• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

off-limits places

hammer6

i have a question-
i understand that per the state constitution, they can tell us we can't open carry, since they (SORT OF) allow concealed carry. BUT- i don't see how they are allowed to PROHIBIT us from carrying in certain places? it only says:

"SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.—
(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law."

it doesn't say that they can also list places we aren't allowed to carry. it simply says manner of BEARING arms. seems like we've got a pretty good case...no?

i mean, just last night, 24 people got shot at a local club where i live. 2 dead. so i have to choose to either not go out, or risk going out without having any protection?

j4l

Or, you could simply make an end-run around. that, by just avoiding places of the sort where 24 people have a higher than average likelihood of being shot at..
Granted, you cant anticipate every situation,location, etc. BUT- common-sense, and street-sense equips even the most dim amongst us with the basic idea that some places are potentially hostile and dangerous.
Ya, sure most of the "hip" or trendy folks of the locale may find it fun to frequent the place, but if it draws the sort of elements that are going to end up shooting at each other...what's worth more- the potential fun of a few minutes getting a buzz in a place playing crappy music, or you going home at the end of the night?

If you want to carry a firearm for the objective of going well-equipped into hostile environs intentionally, join the Army.They've no shortage of need for Infantry in a few places around the world.

Last edited:

77zach

Absolutely, hammer. See my signature. I don't see how the state can get away with any prohibited place if they don't make a serious effort to create a true gun free zone AND have armed security in case someone does smuggle a weapon into their government buildings. Otherwise, the whole concept of a "gun free zone" is completely insane. Therefore, all prohibited places in Fl are unconstitutional/immoral except jails and meetings of the legislature and courtrooms, although I still don't think capitol should ban guns since this is simply where OUR SERVANTS meet.

hammer6

Or, you could simply make an end-run around. that, by just avoiding places of the sort where 24 people have a higher than average likelihood of being shot at..
Granted, you cant anticipate every situation,location, etc. BUT- common-sense, and street-sense equips even the most dim amongst us with the basic idea that some places are potentially hostile and dangerous.
Ya, sure most of the "hip" or trendy folks of the locale may find it fun to frequent the place, but if it draws the sort of elements that are going to end up shooting at each other...what's worth more- the potential fun of a few minutes getting a buzz in a place playing crappy music, or you going home at the end of the night?

If you want to carry a firearm for the objective of going well-equipped into hostile environs intentionally, join the Army.They've no shortage of need for Infantry in a few places around the world.

ummm- you have completely made my point FOR me.

so, should i not go to a bank because it might get robbed? should i not walk down the street at night because i might get mugged?

OR

should i do whatever the hell i want because this is America, and i'm free to make my own choices? what if i like going to a club and hanging out with my friends? who said i get buzzed or drunk? that's like the signs in Arizona telling AMERICAN citizens not to go to within 80 miles of the border because it's too dangerous? http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/16/closes-park-land-mexico-border-americans/ we LET government restrict our rights in the name of temporary safety. that's where we began to lose them.......

WHY should i be afraid of and cut down on my liberties because of bad guys? why should i be afraid to do ANYTHING just because of the threat of harm? that's the whole PURPOSE of the second amendment. if some a$$hole wants to show up at that club and open fire, you better frickin believe it- #1, i'm gonna try and get away. but #2- if i can't, i'm gonna shoot him in the head and save my life, as well as those around me. because WE weren't doing anything wrong. you may not agree with going to a club, but that has nothing to do with keeping and bearing arms.

and on another note- for you to suggest quote- "If you want to carry a firearm for the objective of going well-equipped into hostile environs intentionally, join the Army." makes no sense. 99.9% of the men and women in the army don't do it for that reason. they do it because they love their country, and they want to destroy the forces that want us to be afraid to walk outside alone. to go to a club and have fun.

i didn't join the army, because, i had a kid when i was 17, and i felt it was best for me to be a father to him. i'll fight my war from home. i'll protect my family from home.

a club is not "hostile" territory. it's something that a FREE person can partake in. something very LEGAL and something a person chooses to do.

Rich7553

i have a question-
i understand that per the state constitution, they can tell us we can't open carry, since they (SORT OF) allow concealed carry. BUT- i don't see how they are allowed to PROHIBIT us from carrying in certain places? it only says:

"SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.—
(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law."

it doesn't say that they can also list places we aren't allowed to carry. it simply says manner of BEARING arms. seems like we've got a pretty good case...no?

i mean, just last night, 24 people got shot at a local club where i live. 2 dead. so i have to choose to either not go out, or risk going out without having any protection?

They can do it because they are regulating the manner. At a prohibited place, they are saying there is no lawful manner in which to carry. You may not agree, but your argument won't hold up in court.

hammer6

They can do it because they are regulating the manner. At a prohibited place, they are saying there is no lawful manner in which to carry. You may not agree, but your argument won't hold up in court.

how? why?

where does it say that at a non-prohibited place, there IS a lawful manner in which i can carry???? haven't seen that one.....

Last edited:

j4l

ummm- you have completely made my point FOR me.

so, should i not go to a bank because it might get robbed? should i not walk down the street at night because i might get mugged?

OR

should i do whatever the hell i want because this is America, and i'm free to make my own choices? what if i like going to a club and hanging out with my friends? who said i get buzzed or drunk? that's like the signs in Arizona telling AMERICAN citizens not to go to within 80 miles of the border because it's too dangerous? http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/16/closes-park-land-mexico-border-americans/ we LET government restrict our rights in the name of temporary safety. that's where we began to lose them.......

WHY should i be afraid of and cut down on my liberties because of bad guys? why should i be afraid to do ANYTHING just because of the threat of harm? that's the whole PURPOSE of the second amendment. if some a$$hole wants to show up at that club and open fire, you better frickin believe it- #1, i'm gonna try and get away. but #2- if i can't, i'm gonna shoot him in the head and save my life, as well as those around me. because WE weren't doing anything wrong. you may not agree with going to a club, but that has nothing to do with keeping and bearing arms.

and on another note- for you to suggest quote- "If you want to carry a firearm for the objective of going well-equipped into hostile environs intentionally, join the Army." makes no sense. 99.9% of the men and women in the army don't do it for that reason. they do it because they love their country, and they want to destroy the forces that want us to be afraid to walk outside alone. to go to a club and have fun.

i didn't join the army, because, i had a kid when i was 17, and i felt it was best for me to be a father to him. i'll fight my war from home. i'll protect my family from home.

a club is not "hostile" territory. it's something that a FREE person can partake in. something very LEGAL and something a person chooses to do.

Try not to read anything more into what I said, than exactly what I said. There are some places/situations whatever, that common-sense should suggest one avoids- armed or otherwise,if no other reason than....well, common-sense.
Really simplified example: Someplace you want to be is on the other side of an electrified fence.
Said fence is clearly marked as such, and just as an added warning, the remains of animals,birds and previous Darwin Awardees litter the area. There's no gates or ways around our hypothetical fence.
Do you try to climb over it anyway,knowing ahead of time, that doing so will likely end your life? Or do you instinctively decide there are other, more suitable places to go instead?

hammer6

Try not to read anything more into what I said, than exactly what I said. There are some places/situations whatever, that common-sense should suggest one avoids- armed or otherwise,if no other reason than....well, common-sense.
Really simplified example: Someplace you want to be is on the other side of an electrified fence.
Said fence is clearly marked as such, and just as an added warning, the remains of animals,birds and previous Darwin Awardees litter the area. There's no gates or ways around our hypothetical fence.
Do you try to climb over it anyway,knowing ahead of time, that doing so will likely end your life? Or do you instinctively decide there are other, more suitable places to go instead?

okay- my bad. my response was a little over the top. i get your point.

but i hope you get mine- if i wanna go to a club, i should be allowed to go there AND carry. because i'm a law abiding citizen. apparently, our laws in florida did nothing to stop this crime from happening, so why should i not be allowed to be prepared to defend myself?

77zach

Are rifles and shotduns restricted in the Florida law books?
They aint in Texas other than inside school building and courts.
Hint, hint....

Not in vehicles, but on foot yes. 790.53, which bans open carry, uses the term firearm, not just handgun. Besides, it wouldn't help us any. It would be wildly unpopular with lawmakers. If people brought back gun racks in trucks it might help though.

hammer6

Not in vehicles, but on foot yes. 790.53, which bans open carry, uses the term firearm, not just handgun. Besides, it wouldn't help us any. It would be wildly unpopular with lawmakers. If people brought back gun racks in trucks it might help though.

we're allowed to have gun racks on the windows of our trucks????????

Rich7553

we're allowed to have gun racks on the windows of our trucks????????

790.25(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Last edited:

hammer6

790.25(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

sorry- i meant OPENLY carry rifles in our trucks.

Rich7553

sorry- i meant OPENLY carry rifles in our trucks.

Legal. Folks up in rural areas, especially near the Georgia border, do it all the time. There is no provision for locking or concealing a long gun.