• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Handgun Restriction by the DNR while gun / deer hunting

LOERetired

I found this at the below link, and wonder if the concealed handgun restriction will be changed.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/regs/deer.pdf

Handguns

1. To be legal for deer hunting, handguns must use center-fire cartridges of .22 caliber or larger and have a 5½" minimum barrel length measured from the firing pin to the muzzle with the action closed.

2. You may not possess a concealed handgun.

3. It is illegal to hunt with a handgun if under age 18.

Don

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Thanks For The Link Sheller. That Is Good NEWS!

Thanks for starting this thread Don. Myself, McX and Springfield 1911 are planning to do some hunting soon and this very topic came up.

phred

I thought I saw this someplace before
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93617-Newest-from-the-DNR-Aug.-4-2011

Quote from post 08-04-2011 02:37 PM

6. Carrying a Concealed Firearm while Hunting
If I am at least 18 years old and can legally hunt with a handgun, can I also carry that handgun concealed under my jacket or in a backpack while I am hunting?

Generally speaking, the answer is no. A person must be at least age 21 to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon. However, beginning on Nov. 1, 2011, a person who owns, leases, or is the legal occupant of land and who is age 18 or older, can possess a concealed handgun on that land without the need for a concealed carry license. This would mean a person meeting these conditions who is age 18 or older, even without a concealed carry license could possess a concealed handgun, and hunt using a concealed handgun which is a legal size and caliber for the species being hunted. But only on their land, and only with a handgun. It continues to be illegal to possess concealed long guns.

I guess I am not the only one that has "senior moments".

This quote from their "newer" FAQ.

6. Carrying a Concealed Firearm while Hunting

If I am at least 18 years old and can legally hunt with a handgun, can I also carry that handgun concealed under my jacket or in a backpack while I am hunting?

Beginning on Nov. 1, 2011, a person who is at least age 21 and who authorized to carry a concealed handgun, such as a person who holds a license authorizing them to carry a concealed weapon, will also be able to possess a concealed handgun while hunting. In addition, a person who owns, leases, or is the legal occupant of land and who is at least age18, will be allowed possess a concealed handgun while hunting on those lands without the need for a license to carry a concealed weapon. To use the concealed handgun for hunting purposes, the handgun must be a legal size and caliber for the species being hunted. It continues to be illegal to possess concealed long guns.

Even the DNR has their "senior moments". Maybe they got some static from their first FAQ

oak1971

Nice to hear they pulled their head out of their behinds. Regardless, I will continue to do as I please on our hunting property.