• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Updated Friend or Foe site coming soon

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Well...the nice thing about personal projects is that slipped deadlines don't threaten your livelihood. :) That week turned into about 2 months. Between work, family, holidays and changing direction on a large portion of the new site it took a bit longer than expected.

The good news is that after a bit of final testing I'll be ready for some beta testers this weekend. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, and I'll forward the first few responders a temporary link so you can play with the new version.

I need to convert the existing data over and once that's done and the testing is finished, it will be pushed out on the live site. This also means that during the data conversion process, the current site will be offline for a day or so to make sure no new data is added during the process. When that time comes, I'll put a message up on the existing site so those using it that don't see this will know what's going on.

The new version is not far away...here's an updated screenshot in the meantime. Feedback on the new marker system is appreciated.
i-KXCvh3R-L.jpg

Is there a way to delete an entry?

I posted an entry a couple of years ago. Since then, the business has changed hands, and I don't know the current owners' viewpoint. I hate to leave it as a positive, and since the new owners kept the business name, there's no way for someone to tell from the site.

09jisaac

Is there a way to delete an entry?

I posted an entry a couple of years ago. Since then, the business has changed hands, and I don't know the current owners' viewpoint. I hate to leave it as a positive, and since the new owners kept the business name, there's no way for someone to tell from the site.

I personally would like a delete entry too.

I would also like a way to flag something so that it could be looked into. I think it was the louisa, ky walmart that had two different locations and different reviews. But they had the same address. I am not sure if it was the walmart, though. I would like to be able to flag that with a comment box so this could be fixed.

Also, I wouldn't mind helping with testing and such.

Edit: Also, I forgot to thank you for what you're doing for the gun community. It would be nice to throw our wallets behind our rights. But since I can't afford to be a member of the NRA I can at least afford to stop doing business with those that don't support us.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Thanks for sharing with us about your site.

I'm sure you've spent many hours of hard work getting it up and running.

09jisaac

The website would be a whole lot better for me if google maps was. I played around with it for a little bit and I couldn't find anything at all, then I figured out that google maps has everything in the wrong place.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, sometimes the google map data isn't accurate. Unfortunately, they still have the best and most comprehensive list of businesses, which is why I'm using them.

I am planning on adding a way to manually add a business, but the better solution is to update the google places listing so it shows in the correct location. If there are a ton of places...out of place...then I can see that would make the map unusable. I'll see how hard it is to tap into the places API for making updates to the google database...I'm pretty sure it's doable.

Thanks for the feedback!

gunns

I cant wait for your site to be made public. You do know however it will be noticed by those that would try to corrupt it? Allot of bloggers out there that hate our 2nd Amendment rights and would enjoy submitting bogus information.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
We've had a bit of trouble with that in the current version, but not too much. The first version was really a quick test to see if it would be used...and since it has been, I've spent a lot of time redesigning and updating the site to make it easier to use...which is a double edged sword.

This newer version does have a bunch of extras built in that will discourage tampering...and if tampering happens, it will be easy to track and remove. There's also a reporting system to flag locations for review, etc. And, I already have a growing list of features for version 3... :)

SovereignAxe

If you guys see something wrong with google maps you can report it and they seem to be pretty good about getting it correct.

We had a hospital in my area close down about a year ago. After a few months I noticed it was still listed and I sent them a notice about it. I got an email a few days later saying I was right and thanking me. The listing now says that "this place is permanently closed."

since9

Campaign Veteran
As a systems analyst (database designer/developer) from long ago, I have some recommendations, along with some questions.

1. Which field is your unique identifier for each business/location? Might I suggest using the US Postal Service-standardized address database? Conflicts would not be up to the submitter to resolve, but would instead be submitted for moderator review.

2. Will you employ a username/login tied to a user's e-mail address so that a previously negative (or positive) rating can be changed by the same individual who posted it? I've encountered two business who at first seemed opposed, but after a couple of conversations with the owner, they came about 180 degrees. Since the earlier rating's -3 rating takes a couple of positive ratings just to render a neutral rating, I'd like to see a way for an individual to change their previous rating.

I'd like to see people be able to rate a business as follows:

a. Very favorable: +2
b. Favorable: +1
c. Neutral: 0
d. Unfavorable: -1
e. Very unfavorable: -2

The five-tiered response is a tried and true template in the world of statistics, for many very good reasons.

3. I'd like to see a circle, square, or four-bar rectangle depicting in four colors the following attributes:

a. Mean score. Color would range from deep red (the most negative scores) to deep blue (the one with the most positive scores), with colors taken as a percentage of all scores. Calculated on a percentile basis. Ten colors ranging from deep red to deep blue would suffice.
b. Number of positive scores (same schema)
c. Number of negative scores (same schema).
d. Range of scores (variation represented as a sigma, same schema).

4. Refined, I'd like to see a single circle indicating the mean score, and a hover-over pop-out with the name and address of the business, along with the four-color scheme in a four-vertical-bar format grouped into a horizontal rectangle, along with a button for adding/refining one's individual grade. If one isn't logged in, the button would not be present.

