• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st time OC in Boise

Hooksc

Decided to open carry on a trip to Bosie yesterday with zero issues. Being that I'm from Mountain Home, every trip to Boise tends to be composed of several stops. We visited Home Depot, TGI Friday's, and Petsmart on Milwaukee. Cabela's on Franklin, Lowe's on Overland, and Costco on Cole Road. Happily I had no issues at any of the places, except my wife noticed a few looks at TGI Friday's.

DocWalker

Decided to open carry on a trip to Bosie yesterday with zero issues. Being that I'm from Mountain Home, every trip to Boise tends to be composed of several stops. We visited Home Depot, TGI Friday's, and Petsmart on Milwaukee. Cabela's on Franklin, Lowe's on Overland, and Costco on Cole Road. Happily I had no issues at any of the places, except my wife noticed a few looks at TGI Friday's.

Did your wife say what they were looking at? I would have needed to ask; my gun or my butt......lol

Hooksc

Next time I'll have to strike a few poses. I can hear the call now "car 54 we have a report of a man with a gun doing a Michael Jackson impersonation, be advised psych ward and straight jacket in route."

spudshooter

Sweet, I thought I had read that Home Depot had a no weapons policy but if they don't or don't really care that gives them back some respect :) In fact Lowes doesn't carry the hammer I need maybe I'll go give them a 'shot' :p

Also how does Cabela's handle open carry, I have taken guns in before but never thought to carry. I figured they would want it checked and tagged so I usually just lock it up.

ecocks

Cabella's only requires you to check in firearms which will touched inside the store (gunsmith, scope fitting, case/holster fit, checking magazines, etc.). They will have an associate check the weapon and carry it back to the gun counter where they give it to their employee. Simply OC'ing into the store has not proven to be a problem for me over the last couple of years.

In fact, one of our IDCDL organizational meetings was held at the Boise Cabella's community meeting room a couple of years ago.

DocWalker

Cabelas is good, they specificly changed the signs to allow OC/CC without problems. Like mentioned above only check weapons that are going to be handled in the store for fixing or buying stuff fitted to the weapon. I haven't come accross to many places in Boise that where not OC/CC friendly.

ecocks

Cabelas is good, they specificly changed the signs to allow OC/CC without problems. Like mentioned above only check weapons that are going to be handled in the store for fixing or buying stuff fitted to the weapon. I haven't come accross to many places in Boise that where not OC/CC friendly.

Always be aware they are out there though:

US Bank
Fuddruckers
RC Willey
Town Square Mall

All are openly anti-OC.

Last edited:

DocWalker

Always be aware they are out there though:

US Bank
Fuddruckers
RC Willey
Town Square Mall

All are openly anti-OC.

I have carried repeatedly in a couple different US Banks and Fuddruckers by the Edwards Theater without problems, looks, or people screaming while running out the door.

ecocks

In all the above-mentioned businesses there have been fully-documented incidents where management has clearly stated that corporate policy is anti-OC. In the case of Fuddruckers, this was in the Statesman/Weekly.

Continuing to patronize businesses which have refused service to OC'ing patrons reinforces their behavior. I refuse to patronize those locations which have done so.

Last edited:

DocWalker

In all the above-mentioned businesses there have been fully-documented incidents where management has clearly stated that corporate policy is anti-OC. In the case of Fuddruckers, this was in the Statesman/Weekly.

Continuing to patronize businesses which have refused service to OC'ing patrons reinforces their behavior. I refuse to patronize those locations which have done so.

Well I don't read the stateman and I haven't seen any signs at fuddruckers. They have never said anything to me or even looked concerned, I even talked to the manager once about bringing back the Huckleberry ice cream as it was one of the only places that had it. He was happy to order more......I thought it was just good service now you have me thinking it was because I had a gun.

ecocks

I left off Idaho Pizza Company as well.

For those who wish to read up on what happened at these two locations here in Idaho, you can check these two links which also have links to The Statesman and Boise Weekly where the employees of Fuddruckers (Eagle Road) and IPC (Fairview/Meridian) are quoted as to their corporate policy.

One of the biggest problems with keeping the 2A rights is the individual who continues to support businesses which actively prohibit OC and 2A rights within their stores.

Fuddruckers
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-7pm-OC-Meeting&highlight=Idaho+Pizza+Company

Idaho Pizza Company
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ry-Gun-Families&highlight=Idaho+Pizza+Company

US Bank does not have a corporate policy on this issue but the Manager of the Cherry Road branch repeatedly stated that this was their corporate policy resulting in losing a business account and multiple personal ones. The manager was allowed to keep his job despite his behavior.

silver

darn, thats too bad about Fuddruckers....they make some good burgers, all well, the bbq in my backyard has always been better anyways. and i prefer papa murphys to IPC anyway, but they take food stamps which is a strike against them in my book, but thats another issue.

@Hooksc, my GF "sees and hears" people talking/looking at me/ my gun all the time, OC makes her mildly uncomfortable, although fortunately she's getting better slowly. As for some of the other companies mentioned above, I'm in and out of home depot (in eagle) relatively frequently without any problems, i also shop at costco and petsmart and have yet to have any problems.

One more thing, ed you make some good bbq! just wish the pile of coleslaw was bigger :p But still, digging the discount!