• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aurora, CO OC meet up!

Keens

Folks,

Come join M-Taliesin and I as we host a an OC meet up at The Golden Corral!

The Golden Corral
11090 E. Mississippi Ave.,
Aurora, Colorado 80012
Septemeber 24th, Noon!

Yea, I know its still a crappy buffet, their TV commercials sure make the food look delicious! The main point is an Open Carry meet and greet, plus exercising our rights! Come and meet folks who carry and make some new friends!

Just respond to me or M-T if you want to go, so we can let Golden Corral know how many people to expect, and please check out M-T's post as well!

Also, after lunch, I plan to go shooting in the National Forest just south of Idaho Springs. Those who meet for lunch are welcome to join, as I have access to a Honda Odyssey van for 6 passengers, and my bro-in-law has a Chrysler minivan for 6 too!

Hope to see you there!

Keens

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
It would be nice to hear from some folks who are planning to attend. We need to have a headcount for the Golden Corral so they can plan to accomodate how many of us are likely to attend.

Please confirm to this thread or my own on the same topic.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

We would like to get more folks to come for the meet up at Golden Corral on the 24th! I don't want to hear excuses! Just join the posse for an OC lunch! Those who have a day off, we can go to Walmart to get some ammo (OC, of course!), I'll drive to the NF!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Anyone up for Carpooling from the Springs?

Aw, screw the airshow! I've seen plenty of them. Besides, they're charging $15, which is the first time I've paid more than $0.00 to attend an airshow on a military installation.

Yeah, count me in. :monkey

Who else from the Springs will be attending? Want to carpool? I've a truck and can take two more with plenty of room for shooting gear, and an alarm system for when we're in the restaurant.

I'd like to go shooting in the Nat'l Forest, and will be heading back to the Springs at 3 pm sharp, as I've a housewarming party to attend.

We can meet at the north Park N Ride (SW corner of I-25 and Woodman). Please let me know soon! Thanks.

- since9

Last edited:

Keens

Aw, screw the airshow! I've seen plenty of them. Besides, they're charging $15, which is the first time I've paid more than $0.00 to attend an airshow on a military installation.

Yeah, count me in. :monkey

Who else from the Springs will be attending? Want to carpool? I've a truck and can take two more with plenty of room for shooting gear, and an alarm system for when we're in the restaurant.

I'd like to go shooting in the Nat'l Forest, and will be heading back to the Springs at 3 pm sharp, as I've a housewarming party to attend.

We can meet at the north Park N Ride (SW corner of I-25 and Woodman). Please let me know soon! Thanks.

- since9

Hello Since9,

Where would you suggest for a convenient NF shooting spot that should be convenient enough for all of us? The ones I usually visit are about a one hour drive west of Denver and about a 5 mile hike!

Keens

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hello Since9,

Where would you suggest for a convenient NF shooting spot that should be convenient enough for all of us? The ones I usually visit are about a one hour drive west of Denver and about a 5 mile hike!

Oh! By "I plan to go shooting in the National Forest just south of Idaho Springs" I thought you meant something reasonably close to the road, but of sufficient distance to meet the requirements. I did a little research, and came up with the following options:

Option 1: We young men head West and shoot in the open forest about an hour's drive and another hour and a half hike. I say "young men" as I can't hike that far with my bad ankle.

Option 2: Cherry Creek State Park Family Shooting Center. It's in Aurora, right around the corner from where we're having lunch. General Information: 303/791-1686 Office Line: 303/680-5401. Here's their advertisement:

"Open to the public. Open 10 - 6, 7 days a week – some holidays excluded. Special summer and fall extended hours—please call. Access the range from the east (Lehigh and Parker Rd.) and west (Dayton and Union) entrances to Cherry Creek State Park. Pistol and small bore rifle range, 50 and 100 yard rifle ranges, shotgun--automatic (ATA) and hand (Pedestal) trap; patterning range, hunter sight-in welcome. Limited rifle sight-in services and scope mounting, bore sighting. Classes and private instruction for beginning pistol, rifle and shotgun, firearms safety, and competition. NRA marksmanship programs. ATA registered shoots and informal shotgun leagues. Firearms rentals and instruction for the novice shooter. Ranges are fully supervised with NRA-certified instructors and certified range officers. All firearms must be in gun cases to enter the facility."

Here's their website. Directions.

The price would be $15.50, but I may be able to get the military discount for us all, which would be $13.50. Still kind of high, and it looks like one needs a Cherry Park State Pass, as well. This is starting to sound more "cherry" by the moment.

Option 3 (sort of a takeoff on Option 1): National Forest. Because there are geographic restrictions, if we go this route I'd suggest someone take point and call the Forest Service at Arapaho/Roosevelt National Forest at 970-295-6700 to find out where there's a spot we don't have to hike 5 miles from the road. According to the Code of Federal Regulations (title 36), recreational shooting can take place on the National Forests and Grasslands, as long as:

1. You are further than 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.

2. You are not shooting across or on a National Forest System Road or adjacent body of water.

3. You are not shooting in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.

Additional resources:

Interesting Map

Arapaho Target Shooting Page and Links

Keens

Oh! By "I plan to go shooting in the National Forest just south of Idaho Springs" I thought you meant something reasonably close to the road, but of sufficient distance to meet the requirements. I did a little research, and came up with the following options:

Option 1: We young men head West and shoot in the open forest about an hour's drive and another hour and a half hike. I say "young men" as I can't hike that far with my bad ankle.

Option 2: Cherry Creek State Park Family Shooting Center. It's in Aurora, right around the corner from where we're having lunch. General Information: 303/791-1686 Office Line: 303/680-5401. Here's their advertisement:

"Open to the public. Open 10 - 6, 7 days a week – some holidays excluded. Special summer and fall extended hours—please call. Access the range from the east (Lehigh and Parker Rd.) and west (Dayton and Union) entrances to Cherry Creek State Park. Pistol and small bore rifle range, 50 and 100 yard rifle ranges, shotgun--automatic (ATA) and hand (Pedestal) trap; patterning range, hunter sight-in welcome. Limited rifle sight-in services and scope mounting, bore sighting. Classes and private instruction for beginning pistol, rifle and shotgun, firearms safety, and competition. NRA marksmanship programs. ATA registered shoots and informal shotgun leagues. Firearms rentals and instruction for the novice shooter. Ranges are fully supervised with NRA-certified instructors and certified range officers. All firearms must be in gun cases to enter the facility."

Here's their website. Directions.

The price would be $15.50, but I may be able to get the military discount for us all, which would be $13.50. Still kind of high, and it looks like one needs a Cherry Park State Pass, as well. This is starting to sound more "cherry" by the moment.

Option 3 (sort of a takeoff on Option 1): National Forest. Because there are geographic restrictions, if we go this route I'd suggest someone take point and call the Forest Service at Arapaho/Roosevelt National Forest at 970-295-6700 to find out where there's a spot we don't have to hike 5 miles from the road. According to the Code of Federal Regulations (title 36), recreational shooting can take place on the National Forests and Grasslands, as long as:

1. You are further than 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.

2. You are not shooting across or on a National Forest System Road or adjacent body of water.

3. You are not shooting in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.

Additional resources:

Interesting Map

Arapaho Target Shooting Page and Links

It looks like not all those who come for lunch are going shooting too. The spot I frequent near Idaho Springs is a few miles south of town on Soda Creek Rd. Only rule is cannot shoot within 1/4 mile from the trailhead along with all the regular rules. Lets see what others think about the NF, I'm sure someone can suggest a good spot with easy access. I too have a bad ankle (a lot of metal! Illizerov external fixator too, serious, sick stuff!) That was 10 years ago, but I still rather take it easy, anybody know of some good NF spots to shoot that can accompany us all, young and old? About Cherry Creek Shooting, umm, no thanks! If we go to a range, I prefer elsewhere, I'll let you folks decide!

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

I'm in so long as I don't get called in to work. Probably won't go shooting . Mind if I post the meet on COGO?

Howdy Amigo!
If you'd like to crosspost on COGO, I'd surely thank you for doing so. The more folks we can get together, the more fun it will be!
Thank you for asking!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

jskp229

M-T & group...

Add two more - it looks like I'm in for lunch. I'm heading to the Tanner show for the morning w/ a friend (not on OCDO) & he will be coming with me to the lunch. According to my wife, this guy is the one that corrupted me (i.e. introduced me to shooting).

Don't know about shooting, that's TBD. Schedule is crazed this month for both of us.

Where in Indian Springs is the shooting area? Anyone have map and/or GPS coordinates or a Google/Bing map link?

Thanks & see everyone next Saturday...

Last edited:

Keens

M-T & group...

Add two more - it looks like I'm in for lunch. I'm heading to the Tanner show for the morning w/ a friend (not on OCDO) & he will be coming with me to the lunch. According to my wife, this guy is the one that corrupted me (i.e. introduced me to shooting).

Don't know about shooting, that's TBD. Schedule is crazed this month for both of us.

Where in Idaho Springs is the shooting area? Anyone have map and/or GPS coordinates or a Google/Bing map link?

Awesome! See you guys Sat! I will look up coordinates for the shooting spot.

Keens

Where in Idaho Springs is the shooting area? Anyone have map and/or GPS coordinates or a Google/Bing map link?

39 degrees 42.8958 N 105 degrees 33.2684 W

Coordinates are from Google Earth.

This is the parking lot. There are 2 trailheads that start here. Just have to be minimum 1/4 mile away from trailhead to shoot. Hope this helps.

jskp229

Guys,

For those of us that can't (for whatever reason) make a hike to shoot, there are other options not too far from the national forest location being discussed. The primary difference is you can drive right up to your shooting area & it is a recognized area for shooting. The downside is that it may have more competition on weekends.

Here is the link for the proposed location:
Coordinates: 39.428958, -105.332684, Bing Link: http://tinyurl.com/63bev9h

Here is where I have been shooting before. If you use the birdseye view, you will be able to see the parking & shooting area.
Coordinates: 39.329385,-105.250397, Road: NF-528G, Bing Link: http://tinyurl.com/63bmunr

If I have the original location correct, this other location is not that far away & could get more of us older guys going.

Here is the comparison: http://tinyurl.com/5rljfx4

Thoughts?