lot, 2-4k is a decent amount, and anything over 4k is subjectively a lot of rounds. That isn't to say you can't go through that many rounds quickly (imagine if one had a fully auto weapon how fast they could burn through 1k rounds), but that the number is still a fairly large number that a good deal of shooters simply won't go through unless they are putting in some serious range time (or have something that is full auto).

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    The Army is pretty strict about ammo accountability, so 14k is a lot to them.
    I've known some 89-Bravos who would have a hard time counting to 10 and checking the right box on the paperwork. While it's likely this was stolen, it could also be a simple paperwork error over ammo that was shot up in training.

If I had the money, I'd be spending about 10k rounds a week. But that's at a friends house, shooting various weapons with a group of people.

Man, if only I could afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    If I had the money, I'd be spending about 10k rounds a week. But that's at a friends house, shooting various weapons with a group of people.

Man, if only I could afford that.
    Amen! I definitely would be too hopefully one day I will be able too.

If you had the money _and time_. The second is a big one, for me.

One thing I haven't seen pointed out yet is that it would be HEAVY.
    Took a forklift or a group of people, or maybe 1 or 2 people moving a case at a time into a truck.
    Wonder why there aren't security cameras showing the area, inside & out?
    Or does that make too much sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    One thing I haven't seen pointed out yet is that it would be HEAVY.
    Took a forklift or a group of people, or maybe 1 or 2 people moving a case at a time into a truck.
    Wonder why there aren't security cameras showing the area, inside & out?
    Or does that make too much sense?
    It all depends on the base, but one can't really talk about things like where security cameras are located without risking getting in trouble.

100 rounds of 9mm ball ammo weighs 1,226 g. 14,000 rounds of it would weigh 171,640 g. That's just 378 lbs. A single person and two trips with a hand truck could accomplish this feat in a couple of minutes.

The "14,000" is media sensationalism at its worst, trying to cause its readers to go *GASP!!!!!* so they'll actually read a non-eventful article.

ETA: I see it was M-4 / M-16 ammo, so triple the weight. Still, 1,000 lbs can be moved by one person using a hand truck in less than 15 minutes.
    Last edited by since9; 09-16-2011 at 05:54 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.