• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry On ATVs

SlamBang

Hello, all, I'm new to the site and hoping someone can answer a few questions. I understand the Kentucky laws that pertain to open carrying inside an automobile, but I would like to OC when riding my ATV. Are there any additional laws that pertain to open carrying while riding an ATV? Can I carry in my holster on my hip or do I have to store it in an enclosure of some sort? Can I still carry the firearm loaded? What are any additional things that I might need to know? Anyone have any experience with this? Any stories or suggestions pertaining to this would be great. Thanks in advance.

Johnburns15

I oc on my atv all the time, on private property, state property and state roads. I've never had an issue with it.
And as far as I know there are no laws pertaining to oc on an atv. and seeing how there is nothing to say you can't do it then it is legally allowed.

SlamBang

KRS 527.020 references "motor vehicles". No distinction is made between cars, trucks or ATV's. I know of no other statute that does, either. They are all treated the same.

First of all, thank both of you for the replies. So, let me try to clear up my confusion. I think I've read a few posts where members say it's not a good idea to wear a gun in the holster on your hip while in an automobile because it might be hard to see and would/might be considered concealed. This would also be my thought on the matter as well, or at least, I think some LEOs might see it this way. This being the case and since there's no distinction made between cars, trucks or ATVs, would/could this same mode of carry on the hip be considered concealed while riding an ATV. I'm thinking not, since the pistol would be much more easily seen while on an ATV. It would be just as visible as if you were walking, in my opinion. Forgive my confusion, but I just don't want any surprises and I want to be absolutely sure that I'm not breaking any law. Do you guys think I'm correct in my reasoning on this? Any thoughts on this?

@GUTSHOT: I've read several of your posts and I just want to thank you for all you've done to help us keep our gun rights and for helping us get some of them back, as well. Much appreciated, you're a true patriot. Also, thanks to others that have and are doing the same.

Johnburns15

Well an easier way to get around that would be to go get your ccw. Yes it is a little pricy and a little tine consuming. But it makes situations like this easier. Because then even if a Leo thinks its considered concealed, you can hand him your ccw and you would be on your way.

SlamBang

No, I don't have a CCDW at this time, but I plan on getting it in the future. Until I do, I plan to OC. Hopefully, I won't have any problems OCing on the ATV. I just wanted to run the idea by more knowledgeable guys on this forum to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. I just wanted to be more confident that I wouldn't be breaking any laws that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.