• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Q: Why do you carry a gun?

Dave Workman

In my Monday 9-12 Examiner column, I ask a straightforward question, looking for thoughtful responses.
You OC guys are among the most active of all gun rights activists, so I could scarcely overlook you.

Give this a read and please give some thoughtful answers. If you answer here, please cut and paste and answer below the column, too.

Show 'em what you're made of

:)

True confessions: Why do you carry a gun?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/true-confessions-why-do-you-carry-a-gun

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
"But all of this skirts the initial question. Why do you carry a handgun?"

· "Have you personally ever been threatened with violence?"

Yes I have, in each case I was able to present a weapon greater than that of my potential attacker.

· "Are you the victim of a violent attack?"

Fortunately I have never been Successfully attacked, but I have been attacked.

· "Do you carry simply because it makes you feel macho?"

No, I believe anyone carrying a firearm just to feel macho should leave it at home. Firearms are not for starting fights, they are for preventing fights.

· "Do you doubt the ability of police to protect you from crime?

Sadly, yes. After one altercation, I was followed in my truck by the instigator of the altercation. While I was waiting at a traffic light the man came up to my passenger side window and started trying to break the glass while yelling "I've got you mo#@er fu*%er you're mine!" I ran the red light to escape the situation and called the police only to be told that they would do nothing about the man trying to break into my truck with me in it.

· "If you carry openly, do you use a simple belt holster or wear your pistol in a tactical thigh rig?"

I do open carry in a Fobus thumb break roto-belt holster 100% of the time.

· "Do you make it a point to show people you carry a firearm, or do you feel it is none of their business if you are armed?"

I don't make it a point, but I do open carry and a full size handgun is hard to miss.

· "Do you believe there should be no restrictions, few restrictions (i.e. jails, mental facilities, courtrooms, public buildings, public schools and/or hospitals) or widespread restrictions (including sports stadiums, taverns and cocktail lounges, restaurants, public parks) on where you can legally carry?

Few restrictions, I believe grade school teachers with concealed carry permits should be able to carry on their person in the classroom. College students should be able to carry on campus. Yes to stadiums, hospitals, public buildings, and parks. Mental facilities and jails should be concealed carry for visitors. Bars and restaurants should be open carry only and no drinking while carrying.

hermannr

In my Monday 9-12 Examiner column, I ask a straightforward question, looking for thoughtful responses.
You OC guys are among the most active of all gun rights activists, so I could scarcely overlook you.

Give this a read and please give some thoughtful answers. If you answer here, please cut and paste and answer below the column, too.

Show 'em what you're made of

:)

True confessions: Why do you carry a gun?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/true-confessions-why-do-you-carry-a-gun

Well Dave, I carry (OC) on our property because we live in an area that has quite a few 4 legged preditors (Bears and Cougars) and I have had occational need to scare them off. So far, firing into the air has been enough.

Up here in the Highlands there are a few 2 legged preditors also, but they know who is armed, and who is not. They tend to leave the armed people alone. Sheriff response time is 1/2 hour minimum, so you need to be able to protect yourself up here. Our Sheriff's Department is good, but they cannot be everywhere at once.

I also carry (usually OC) when we go to town, or the city, for self protection. In 40+ years of carry I have had one occation that my holstered pistol defused a bad situation, without ever leaving the holster. The problem suddenly decided he had other things to do than beat me up when he saw the holstered Colt.

I am no longer young enough to physically protect myself and my wife, so I carry a little help on my hip. I very much prefer OC, but in the winter, my coat covers the gun, so I also have my CPL.

After re-reading your article, I guess I should add...I have a good leather level II or Level III hip holster for each of my pistols. Retention is for horseback as well as for the possibility of having the weapon taken out by someone else.

Last edited:

beebobby

I carry to protect myself against tps who are pushing for armed rebellion because they don't like the POTUS.

HvyMtl

Why do I carry a gun?

Smarty pants joke response: Cause a Police Officer is too heavy.

Real reason: Because I have been in the position of needing it, and not having it. Not going to be in that position again, if I can help it.

Interesting article and responses.

Last edited:

Ruby

I carry a gun because I am the only one responsible for my safety and security.

Because the world we live in today is a much more dangerous place than the world I grew up in 50+ years ago.

I have never been threatened with violence or been the victim of an attack, but there have been times when I was VERY uncomfortable with the situation I was in and removed myself as quickly as possible.

I also carry because it is my Constitutional right to do so; thank God, not the government! This "right" will only continue by being exercised. I also hope to educate and encourage other women to carry to protect themselves.

No, I don't feel "macho" when carrying. just comfortable knowing it's there if I need it. I used to worry what other people thought, but don't much care any more.

