Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Macomb Daily - Michigan man sues police for open carry harassment

Moderator / Administrator

Macomb Daily - Michigan man sues police for open carry harassment

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/...ewmode=default

SNIP

"A Warren man who is an advocate for firearm “open carry” practices is suing the city and its police department, claiming officers violated his Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Jeffery Haman, 54, seeks a $100,000 judgment and $500,000 in punitive or exemplary damages, as part of the lawsuit he filed recently in U.S. District Court.

With a semi-automatic pistol holstered at his waist, Haman, a former firearms dealer, was walking home from a local drug store at 12 Mile and Hoover roads in August 2009 when a patrolman quickly drove up to him.

. . .

The Warren man is a member of the national Open Carry organization. He acknowledged that people who see him practicing his Second Amendment right ask him if he is carrying his gun legally. Haman said he explains the law in Michigan, provides a pamphlet and suggests they visit www.opencarry.org. He said people typically thank him for the explanation and admit they didn’t know the law."
    Last edited by Mike; 09-12-2011 at 01:14 AM.

gotta love how they cut out audio at the begining
    hope he wins the case, only way police will listen is if ya hit them in the pocketbook

Great another sticky.........I do hope he wins the case.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I must wonder why Mike makes every posts of his here "Sticky". Especially when there is another thread already being actively discussed on the same topic!

Haven't we enough stickies in this sub-forum?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Wink This is a job for STUPOR DUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I must wonder why Mike makes every posts of his here "Sticky". Especially when there is another thread already being actively discussed on the same topic!

Thou Shalt not bite the SUPER Moderator's hand that runith thoust forum's {Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no a plane, no it's SITCKY-MAN} http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5YoEtapUA

All kidding aside remember Q, it's just John & Mike covering THOUSANDS of threads, not too bad of a job in my opinion for just the two of them working part-time on this site; while holding down full time gigs in a cold hard world also, wouldn't you agree?

Peace out! G9OS
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 09-12-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typo
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

This is a great idea making this a sticky right on the very top of the forum for quick and easy reading.

Substituting "jack booted thugs" for "troops" in the quote results in the same message being conveyed to the citizenry.
    Last edited by 1ADAM12; 09-12-2011 at 09:34 PM.

He does that in the Iowa sub as well... Every man has his fetish... Mikes just happens to be stickies!! (JK Mike. )

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up +1

Quote Originally Posted by 1ADAM12 View Post
    This is a great idea making this a sticky right on the very top of the forum for quick and easy reading.

Substituting "jack booted thugs" for "troops" in the quote results in the same message being conveyed to the citizenry.
    Wonder if the chief falls asleep every night with visions of swastika's dancing in his head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1LFW...eature=related
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    gotta love how they cut out audio at the begining
    hope he wins the case, only way police will listen is if ya hit them in the pocketbook
    This is true, however in this case prison time would be more appropriate, as that is a more traditional penalty for feloniously assaulting someone.

Last edited by Michigander; 09-12-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    This is true, however in this case prison time would be more appropriate, as that is a more traditional penalty for feloniously assaulting someone.

That picture is one more piece of evidence that Warren is a first-world city run by third-world dictators.

Any update on this suit?

Thumbs up

Went to scheduling today.Judge set schedule,recommends quick settlement.Judge understands and is on top of it.Good for US! CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    Went to scheduling today.Judge set schedule,recommends quick settlement.Judge understands and is on top of it.Good for US! CARRY ON!
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    Judge set schedule,recommends quick settlement.
    Well, I hope the judge gets what he/she wants, but the settlement must involve more than money. No substantial and real training or policy reforms by Warren PD is not acceptable. I believe everyone who donated for this legal action would agree their donation was for "change we can believe in!"

Agreed?
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Well, I hope the judge gets what he/she wants, but the settlement must involve more than money. No substantial and real training or policy reforms by Warren PD is not acceptable. I believe everyone who donated for this legal action would agree their donation was for "change we can believe in!"

Agreed?
    absolutely, pay out is not enough, Warren has got to take responsibility for its violation of, in this case, Jeff's rights that were violated.

I hope a couple things

(1) they pay out the nose
    (2) forced retraining of not only the "troops" as the chief call them, but as him as well
    (3) the settlement does not come with a "hush" clause that requires the plaintiff to shut up afterwards
    (3) a public apology from the police department of warren

it would be great to know that if another OCer walks down the streets of warren, these 4 cops wont jump them and point a gun at them for exercising a LEGAL activity
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i strongly agree with dan and onnie. if your case is strong it needs to go all the way. no settlement! demand a judgement!
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    i strongly agree with dan and onnie. If your case is strong it needs to go all the way. No settlement! Demand a judgement!
    amen!!!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    absolutely, pay out is not enough, Warren has got to take responsibility for its violation of, in this case, Jeff's rights that were violated.

I hope a couple things

(1) they pay out the nose
    (2) forced retraining of not only the "troops" as the chief call them, but as him as well
    (3) the settlement does not come with a "hush" clause that requires the plaintiff to shut up afterwards
    (3) a public apology from the police department of warren

it would be great to know that if another OCer walks down the streets of warren, these 4 cops wont jump them and point a gun at them for exercising a LEGAL activity

that would be great..

Going all the way costs $$$$$$
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    it also reaps $$$$$$ and no confidentiality agreement
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

A mere money settlement and confidentiality agreement would be unacceptable.

That's not what we donated for.
    Last edited by DanM; 10-14-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Did you put that stipulation in the comments box of your donation?

I didn't know we could make demands if we donated.

In that case, I would like a Bic Mac Value Meal if he settles.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

If you are expecting something in return, that, sir, is a purchase.

A donation is just that, a donation. It was made with the belief that, if Jeff wins, it is good for all of us. And this is true. But making statements such as yours is in poor taste, IMO

ETA: For the record though, while perhaps not 'ideal', a cash settlement, for enough money, would still be a positive win for everyone, as it would still make WPD think before they act. A pocketbook is a powerful thing.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 10-15-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: to add stuff

I did not donate to this, BUT, if this goes down with a confidentiality, then I NEVER WILL for any future endeavours.

Settlement with confidentiality = greed

Now, go ahead & flame on....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast