Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNR, Hunter Safety and Permit Requirements

DNR, Hunter Safety and Permit Requirements

http://<br /> http://www.wsaw.com/h...... 53633.html

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- State wildlife officials are concerned that people who want concealed-weapon permits are satisfying the training requirement by taking hunter-education classes.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources says the hunting classes weren't intended to cover concealed-carry issues.

The concealed-carry law takes effect Nov. 1. Under the law, residents who can prove they've completed training can apply for a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

A Green Bay Press-Gazette report says the state hasn't released specific requirements for firearm training, but the law says a DNR-established class on hunter education would qualify.

DNR spokesman Edward Culhane has doubts. He says hunter-education classes aren't an appropriate substitute for concealed-carry training. He says there's a difference between hunter safety and self-defense, and also between firing rifles or shotguns and firing handguns.

Duh

But, it IS the law.

If SB93 would have been passed in its original form, we wouldn't be having these issues.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Doesn't matter what DNR spokesman Edward Culhane says...the law is the law plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    If SB93 would have been passed in its original form, we wouldn't be having these issues.
    Yup, I totally agree. snicker snicker

Well if the a55hats at the DNR are sooo concerned, why don't they change the Hunters Safety course to include pistol training? MORONS.

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Well if the a55hats at the DNR are sooo concerned, why don't they change the Hunters Safety course to include pistol training? MORONS.
    Well for one thing it's a hunting course, and while some people hunt using a pistol it's probably no more than 1 or 2 out of every 100 hunters who do so. Plus kids can't hunt with a handgun and the course is designed in large part to teach young kids about hunting. And even if they did change the curriculum to include pistols, the relevance to defensive shooting would be, as it is now, no greater than the NRA Firearms Safety course or Pistol course--- neither of which is presented as a defensive shooting course, but are equally acceptable training for the WI CCW license.

I see no reason to change a thing about the hunters safety program. It is what it is, and what it is designed to be. Obviously the legislature didn't think it's necessary to be a trained gunslinger to carry a gun for security and defense. But at a minimum they want people to be indoctrinated with the basic rules of gun safety, something that applies equally to every sort of firearm. One doesn't need familiarity with a handgun to apply those safe gun handling rules to one.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Doesn't matter what DNR spokesman Edward Culhane says...the law is the law plain and simple.
    Ding! Winner! His opinion changes nothing.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

memories tend to get clouded with time. The original intent of SB93 was for constitutional carry it became apparent during debate that enough votes to pass was questionable and Governor approval was not assured without some type of licensing and training. Of special concern was the element of training. The training requirements put into the bill were the very minimum needed to get enough votes for passage and the governor's signature. There was no intent that the training requirements of Act 35 be the epitome of defensive and tactical use of firearms. They were put into the bill with Sen Galloway's pledge that she would take up the issue of constitutional carry during next session. That remains to be seen. We'll see which hand fills up first.

I makethe prediction that after everybody has their brand new shiny concealed carry permit that there will be many exclamations of "why do we need constitutional carry"? We have one of the better shall issue systems in the country so why bother"? Unless we keep the pressure on the legislature constitutional carry will die on the vine.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I makethe prediction that after everybody has their brand new shiny concealed carry permit that there will be many exclamations of "why do we need constitutional carry"?
    Right. It will be Constitutional Carry with an optional permit system for those who want reciprocity.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Right. It will be Constitutional Carry with an optional permit system for those who want reciprocity.

You mean Constitutional Carry across the US?

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Constitutional Carry will come. Party Poopers need not apply.

Also, I challenge the Negative Nancy's to put up or shut up. I will be attending a conference on how to move forward in our fight for 2A rights. Go there, learn and get involved. Do something or ****.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Yes, but do you really want young future hunters to be crowded out of classes. Now, IF WCI had FREE or Cost-of-Membership training($15), then we could make sure the Hunters Safety stays available to the youngesters.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    Yes, but do you really want young future hunters to be crowded out of classes.
    Cite?
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Yes, but do you really want young future hunters to be crowded out of classes. Now, IF WCI had FREE or Cost-of-Membership training($15), then we could make sure the Hunters Safety stays available to the youngesters.
    If the training lobby had not weaseled their way into the bill, WCI would be doing free training. Now someone needs to pay $200 per Instructor Certification to the NRA.

I plan on doing so ASAP. That's one guy. We'll need more than that obviously.

Cite?
    For what? A concern?

For what? A concern?
    No for the bullcrap. Thats a leftist ploy, "Oh its for the children! Why do you hate children so much?" Blah, Blah, Blah.
    Last edited by oak1971; 09-13-2011 at 12:21 AM.

For what? A concern?
    How many young future hunters have thus far been displaced from classes by those seeking to meet the CC permit requirement for training prey tell?
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-13-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

How many young future hunters have thus far have been displaced from classes by those seeking to meet the CC permit requirement for training prey tell?
    But if we can save just one child from the horror of waiting in line....

Do CC permit seekers go to the front of the line and head of the class? If so put me down for that one too.

Don't shoot at blaze orange deer.

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-13-2011 at 12:32 AM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Do CC permit seekers go to the front of the line and head of the class? If so put me down for that one too.
    No they have to sit in the corner for having the gall to use one of the avenues provided in the bill for the permit. Silly.

Future Hunters reminds me of the Ray Bradbury story where they go back in time to hunt Dinosaurs. One guy breaks the rules in a panic and accidentally steps off the path. When they travel Back to the Future they find it has changed. He had inadvertently stepped on a butterfly.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Future Hunters reminds me of the Ray Bradbury story where they go back in time to hunt Dinosaurs. One guy breaks the rules in a panic and accidentally steps off the path. When they travel Back to the Future they find it has changed. He had inadvertently stepped on a butterfly.
    Butterfly Effect.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808413764/info

McX
    in my humble opinion hunter's safety classes are for hunters, CC classes are for carriers. thusly spoken.

Except the DNR cannot even prove Act 35 is the reason hunting classes are filling up. Most people are still interested in hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    in my humble opinion hunter's safety classes are for hunters, CC classes are for carriers. thusly spoken.
    "In my opinion..." It's logables!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast