• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR, Hunter Safety and Permit Requirements

HandyHamlet

Future Hunters reminds me of the Ray Bradbury story where they go back in time to hunt Dinosaurs. One guy breaks the rules in a panic and accidentally steps off the path. When they travel Back to the Future they find it has changed. He had inadvertently stepped on a butterfly.

M

McX

Yes, but do you really want young future hunters to be crowded out of classes. Now, IF WCI had FREE or Cost-of-Membership training($15), then we could make sure the Hunters Safety stays available to the youngesters.

in my humble opinion hunter's safety classes are for hunters, CC classes are for carriers. thusly spoken.

protias

Yes, but do you really want young future hunters to be crowded out of classes. Now, IF WCI had FREE or Cost-of-Membership training($15), then we could make sure the Hunters Safety stays available to the youngesters.
Except the DNR cannot even prove Act 35 is the reason hunting classes are filling up. Most people are still interested in hunting.
in my humble opinion hunter's safety classes are for hunters, CC classes are for carriers. thusly spoken.
"In my opinion..." It's logables! :p

protias

I wanted to add, the CC course I took was mostly common sense. 8 hours of my life wasted all to get a piece of paper. It really was about 5 minutes of actual information that was useful.

M

McX

i would be reluctant to associate with someone who carries and has had no other training contact than hunter's safety. i doubt hunter safety trains in the laws, current and proposed, carry etiquette, and laws and rules regarding use of deadly force. members of wisconsin carry if nothing else obtain knowledge and training by associating with other members, though that is not recognized for a permit application. what category do you fall into?

protias

i would be reluctant to associate with someone who carries and has had no other training contact than hunter's safety. i doubt hunter safety trains in the laws, current and proposed, carry etiquette, and laws and rules regarding use of deadly force. members of wisconsin carry if nothing else obtain knowledge and training by associating with other members, though that is not recognized for a permit application. what category do you fall into?

I would prefer for someone to find a competent teacher to learn these things. The store I purchase my firearms at, a lot of them are for training, but once I ask them, "How many times have you had people buy a firearm, especially their first one, and not learn how to shoot it?" They eventually admit there are few (only a couple in the 30 years they've been selling there) who have not learned how to use it. On Saturday when I was at the range, there was a bachelorette party that came in. When they were signing up to go on the range, they asked if they were going out there alone or if someone would help. Of course they sent someone out there to help them. This just goes to show, people who want to learn, will seek training.

mrjam2jab

NRA Basic covers none of this info either...and it is widely accepted across the country for CCW training.

I personally, living in PA, have carried for almost 20 years before I finally took a document able training class. I haven't shot anybody yet.

M

McX

in my humble opinion hunters safety, and NRA basic guarentee the furry animals in the forrest, and paper targets will be relieved to know you are skilled and trained.

Outdoorsman1

Shotgun wrote…

Well for one thing it's a hunting course, and while some people hunt using a pistol it's probably no more than 1 or 2 out of every 100 hunters who do so. Plus kids can't hunt with a handgun and the course is designed in large part to teach young kids about hunting. And even if they did change the curriculum to include pistols, the relevance to defensive shooting would be, as it is now, no greater than the NRA Firearms Safety course or Pistol course--- neither of which is presented as a defensive shooting course, but are equally acceptable training for the WI CCW license.

I see no reason to change a thing about the hunters safety program. It is what it is, and what it is designed to be. Obviously the legislature didn't think it's necessary to be a trained gunslinger to carry a gun for security and defense. But at a minimum they want people to be indoctrinated with the basic rules of gun safety, something that applies equally to every sort of firearm. One doesn't need familiarity with a handgun to apply those safe gun handling rules to one.

^^^^^^^ I totally agree.....

Then…brokensprocket wrote///

Then HandyHamlet replied..

“Cite”…

Then oak1971 replied…
No for the bullcrap. Thats a leftist ploy, "Oh its for the children! Why do you hate children so much?" Blah, Blah, Blah.

Then the discussion continued ....

Ok to Handy’s question on “Cite”…

I will offer a real world Cite…

I was at the monthly meeting of my Sportsman’s Club last night when they announced they would be offering a DNR Hunters Safety Class. It was discussed that the class would qualify for the WI C.C. Permit but was intended as a Hunter Safety Class and not a C.C. class but if anyone wanted to attend for the C.C. Permit it was ok. It was brought up that a child who was taking the class for it intended purpose of teaching young people hunter safety might be excluded if enough adults showed up simply to qualify for the WI C.C. Permit. It was brought up that because there are many options for adults to qualify for the C.C. Permit Class and only one option for a young person to get the hunter safety training that priority should be given to the children wanting to take the course for its intended purpose over any adults wanting to take advantage of the easy opportunity to qualify for the C.C. Permit. As it is a sign up at the door the day of the class thing, it was agreed that a youngster will be given priority over an adult there to simply qualify for the WI C.C. Permit…. A DECISION I TOTALLY AGREE WITH….

To Handy and oak1971….

Ok, your points in your above posts regarding this question are factually correct, but in my opinion that does not make them right. In the past, I have considered minimizing my contact from this group for a number of different reasons. Your opinions on the question at hand cause me to revisit that consideration once again. But I realize that they are your opinon's and not that of the group as a whole, but just as YOUR opinions (as mine are also just that... MY opinion's) refelct true fellings, I have to ask you both to check your PM’s for more important information regarding this issue.

Nuff Said…

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

IcrewUH60

I dont need to know the laws, current and proposed, carry etiquette, and laws and rules regarding use of deadly force to kill zombies, do I?
I don't need to know how to properly hunt, tag and bag to kill zombies either.

All these laws and regulations are useless to me ;) .... Act 35 did not once address zombie killin.

Last edited:

MKEgal

oak1971 said:
If the training lobby had not weaseled their way into the bill, WCI would be doing free training. Now someone needs to pay $200 per Instructor Certification to the NRA.
There are other nationally-certifying groups.

When training was added to the bill there was noise about free WCI training. WCI can still do free training, as long as it's (designed &) taught by a certified instructor, of which there are quite a few already WCI members. (Yes, I'm one.)

I've also seen the argument that WCI, as a state organization, can certify its own instructors.

McX said:
i doubt hunter safety trains in the laws, current and proposed, carry etiquette, and laws and rules regarding use of deadly force.
As someone else pointed out, neither do the basic NRA classes.
Not until you get up to the Personal Protection series do they get into those topics.

Outdoorsman1

As we already know.... The Utah State Permit class (taught by the Yellow Cat with the M4) will qualify for the WI Permit (once the Utah Permit is in hand) AND it covers basic laws regarding Firearm use....

Just Sayin..

Outdoorsman1

Interceptor_Knight

Hunter Safety classes are taught by volunteers. These volunteers have zero incentive to hold more classes if their classes fill up. These classes are typically only held in the spring and fall. The 3 closest counties around me are all filled up for this fall already with no plans on holding more. The closest class to me still open is about 35 miles away. The norm is full classes. The difference is that this year the classes filled up quicker because of adults taking it for CCW training requirements. That means that even more kids are shut out than normal.

professor gun

Well if the a55hats at the DNR are sooo concerned, why don't they change the Hunters Safety course to include pistol training? MORONS.

The hunter safety education curriculum is designed for ages 12-16 years old and is oriented to safety while hunting. I conduct hunter safety courses and have not altered what we present because that would be off topic of our goals in the class and not relevant to the bulk of the students in the class. I would suggest it would be inappropriate to change this course for this purpose, we have a lot of material to cover already.

As I organized my most recent course I was a bit concerned that there would be a large number of adults taking the class so they could get a concealed carry permit (thereby taking up spots that would normally be taken by kids who want to get out to hunt with their families); that did not materialize at all. We had the same number of parents and grandparents sitting in the class with their children that we usually see. No one expressed the view that they were there to meet the concealed carry permit training requirement.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
When training was added to the bill there was noise about free WCI training.

There are people working on it, and although my training isn't WCI-sponsored, I have given it to a number of WCI members for free. I'm just not in a location that's going to be convenient for everyone statewide, although I've been contacted by a group in the Fox valley area about going to Green Bay for some classes.

HandyHamlet

To Handy and oak1971….

My apologies to the forum, outdoorsman1 and BS. My posts had nothing to do with anything except razzing BS's claim rather sarcastically.
It would be unfortunate for you to no longer participate based on my childish behavior.

T

Outdoorsman1

My apologies to the forum, outdoorsman1 and BS. My posts had nothing to do with anything except razzing BS's claim rather sarcastically.
It would be unfortunate for you to no longer participate based on my childish behavior.

T

I was not and did not mean to infer your behavior was childish... just that I strongly disagreed with what you were saying... If I ever choose not to participate here, it would be for a number of reasons not just one.. besides..

I think this might be a classic case of intent being lost in the written word in an online forum... or I suppose MAYBE I took you a little too literally in what you were saying at the time.. Apology accepted and next time i will remeber this time.... in hopes that I will not "Jump The Gun" (pun intended) in the future... besides...

Brokensprocket just started a new thread about a positve encounter with a pastor... that put a smile on my face...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?94944-Interaction-with-a-Pastor[

So I guess you guys are stuck with me...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited: