• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An amazing sight on US 10 between Fremont and Stevens Point

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I travel for work, and the family has a cottage up in Tomahawk, WI. Was heading up to the cottage a few weeks ago, and saw a large shape in the road. I moved over to the left lane, thinking it was debris. As I got closer (about 75 to 100 yards away), the shape grew several times larger in size very rapidly. I slowed down even more, down to around 30 mph or so. Suddenly, the shape lifted off of the ground and started to turn.

No more than 40 feet in front of my truck was a bald eagle, banking to the left and starting to circle around towards the median. I had seen these beautiful birds in zoos, and videos of them in flight, but this was the first time I'd ever seen one in flight. I quickly pulled over to the side of the road, but by the time I got out my camera the bird was gone.

I've had the pleasure of seeing this bird two more times since then. It's never in the same place twice, but always along US 10. I usually see it after I've given up and put my camera away.

If you're driving through here, keep an eye out. You just might get a chance to see a truly majestic creature

Firearms Iinstuctor

A lot of eagles meet their end by getting hit along the highway. They are slow in getting off and get struck. Dead deer and other road kill bring them to sit along the road ways.

I see dozens of them on car kills a year. and had to brake hard several times to miss them.

ayce2

Eagles

I agree... especially close up they are magnifiant. Last year I was privileged to see a pair do their mating fall. What a way to do it:p

safcrkr

They are magnificent birds.... but I no longer pay attention to the sight of them, because I see them so often, they've become just another part of the landscape. In fact, there's a nest belonging to a pair just a few hundred feet from where I'm now sitting typing this. It's at the top of a big white pine tree on my neighbor's property. There's also a nest about 1,500' from my duck blind. That bird averages 2 "stolen" ducks per season, but I really don't mind.... it's her territory, and I consider shooting a duck or two for her to feast on to be my "rent".

Last edited:

oliverclotheshoff

3 years ago i got a pic of a bald eagle along side the road munching on a dead deer in the middle of the winter and this year in june i saw the same thing outside of new lisbon on co raod m

Captain Nemo

On this day of rememberance. Sights of the majestic symbol of our country is just a reminder that, in spite of petty differences and political rangling, this is still the greatest country in the world. As we gather for dinner this evening let us remember those that perished on Sept. 11, 2001.

Cobbersmom

I get to see them every day but never get tired of it. In addition to hunting and dropping the carcass down at the lake, I also pick up road kill (fresh, usually cop dispatched) and leave out what I don't keep.
This past March 24, I had 8 eagles munching on the deer!
Out where I work, I think certain folks have dumped speared fish because for a couple weeks, there were over a hundred eagles hanging in a certain spot.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I get to see them every day but never get tired of it. In addition to hunting and dropping the carcass down at the lake, I also pick up road kill (fresh, usually cop dispatched) and leave out what I don't keep.
This past March 24, I had 8 eagles munching on the deer!
Out where I work, I think certain folks have dumped speared fish because for a couple weeks, there were over a hundred eagles hanging in a certain spot.

Wow! Next time I'm in Tomahawk, I'm popping up there to check that out! Didn't realize that they were so prominent in WI. I see tons of hawks, but not that many eagles

oliverclotheshoff

i see them often necedah wildlife rufuge, wi river not to far (within 5 miles) i also never get tired of seeing them such a awsome looking bird

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Usually near water.....

I have a stream going through my property and see them from time to time. I also see a lot near the Wisconsin river in sauk/prairie. They actually have eagle watching days there in the winter as they all flock to the open water.

The other day I was driving about 3 miles from my house and passed one looking at me from a tree about 30 ft. off the road; that one was a big sucker!

TyGuy

There is a state park near where I work that has a bald eagle nest. You often find cars parked on the side of the road watching them soar.

That reminds me, a few years ago, when I was still in the Air Force, I did a TDY up to Elmendorf AFB in Alaska. One afternoon we went to one of the many many many nature walk areas up there. As we're walking I notice a hawk circling high above. When I grab my binoculars I realize that it is a bald eagle. Strangely it was circling over where the parking lot was (we were about a mile away at that point). Then I remembered seeing a couple get out of their car to go walking and tying up their little yorkie to a post to wait for them. I never found out, but I am guessing that that eagle had a nice canine dinner that night. <-- True story! (sorry, no pics though)

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Two years ago up at the Star Lake campground in Vilas County, we saw an eagle swoop down to the water to hit a fish. The fish turned out to be too heavy to fly with, so the eagle used its wings like paddles and swam back to shore, halfway across the little bay by the boat landing and walk-in campsites, still holding the fish (looked like a big, fat walleye) in its talons.... I stood there with my jaw on the ground and forgot to snap a picture! :shocker:

oliverclotheshoff

i watched 2 eagles fighting over a catch at necedah wildlife refuge last summer
i also used to fish a lake called eagles nest in juneau county when i was a kid and used to watch them come and go whie we were out in the boat fishing they had a telephone pole in the middle of the lake with a platform big enough for them to nest on

xd shooter

That bird averages 2 "stolen" ducks per season, but I really don't mind.... it's her territory, and I consider shooting a duck or two for her to feast on to be my "rent".

You Sir, are my Hero. :)

Fantastic attitude.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Sometimes the eagles around here can be so obnoxious around here that they are pests, Imagine standing out on a frozen lake, watching your tip-ups and having 5-7 eagles standing 10 feet away from you looking like a flock of turkeys! They'll stand there squawking at you because they want your fish. You turn your back for a second and any fish that you have on the ice is now sitting in the top of a tree. Been there, done that on too many occasions to remember.
I am having ptroblems uploading pictures right now, but I would like to share a picture of a pair of eagles next to each other on a tree branch. They were up there screeching at my pooches when I snapped the picture.

Cory

There are a lot of Bald Eagles up in the Steven's Point/Mosinee area. My wife's family owns a cabin on the Eau Pleine Flowage and we see them every time we're up there. Seems like during early spring you see the most. They gather on the large ice chunks when the flowage starts melting off. We've seen as many as 5 or 6 eagles all together on the same piece of ice. Pretty awesome sight! On the South end of the Eau Pleine Flowage, there is a long levee which leads to the dam in between the Eau Pleine Flowage and Lake Dubay... That would be a great spot to go if you want to see some eagles.