• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

14,000 rounds of Ft. Bragg ammo are missing

Daylen

If its newsworthy then someone thinks that is ALOT of ammo to go missing. I find this funny; its only 10 cases of ammo.

Aknazer

If its newsworthy then someone thinks that is ALOT of ammo to go missing. I find this funny; its only 10 cases of ammo.

It's not a lot in regards to cases, but it's still a lot of ammo and it's still worth almost six grand.

Tawnos

It's not a lot in regards to cases, but it's still a lot of ammo and it's still worth almost six grand.

I'd be really surprised. At retail, 14k rounds of lake city 5.56 ammo is only about 4300.

It's really not a lot of ammo, when talking cases or rounds. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on craigslist, as 6L6GC said.

Aknazer

I'd be really surprised. At retail, 14k rounds of lake city 5.56 ammo is only about 4300.

It's really not a lot of ammo, when talking cases or rounds. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on craigslist, as 6L6GC said.

Sounds like you're getting a bulk item discount then. I used what I pay locally for a single case of 420 rounds of green tipped ammo ($175) to come up with a rough estimate for cost.

Have you fired 14,000 rounds of anything (excluding things like paintballs or airsoft)? And if so, just how long would you say it took for you to fire that many rounds? Also what would you say is the normal life of a barrel in rounds?

The point is that it is a lot of rounds for an individual. Now if it's going to supply an army, drug cartel, etc it might not be a lot, but then it's being divided up among many people. So for a single person or even 2-3 people that is still a lot of ammo.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Sounds like you're getting a bulk item discount then. I used what I pay locally for a single case of 420 rounds of green tipped ammo ($175) to come up with a rough estimate for cost.

Have you fired 14,000 rounds of anything (excluding things like paintballs or airsoft)? And if so, just how long would you say it took for you to fire that many rounds? Also what would you say is the normal life of a barrel in rounds?
Yeah. I've shot ~10-15k rounds of 9mm, 5k+ of 5.56, 2k+ of 12ga, and a smattering of other rounds. For me to fire that many rounds takes about a year to two years (depends on what I'm doing, e.g. a four day self-defense course will use 800-1000 rounds). A group of 10-20 guys - maybe a few hours. Competitive shooters will obviously go through many more rounds than I do (e.g. I know some of the hardcore people around here drop 1k rounds/wk.

Barrels are good until they're not ;). Seriously, you can put anywhere from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of rounds through a barrel. It depends on the round, the purpose (e.g. are you going for precision rifle)

The point is that it is a lot of rounds for an individual. Now if it's going to supply an army, drug cartel, etc it might not be a lot, but then it's being divided up among many people. So for a single person or even 2-3 people that is still a lot of ammo.
It's not that hard for 2 people to go through 200 rounds (4 boxes) a week, each. At 52 weeks in the year, that's 20,800 rounds a year. Go twice a month and that's still 9,600 rounds for two people.

I don't usually buy in boxes, the prices I quoted were from ammunitiontogo. Surplus arms and ammo is often cheaper, and that's, again, retail for 1k lots. I'd be very surprised if the military bought in such small quantities.

Aknazer

Yeah. I've shot ~10-15k rounds of 9mm, 5k+ of 5.56, 2k+ of 12ga, and a smattering of other rounds. For me to fire that many rounds takes about a year to two years (depends on what I'm doing, e.g. a four day self-defense course will use 800-1000 rounds). A group of 10-20 guys - maybe a few hours. Competitive shooters will obviously go through many more rounds than I do (e.g. I know some of the hardcore people around here drop 1k rounds/wk.

Barrels are good until they're not ;). Seriously, you can put anywhere from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of rounds through a barrel. It depends on the round, the purpose (e.g. are you going for precision rifle)

It's not that hard for 2 people to go through 200 rounds (4 boxes) a week, each. At 52 weeks in the year, that's 20,800 rounds a year. Go twice a month and that's still 9,600 rounds for two people.