5. I have many more questions, but won't know what to ask until I see a data diagram. Can you provide one? If so, PM me.

Glad to see you're taking the time to upgrade it!

Last edited:

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Answered inline below.

As a systems analyst (database designer/developer) from long ago, I have some recommendations, along with some questions.

1. Which field is your unique identifier for each business/location? Might I suggest using the US Postal Service-standardized address database? Conflicts would not be up to the submitter to resolve, but would instead be submitted for moderator review.

I'm using google places, and they have IDs for each location. I'm still looking into how to track manual additions (add to google places or maintain a separate list). I'm leaning toward google places for all the info right now.

2. Will you employ a username/login tied to a user's e-mail address so that a previously negative (or positive) rating can be changed by the same individual who posted it? I've encountered two business who at first seemed opposed, but after a couple of conversations with the owner, they came about 180 degrees. Since the earlier rating's -3 rating takes a couple of positive ratings just to render a neutral rating, I'd like to see a way for an individual to change their previous rating.

Yes, there will be a way for folks to manage listings even if they do not create accounts. It will be available shortly after the new version is online.

I'd like to see people be able to rate a business as follows:

a. Very favorable: +2
b. Favorable: +1
c. Neutral: 0
d. Unfavorable: -1
e. Very unfavorable: -2

The five-tiered response is a tried and true template in the world of statistics, for many very good reasons.

I'm currently using a three-tier rating system and I'm not sure expanding to five tiers would be any more descriptive. Can you give me a use-case where it would be beneficial?

Here's my rationale for three-tiers: 1) You enter a business and they comment on your firearm, thank you for carrying and invite you back. That's a Very favorable rating in the five-tier system. 2) You enter, get your business done and no one says anything or mentions your firearm. They don't bring any attention to it and they don't give you any sideways glances. That would be a Neutral rating. 3) You enter the business and they ask you to leave or expressly kick you out. That's a Very unfavorable response.

Where would the favorable and unfavorable fall in? I think having five tiers would rely more on a feeling and impression than what actions were actually taken by the business. I chose three-tiers because I'd rather know by the rating whether others were kicked out, left alone or commended and invited back, not have to guess what actually happened when they marked it as favorable or unfavorable. And, this is why there's a place for comments, which are now required.

3. I'd like to see a circle, square, or four-bar rectangle depicting in four colors the following attributes:

a. Mean score. Color would range from deep red (the most negative scores) to deep blue (the one with the most positive scores), with colors taken as a percentage of all scores. Calculated on a percentile basis. Ten colors ranging from deep red to deep blue would suffice.
b. Number of positive scores (same schema)
c. Number of negative scores (same schema).
d. Range of scores (variation represented as a sigma, same schema).

I like the idea, and the site is designed to support that sort of insight, but the reality is 90% of the places are reviewed only once. This is possibly due to the current design...it is not easy to rate an existing place. You must search, etc. It's a hassle. The new version, you click on an existing place and type in a new rating to add. A couple clicks and you're done. If this new method encourages more repeat ratings, then it will be worth implementing.

4. Refined, I'd like to see a single circle indicating the mean score, and a hover-over pop-out with the name and address of the business, along with the four-color scheme in a four-vertical-bar format grouped into a horizontal rectangle, along with a button for adding/refining one's individual grade. If one isn't logged in, the button would not be present.

Same as above, but the business details and rating info will be shown in a popup, and plans to allow anonymous visitors to edit ratings are coming soon after the new version is released.

5. I have many more questions, but won't know what to ask until I see a data diagram. Can you provide one? If so, PM me.

It is very simple. You can probably guess it just from the way the site works, but I'll be glad to have another set of eyes take a peek and offer any suggestions that come to mind. Thanks!

Glad to see you're taking the time to upgrade it!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Looks great. I look forward to using it!

The majority of my web browsing these days is on my Samsung Tablet w/Android OS so I may have feedback from that perspective. Already ran into a Wordpress problem of not being able to log in - log in page just does nothing once I enter ID/PW but I regularly use a few other sites that go through Wordpress and haven't had a problem. So, as there are several variables on my end, I'm going to figuure out that issue.

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the info. The "member" extras are coming a bit later, but it should let you log in and then redirect you to the main page. You can tell if you're logged in by looking at the notices or contact page, on the right side.

If it's not letting you log in at all, I'll have to look at that and see why. I have an android phone, and it seems to work fine (as designed anyway) for me.

Looks great. I look forward to using it!

The majority of my web browsing these days is on my Samsung Tablet w/Android OS so I may have feedback from that perspective. Already ran into a Wordpress problem of not being able to log in - log in page just does nothing once I enter ID/PW but I regularly use a few other sites that go through Wordpress and haven't had a problem. So, as there are several variables on my end, I'm going to figuure out that issue.

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
So far today we have 20 new places added and 35 or so new reviews. This leads me to believe the new functionality is much more likely to promote repeat ratings than the old "search every time" method.

If you have any feedback on the site continue to post it here.

Those that have signed up, you'll notice there's not much of a member area yet...it's coming.

Thanks!