• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Age To Possess A Firearm

kd6sxa

My daughter is getting ready to move out into her own apartment and needs a self defense weapon. She and I took hunters safety when she was 12 and I bought her a .22 rifle at the time. When she turned 18 and moved out the first time I gave it to her. Now she is moving out for the second time and although the rifle will be better than nothing for protection, I want her to get something else. So, how old do you have to be to own or possess a firearm in Wisconsin?

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I believe the age is 18. You must be 21 or older to purchase a firearm, however a firearm may be given as a gift to family.

Can anyone else way in? I'm on my phone with Tapatalk, so I can't look up statutes at the moment

Interceptor_Knight

18 for a handgun. A 17 year old and younger may not hunt with a handgun even with a parent. the only time someone under the age of 18 may possess a handgun is at a target range with a parent or an adult designated by their parent.
Under State Statutes, a 16 year old can buy, possess/carry and use a long gun which is not a SBR or SBS... Long guns are exempted from 948.60.
14 and 15 year olds must have a hunters' safety permit to possess a long gun. A 14-15 year old can buy, possess/carry and use a long gun which is not a SBR or SBS so long as they posses a hunters' safety permit .

Interceptor_Knight

I believe the age is 18. You must be 21 or older to purchase a firearm, however a firearm may be given as a gift to family.

21 is the minimum age to purchase a handgun from a FFL. Minimum age for a long gun is 18 from a FFL. Like I mentioned above, a 14 year old may purchase a long gun from a private party in WI so long as they possess a hunters' safety permit.

Last edited:

civilwarguy

Simple answer buy her the gun you want her to have as a going away present or house warming gift as long as she is 18 and your all ok (assuming she isnt a felon and so on). I hope that helps.