• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR, Hunter Safety and Permit Requirements

phred

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/Wis_ ... 53633.html

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- State wildlife officials are concerned that people who want concealed-weapon permits are satisfying the training requirement by taking hunter-education classes.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources says the hunting classes weren't intended to cover concealed-carry issues.

The concealed-carry law takes effect Nov. 1. Under the law, residents who can prove they've completed training can apply for a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

A Green Bay Press-Gazette report says the state hasn't released specific requirements for firearm training, but the law says a DNR-established class on hunter education would qualify.

DNR spokesman Edward Culhane has doubts. He says hunter-education classes aren't an appropriate substitute for concealed-carry training. He says there's a difference between hunter safety and self-defense, and also between firing rifles or shotguns and firing handguns.

Duh :banghead:

But, it IS the law.

protias

If SB93 would have been passed in its original form, we wouldn't be having these issues.

anmut

Well if the a55hats at the DNR are sooo concerned, why don't they change the Hunters Safety course to include pistol training? MORONS.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Well if the a55hats at the DNR are sooo concerned, why don't they change the Hunters Safety course to include pistol training? MORONS.

Well for one thing it's a hunting course, and while some people hunt using a pistol it's probably no more than 1 or 2 out of every 100 hunters who do so. Plus kids can't hunt with a handgun and the course is designed in large part to teach young kids about hunting. And even if they did change the curriculum to include pistols, the relevance to defensive shooting would be, as it is now, no greater than the NRA Firearms Safety course or Pistol course--- neither of which is presented as a defensive shooting course, but are equally acceptable training for the WI CCW license.

I see no reason to change a thing about the hunters safety program. It is what it is, and what it is designed to be. Obviously the legislature didn't think it's necessary to be a trained gunslinger to carry a gun for security and defense. But at a minimum they want people to be indoctrinated with the basic rules of gun safety, something that applies equally to every sort of firearm. One doesn't need familiarity with a handgun to apply those safe gun handling rules to one.

Captain Nemo

memories tend to get clouded with time. The original intent of SB93 was for constitutional carry it became apparent during debate that enough votes to pass was questionable and Governor approval was not assured without some type of licensing and training. Of special concern was the element of training. The training requirements put into the bill were the very minimum needed to get enough votes for passage and the governor's signature. There was no intent that the training requirements of Act 35 be the epitome of defensive and tactical use of firearms. They were put into the bill with Sen Galloway's pledge that she would take up the issue of constitutional carry during next session. That remains to be seen. We'll see which hand fills up first.

I makethe prediction that after everybody has their brand new shiny concealed carry permit that there will be many exclamations of "why do we need constitutional carry"? We have one of the better shall issue systems in the country so why bother"? Unless we keep the pressure on the legislature constitutional carry will die on the vine.

HandyHamlet

I makethe prediction that after everybody has their brand new shiny concealed carry permit that there will be many exclamations of "why do we need constitutional carry"?

Right. It will be Constitutional Carry with an optional permit system for those who want reciprocity.

:cool:

oak1971

Also, I challenge the Negative Nancy's to put up or shut up. I will be attending a conference on how to move forward in our fight for 2A rights. Go there, learn and get involved. Do something or ****.

oak1971

Yes, but do you really want young future hunters to be crowded out of classes. Now, IF WCI had FREE or Cost-of-Membership training($15), then we could make sure the Hunters Safety stays available to the youngesters.

If the training lobby had not weaseled their way into the bill, WCI would be doing free training. Now someone needs to pay $200 per Instructor Certification to the NRA.

I plan on doing so ASAP. That's one guy. We'll need more than that obviously.

HandyHamlet

Do CC permit seekers go to the front of the line and head of the class? If so put me down for that one too.

Don't shoot at blaze orange deer.

:p

Last edited: