• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb Daily - Michigan man sues police for open carry harassment

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2011/09/10/news/doc4e6c0c62350f3444380143.txt?viewmode=default

SNIP

"A Warren man who is an advocate for firearm “open carry” practices is suing the city and its police department, claiming officers violated his Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Jeffery Haman, 54, seeks a $100,000 judgment and $500,000 in punitive or exemplary damages, as part of the lawsuit he filed recently in U.S. District Court.

With a semi-automatic pistol holstered at his waist, Haman, a former firearms dealer, was walking home from a local drug store at 12 Mile and Hoover roads in August 2009 when a patrolman quickly drove up to him.

. . .

The Warren man is a member of the national Open Carry organization. He acknowledged that people who see him practicing his Second Amendment right ask him if he is carrying his gun legally. Haman said he explains the law in Michigan, provides a pamphlet and suggests they visit www.opencarry.org. He said people typically thank him for the explanation and admit they didn’t know the law."

Last edited:

RenkaiWulf

gotta love how they cut out audio at the begining
hope he wins the case, only way police will listen is if ya hit them in the pocketbook

TheQ

I must wonder why Mike makes every posts of his here "Sticky". Especially when there is another thread already being actively discussed on the same topic!

Haven't we enough stickies in this sub-forum?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
This is a job for STUPOR DUCK!

I must wonder why Mike makes every posts of his here "Sticky". Especially when there is another thread already being actively discussed on the same topic!

Thou Shalt not bite the SUPER Moderator's hand that runith thoust forum's {Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no a plane, no it's SITCKY-MAN} http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5YoEtapUA

All kidding aside remember Q, it's just John & Mike covering THOUSANDS of threads, not too bad of a job in my opinion for just the two of them working part-time on this site; while holding down full time gigs in a cold hard world also, wouldn't you agree? ;)

Peace out! G9OS;)

Last edited:

1ADAM12

This is a great idea making this a sticky right on the very top of the forum for quick and easy reading.

Substituting "jack booted thugs" for "troops" in the quote results in the same message being conveyed to the citizenry.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

He does that in the Iowa sub as well... Every man has his fetish... Mikes just happens to be stickies!! (JK Mike. )

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

Michigander

gotta love how they cut out audio at the begining
hope he wins the case, only way police will listen is if ya hit them in the pocketbook

This is true, however in this case prison time would be more appropriate, as that is a more traditional penalty for feloniously assaulting someone.

WarrenPD.jpg

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

Went to scheduling today.Judge set schedule,recommends quick settlement.Judge understands and is on top of it.Good for US! CARRY ON!

DanM

Judge set schedule,recommends quick settlement.

Well, I hope the judge gets what he/she wants, but the settlement must involve more than money. No substantial and real training or policy reforms by Warren PD is not acceptable. I believe everyone who donated for this legal action would agree their donation was for "change we can believe in!"

Agreed?

Onnie

Well, I hope the judge gets what he/she wants, but the settlement must involve more than money. No substantial and real training or policy reforms by Warren PD is not acceptable. I believe everyone who donated for this legal action would agree their donation was for "change we can believe in!"

Agreed?

absolutely, pay out is not enough, Warren has got to take responsibility for its violation of, in this case, Jeff's rights that were violated.

I hope a couple things

(1) they pay out the nose
(2) forced retraining of not only the "troops" as the chief call them, but as him as well
(3) the settlement does not come with a "hush" clause that requires the plaintiff to shut up afterwards
(3) a public apology from the police department of warren

it would be great to know that if another OCer walks down the streets of warren, these 4 cops wont jump them and point a gun at them for exercising a LEGAL activity

rvd4now

absolutely, pay out is not enough, Warren has got to take responsibility for its violation of, in this case, Jeff's rights that were violated.

I hope a couple things

(1) they pay out the nose
(2) forced retraining of not only the "troops" as the chief call them, but as him as well
(3) the settlement does not come with a "hush" clause that requires the plaintiff to shut up afterwards
(3) a public apology from the police department of warren

it would be great to know that if another OCer walks down the streets of warren, these 4 cops wont jump them and point a gun at them for exercising a LEGAL activity

that would be great..