I don't usually buy in boxes, the prices I quoted were from ammunitiontogo. Surplus arms and ammo is often cheaper, and that's, again, retail for 1k lots. I'd be very surprised if the military bought in such small quantities.

So you're saying you shoot over $3000-4000+ in ammo a year and that isn't a lot? That's roughly 10% of my gross pay for a year (I don't even want to think what that would be in comparison to my net pay). Also I wasn't talking about if it was hard to go through that much ammo, I'm saying that that is still a lot of ammo. Feel free to say it isn't, but you're not about to change my mind that 14,000 rounds isn't a lot for one or two people.

Daylen

So you're saying you shoot over $3000-4000+ in ammo a year and that isn't a lot? That's roughly 10% of my gross pay for a year (I don't even want to think what that would be in comparison to my net pay). Also I wasn't talking about if it was hard to go through that much ammo, I'm saying that that is still a lot of ammo. Feel free to say it isn't, but you're not about to change my mind that 14,000 rounds isn't a lot for one or two people.

I know some people that shoot that much, part of the trick is reloading the cartridges.

Tawnos

Two years, and most of it was 9mm, which I buy in bulk and get at a great value via BVAC (1000 rounds is 150-200 depending on circumstances behind the purchase). Moreover, I split the cost with my fiance (benefit of being DINKs I guess ;) ).

Sadly, this last year I've been to busy to do that much shooting. Maybe 1000 rounds this year of 9mm, only a few hundred of 5.56, fiftyish 38 spl, and then a few other rounds. Haven't pulled out the shotgun or big rifle recently, and my planned trip last friday was canceled because I ended up having to fly to Anaheim to set up for www.buildwindows.com

Aknazer

Two years, and most of it was 9mm, which I buy in bulk and get at a great value via BVAC (1000 rounds is 150-200 depending on circumstances behind the purchase). Moreover, I split the cost with my fiance (benefit of being DINKs I guess ;) ).

Sadly, this last year I've been to busy to do that much shooting. Maybe 1000 rounds this year of 9mm, only a few hundred of 5.56, fiftyish 38 spl, and then a few other rounds. Haven't pulled out the shotgun or big rifle recently, and my planned trip last friday was canceled because I ended up having to fly to Anaheim to set up for www.buildwindows.com

But that just goes to show (at least to me) that it is indeed a lot of shooting if it takes you two years to shoot that much. And at your costs that's still $1500-3000 in 9mm alone (over two years it's not as bad, but still a decent chunk of change). My personal view is that 1-2k rounds isn't a lot, 2-4k is a decent amount, and anything over 4k is subjectively a lot of rounds. That isn't to say you can't go through that many rounds quickly (imagine if one had a fully auto weapon how fast they could burn through 1k rounds), but that the number is still a fairly large number that a good deal of shooters simply won't go through unless they are putting in some serious range time (or have something that is full auto).

KBCraig

The Army is pretty strict about ammo accountability, so 14k is a lot to them.
I've known some 89-Bravos who would have a hard time counting to 10 and checking the right box on the paperwork. While it's likely this was stolen, it could also be a simple paperwork error over ammo that was shot up in training.

Jack House

If I had the money, I'd be spending about 10k rounds a week. But that's at a friends house, shooting various weapons with a group of people. :p

Man, if only I could afford that.

Sangre

If I had the money, I'd be spending about 10k rounds a week. But that's at a friends house, shooting various weapons with a group of people. :p

Man, if only I could afford that.

Amen! I definitely would be too hopefully one day I will be able too.

MKEgal

One thing I haven't seen pointed out yet is that it would be HEAVY.
Took a forklift or a group of people, or maybe 1 or 2 people moving a case at a time into a truck.
Wonder why there aren't security cameras showing the area, inside & out?
Or does that make too much sense?

Aknazer

One thing I haven't seen pointed out yet is that it would be HEAVY.
Took a forklift or a group of people, or maybe 1 or 2 people moving a case at a time into a truck.
Wonder why there aren't security cameras showing the area, inside & out?
Or does that make too much sense?

It all depends on the base, but one can't really talk about things like where security cameras are located without risking getting in trouble.