I believe in as few restrictions as possible. I think the current restrictions regarding jails, mental hospitals, restrictions for felons, etc. are enough. People who carry guns should be able to defend themselves wherever they need to.

OldCurlyWolf

Well Dave, I carry (OC) on our property because we live in an area that has quite a few 4 legged preditors (Bears and Cougars) and I have had occational need to scare them off. So far, firing into the air has been enough.

Up here in the Highlands there are a few 2 legged preditors also, but they know who is armed, and who is not. They tend to leave the armed people alone. Sheriff response time is 1/2 hour minimum, so you need to be able to protect yourself up here. Our Sheriff's Department is good, but they cannot be everywhere at once.

I also carry (usually OC) when we go to town, or the city, for self protection. In 40+ years of carry I have had one occation that my holstered pistol defused a bad situation, without ever leaving the holster. The problem suddenly decided he had other things to do than beat me up when he saw the holstered Colt.

I am no longer young enough to physically protect myself and my wife, so I carry a little help on my hip. I very much prefer OC, but in the winter, my coat covers the gun, so I also have my CPL.

After re-reading your article, I guess I should add...I have a good leather level II or Level III hip holster for each of my pistols. Retention is for horseback as well as for the possibility of having the weapon taken out by someone else.

Please tell me that "in the air" is just a euphemism.

Even if your nearest neighbor is a mile away that should NEVER be done. If you must fire to frighten, shoot a tree or the ground. Not rocks and not air.:banghead:

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I carry because of the two legged predators who are out there.

I've had to draw my handgun twice. Once in San Diego in defense of someone who was being attacked by a Hispanic gang. Once, here in WA to keep from being beaten by someone with a baseball bat. In both cases the mere sight of the gun in my hand was enough to stave off disaster. Thankfully, I've never had to fire a shot. God willing, it will stay that way.

Last edited:

Dave Workman

The debate heats up in Congress

BATTLEGROUND: Concealed carry debate heating up nationally, locally

Days after a federal judge ruled in a New York case that Empire State residents do not have a constitutional right to carry concealed handguns in public, the U.S. House Judiciary Committee yesterday took up the debate over whether states should be required to recognize and honor valid concealed carry permits or licenses issued by other states.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ed-carry-debate-heating-up-nationally-locally

golddigger14s

Activist Member
But all of this skirts the initial question. Why do you carry a handgun?

· Have you personally ever been threatened with violence? No

· Are you the victim of a violent attack? No

· Do you carry simply because it makes you feel macho? No, even with the gun I feel about as "macho" as Dennis the menace.

· Do you doubt the ability of police to protect you from crime? Yes, they respond to crime not prevent it. Just like the Fire Dept., they don't stop the fire from starting they just try to contain it.

· If you carry openly, do you use a simple belt holster or wear your pistol in a tactical thigh rig? Level II paddle holster.

· Do you make it a point to show people you carry a firearm, or do you feel it is none of their business if you are armed? No, if they notice it or not I don't "show" it off.

· Do you believe there should be no restrictions, few restrictions (i.e. jails, mental facilities, courtrooms, public buildings, public schools and/or hospitals) or widespread restrictions (including sports stadiums, taverns and cocktail lounges, restaurants, public parks) on where you can legally carry?

I don't have a problem with there being a few restrictions like court rooms, as long as they can make sure (metal detectors) NOBODY legal or illegal has a gun. So many times people have been killed where guns were not "allowed" ie. Ft. Hood.

steelhawk

I carry for a lot of reasons.

There are dangerous people out there, more than ever before. The police do not have a duty to protect you. They are mostly involved after it happened, then try to apprehend the bad guy.

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Ultimately, I am responsible for my own safety, not someone else.

OldCurlyWolf

Just in case.

I started in 1978 when I hit the street as a rookie patrolman. Except when I was in CA and in CT been carrying most of the time since then.

rodbender

The police have no obligation to protect me so I must take it upon myself. The police can clean up the mess afterward. I have pulled it twice, never fired a shot. Thank you, Lord.

hermannr

Please tell me that "in the air" is just a euphemism.

Even if your nearest neighbor is a mile away that should NEVER be done. If you must fire to frighten, shoot a tree or the ground. Not rocks and not air.:banghead:

Yes, "In the air" means "not at the animal". Yes I know very well how far a bullet from any firearm will go, if unimpeaded.

However, where I live, it will be impeaded only by trees or mountains, even if it is actually shot in the air. From 1 mile north +/- of me to about 8 miles north is heavy forest NF and mountains. Some goes for south +/- except it would be state land. East and west there are scattered dwellings, some occupied, some not. Lot sizes here run from 5 acres to about 7,000 acres. Much better chance of hitting a cow, deer or turkey than a person or building.

