• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Mayor's Spirit of the Springs

since9

Campaign Veteran
This looks like a good time! From the website:

Get ready for a fun community pep rally as Mayor Steve Bach officially launches the Mayor's Spirit of the Springs initiative on Friday, September 16, from 4-6:30 p.m. on the south lawn of the Pioneers Museum.

Bring a picnic or purchase refreshments on site (featuring Mollica's, Colorado Smokehouse, Colorado City Creamery, and Nourish Organic Juice and Smoothies) or at nearby restaurants while you enjoy a variety of family-friendly entertainment. Performances from the Air Academy Marching Band and District 11 Cheerleading squads are not to be missed!

Free street parking is available on Vermijo and other streets east of Nevada near the museum. Park for $1 in the City garage at Colorado and Nevada starting at 4 p.m. or in the Kiowa/Nevada garage starting at 2 p.m. Bike racks are available for bike parking (bring a lock).

About The Mayor's Spirit of the Springs Initiative

The Mayor's Spirit of the Springs initiative encourages citizens to celebrate, connect and become involved in Colorado Springs, through arts and culture, fitness, activities, and local traditions. The program is a call to action for all ages to get involved, meet others in our city and see how all of us will contribute to our community in some personal way.

Highlights of the September 16 Celebration

Air Force Academy cheerleaders and mascot (The Bird)
District 11 cheerleading squads
Air Academy Marching Band
Tunes to dance to by Celebration Station DJ Company
Pictures and Photos with local athletes in training for the Olympics
Interactive activities for kids by City Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services and the Chamber's Rising Professionals, including hole-in-one golf and basketball shooting
Try out some of the coolest bikes around from Angletech
Bounce house ($5 - all you can bounce!)
The amazing one-and-only Benji will wow you
Touch-a-Truck with snow plow, fire truck, dump truck and more
Face painting
Visit the latest exhibits at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, which will remain open late (6:30 p.m.) for this special event:
Behind the Lens: Photography in the Pikes Peak Region, which highlights five photographers who capture the spirit and beauty of our local area.
Framing Community: Exposing Identity, which examines the meaning of community while inviting visitors to ponder: "What is uniquely Colorado Springs?" and
Pedal Power: Bicycling in Colorado Springs, which features the first bicycle ever owned by a resident of Colorado Springs.
And a few surprises!

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
OC meet?

Is anyone else here going? We could make it a mini-OC Meet.

I'm deciding on whether or not to carry a sack lunch/dinner in my hydration bag or if I should skip my bag and carry a water bottle and a portable chair or stool and stand in line at the concessions.

The weather's looking up! "Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Slight chance of thunderstorms late in the morning. Chance of rain showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs 69 to 77. Light winds becoming south 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 30 percent."

I should probably bring a poncho, just in case.

since9

Campaign Veteran
SpiritoftheSprings.jpg

Naturally, a video would be appropriate!

^^^ Click to see the video of everyone running in sheer terror at the sight of a lawfully-armed citizen...

Me and The Bird:

MyselfandTheBird.jpg

Last edited:

Polynikes

I would've loved to have been there, but I'm in the process of renovating a condo the wife and I found at a good price. It's occupying pretty much every hour I have outside of work and sleep.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Great Event!

I arrived on scene and headed to the nearest table, which was that of C.A.P.S. (community advancing public safety). I wasn't aware they'd been there, but I'd spoken with them a couple of times and and wanted to meet the coordinators in person. They were wonderful!

After about 20 minutes, I moved on in search of food, but the Air Academy Band marched on the scene and played a couple of numbers. Mayor Bach was busy with a couple of televised interviews, and I did find a barbeque stand, so I grabbed a sandwich and was invited to sit next to a couple who'd retired from the Air Force back in the mid-70s. It was interesting catching up with them! Turns out they'd moved to within 2 miles of where I used to live back in the '70s -- we actually knew some of the same people in the town!

They were finished, but were soon replaced by a fellow percussionist who'd been in the Air Force Band a couple of decades ago. He mainly teaches percussion these days and plays in various bands and symphonies.

I finished my own meal, found an ice cream stand and had some black walnut ice cream for the first time in my life before getting my picture taken with The Bird.

Following that, I wandered around for a while, shook hands with Mayor Bach (I'd met him before), and we exchanged pleasantries before I stumbled across a display from the University of Colorado where they teach grade schoolers in a unique manner about match and science. I spent about 20 minutes discussing some of their approaches with the good Dr. who was manning the display. Towards the end she invited me to volunteer with them, as they're in need of volunteers, and my background is well suited to the task.

The event began shutting down, but before leaving I stopped by the C.A.P.S. table for a few minutes to speak with the CSPD Officer in Charge of the Citizens Academy program.

M-Taliesin, I have you to thank for that! I'd applied last year but couldn't attend due to conflicts with work contracts. The Officer and I spoke at length about the program. He remembered my name from last year, and towards the end of our conversation, he encouraged me to apply again, which I did shortly after I arrived home.

All in all, this was a small, but fun event! I hope to see more like this in the future.