• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at the Fair

country.hacker

Hey guys,

Searched the archives but couldn't find anything, does anyone know if they allow OC at the Spokane County Fair? The family and I are going to be heading there Wednesday and it would be nice to know if I'm going to get hassled or not.

amzbrady

It's ok to carry in public, just walking down the street and some people have been hassled that way. You probably need to call the psycic friends network to see in advance if you will be hassled. As far as if it is permitted or not you would probably be better off looking at their website for policies.

Phssthpok

You need to determine two things:

1: Is the fair county sponsored?

2: Is the fair held on county run fairgrounds?

If you can answer 'YES' to both questions, then Preemption applies.

If you answer 'NO' to either of those questions, then preemption DOES NOT apply, though this does not preclude the fair from allowing carry if they so choose.

See also HERE for the kind of info you need to seek out.

Jeff Hayes

BobR, myself and our lovely brides spent 4 hours at the fair today, said hi to a couple of Sheriffs Deputys as they drove by in their little golf cart. One guy said nice 45 to me other than that no other comments. The wife wore out, BobR was in search of a corndog when we said good day. Bob can add the comment he over heard at the gate getting in.

So the short answer is yes you can carry at the Spokane Country Fair.

The only odd thing was security asked to look in my wifes teeny tiny purse and completely ignored my firearm when we went through the main gate.

BobR

Pretty uneventful day at the fair. It was HOT! The one and only comment I heard was when I went in the "Y" gate at the side of the fair buildings. It is where the Sheriff's mobile command post is parked.

As I was getting my ID checked to get in for free (Patriots Day) I overheard one of the Kodiak Event security guards (in the blue T Shirts, not even the uniformed guys that Kodiak employs) say to someone "He is armed" and almost before he got the sentence out of his mouth he was corrected by one of the other people around the gate that open carry was legal. It could have been a Deputy or another security guard, I don't know because there were quite a few of both right there at the time.

So, the word is out, OC is legal at the fair and most of the people who need to know it probably know it.

I decided against a corn dog, opted for an Italian Sausage sandwich instead. :)

bob

Lammo

You need to determine two things:

1: Is the fair county sponsored?

2: Is the fair held on county run fairgrounds?

If you can answer 'YES' to both questions, then Preemption applies.

If you answer 'NO' to either of those questions, then preemption DOES NOT apply, though this does not preclude the fair from allowing carry if they so choose.

See also HERE for the kind of info you need to seek out.

As indicated by BobR and Orphan, they didn't have any problems OCing at the Spokane Fair. To directly answer your two questions: 1) the Spokane Interstate Fair is sponsored by Spokane County. I bought my tickets at the Board of County Commissioners Office (county employees get the group rate even if we only buy one ticket); and 2) the Spokane Interstate Fair is held at the Spokane County Fairgrounds, owned and operated by Spokane County.

Thor80

I decided against a corn dog, opted for an Italian Sausage sandwich instead. :)

bob

That New York style Italian Sausage Sandwich is the best! I had one last year at "Pig out in the Park" and a few weeks ago at the North Idaho Fair. :)

-Thor

o2ryan

Good to know, thanks! Looking forward to a great carry day on Wednesday!

Hacker, I will be at the fair on Wednesday evening also as my wife's band, The Groove, is performing at the GA stage outside the grand stands. I will keep an eye out for you, though I will probably not be OC as I am coming straight from work.

Hope to see you there.

fetch

I had a good time. I was questioned at the gate, but stated OC is legal and walked in. Walked by a couple of cops. No problem.
My wife was working one of the booths inside. Walked around inside, no problems. Meet up with snarly and his son. His wife was singing in the band and sounded pretty good. Went over to the WSP display and talked with the troopers, it was next to the stage Snarly's wife was singing on. The trooper on the right gave some good insite on how he goes into a situation. We talked for about 20 minutes. Pictures to prove it thanks to snarly. About 3 hrs. at the fair.

Attachments

• IMG_20110914_195826.jpg
    IMG_20110914_195826.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20110914_195953.jpg
    IMG_20110914_195953.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 113

amlevin

I had a good time. I was questioned at the gate, but stated OC is legal and walked in. Walked by a couple of cops. No problem.
My wife was working one of the booths inside. Walked around inside, no problems. Meet up with snarly and his son. His wife was singing in the band and sounded pretty good. Went over to the WSP display and talked with the troopers, it was next to the stage Snarly's wife was singing on. The trooper on the right gave some good insite on how he goes into a situation. We talked for about 20 minutes. Pictures to prove it thanks to snarly. About 3 hrs. at the fair.

Good pic's but in the first one it looks like you're taking a whiz on the front bumper of the car and in the second it looks like you've been "caught and cuffed". ;):);)

Last edited:

country.hacker

Sorry I missed you Fetch, the crew I was with wanted to leave around 5:15 or so (Our youngest got a root beer float dropped all over her).

Couple of the Carneys asked about my gun while I was getting on rides with my 4-year-old, in fact one said that I couldn't ride with it, but he said it as he was buttoning up the door on the spinny bear with me on the inside. Seemed more concerned about his 4:00 break than anything.

All in all a great day at the fair!