What I really shoot at though is the nearest hillside that is at least far enough away that there is no chance of a piece of lead or rock making it back to me. I prefer grassy hillsides to putting a bullet in one of my trees. (I may hit the bullet with my chainsaw later.)

Last edited:

okboomer

"But all of this skirts the initial question. Why do you carry a handgun?"

· "Have you personally ever been threatened with violence?"

Yes, more than once, and each time I pulled the pistol, they suddenly had somewhere else to be.

· "Are you the victim of a violent attack?"

Yes, twice since becoming an adult, and neither time was I able to carry as it was during the no-carry time.

· "Do you carry simply because it makes you feel macho?"

Feel macho? No. Safe, yes. Secure, yes. Empowered, yes.

· "Do you doubt the ability of police to protect you from crime?

Yes, I felt that way before I found out that SCOTUS determined the police do NOT have any obligation to protect an individual.

· "If you carry openly, do you use a simple belt holster or wear your pistol in a tactical thigh rig?"

I cannot carry open in my home state at this time.

· "Do you make it a point to show people you carry a firearm, or do you feel it is none of their business if you are armed?"

Actually, when I was a bail enforcement agent, I made darn sure my clients knew I was armed at all times, and on more than one occassion I had the pistol in my hand in my lap during the interview, and on several occassions, I had the pistol on the table top with my hand on it. I also opened the door (solid core steel door, locked at all times) with my pistol in hand and made sure the client knew it was condition 1.

· "Do you believe there should be no restrictions, few restrictions (i.e. jails, mental facilities, courtrooms, public buildings, public schools and/or hospitals) or widespread restrictions (including sports stadiums, taverns and cocktail lounges, restaurants, public parks) on where you can legally carry?

I believe there should be no restrictions on carrying. It isn't the LACs that are the problem, it is the criminals/felons who are carrying concealed that are the problem.

rpyne

But all of this skirts the initial question. Why do you carry a handgun?

I am ultimately responsible for my own and my families safety.

· Have you personally ever been threatened with violence? Yes

· Are you the victim of a violent attack? Yes

· Do you carry simply because it makes you feel macho? No. I am anything but "macho". I am a middle aged, overweight nerd. I also don't carry because I am afraid, I carry so I don't have to be afraid.

· Do you doubt the ability of police to protect you from crime? Yes. Police have no duty or ability to protect anyone. They simply mop up after the crime is committed.

· If you carry openly, do you use a simple belt holster or wear your pistol in a tactical thigh rig? Blackhawk Serpa QSC paddle

· Do you make it a point to show people you carry a firearm, or do you feel it is none of their business if you are armed? I don't make a point unless I feel threatened. I don't hide it either.

· Do you believe there should be no restrictions, few restrictions (i.e. jails, mental facilities, courtrooms, public buildings, public schools and/or hospitals) or widespread restrictions (including sports stadiums, taverns and cocktail lounges, restaurants, public parks) on where you can legally carry? Yes, I believe there should be no restrictions. The only thing restrictions do is make unarmed targets. We have seen time and time again that there is nowhere a determined criminal cannot get a weapon.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ok, I'll byte

Why do you carry a handgun?

· Have you personally ever been threatened with violence?

Yes.

· Are you the victim of a violent attack?

Yes

· Do you carry simply because it makes you feel macho?

No.

· Do you doubt the ability of police to protect you from crime?

Not at all - once they finally arrive. I carry for protection during interval between T-0 to T+480 (seconds).

· If you carry openly, do you use a simple belt holster or wear your pistol in a tactical thigh rig?

Tactical thigh rig.

· Do you make it a point to show people you carry a firearm, or do you feel it is none of their business if you are armed?

Whether they notice or not is their business. I do not draw attention to it.

· Do you believe there should be no restrictions, few restrictions (i.e. jails, mental facilities, courtrooms, public buildings, public schools and/or hospitals) or widespread restrictions (including sports stadiums, taverns and cocktail lounges, restaurants, public parks) on where you can legally carry?

I believe the primary restrictions should involve who carries, not where it's carried. I do not believe convicted felons, the mentally incompetent, or illegal aliens should be allowed to carry. Legal aliens, including tourists, sure, so long as they've got their passport and a stamped visa. However, in areas where a gun grab is likely, including jails, mental facilities, and courtrooms (lots of convicted felons there), then I'd be amenable to checking my iron, provided whatever security the courts provide is tight.

I'm definitely opposed to restrictions in schools, however. As we've seen from Columbine, U of TX, and VA Tech, gun control DOES NOT WORK. The ONLY thing it does is prevent law-abiding citizens from defending themselves against law-breaking nut jobs.

If some member of the public doesn't like seeing an honest, law-abiding citizen carrying a firearm, they can either shut their eyes or return whatever gun-control state they left.

Last edited: