Thread: All sort of self-defense nuances here: Samaritan beaten with a bat

All sort of self-defense nuances here: Samaritan beaten with a bat

This story is crazy-full of debatable scenarios...

Samaritan beaten with bat
    Police investigate assault by mob

Summary:

Shoplifter steals a can of beer from convenience/gas store, leaves.
    Regular customer (married couple) enters, clerk tells them about theft which had just happened.
    Couple sees thief crossing street, get in car, drive over, confront thief, retrieve beer, return to store.
    Short time later, thief and four of his best buds confront couple in parking lot as they leave.
    Brief mayhem ensues, injuring husband and another friend, when one of the gang hits them with a bat.
    Gang runs away. Still at large.

Police later say they "would rather citizens not confront suspected criminals."

TFred

He should have said, "Citizens should be armed, just in case something like this happens."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

Summary:

Regular customer (married couple) enters, clerk tells them about theft which had just happened.
    Couple sees thief crossing street, get in car, drive over, confront thief, retrieve beer, return to store.
    Short time later, thief and four of his best buds confront couple in parking lot as they leave.
    Brief mayhem ensues, injuring husband and another friend, when one of the gang hits them with a bat.

EPIC FAIL on the part of the couple. They inserted themselves in a situation where they had NO FREAKING BUSINESS. The store is insured against such losses. They brought that beating upon themselves. I'm sorry and I'm empathetic and I don't like criminals profiting, but jeeze, grow a brain and don't put yourself out there for no reason.

$.02
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 09-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Summary:

TFred
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    EPIC FAIL on the part of the couple. They inserted themselves in a situation where they had NO FREAKING BUSINESS. The store is insured against such losses. They brought that beating upon themselves. I'm sorry and I'm empathetic and I don't like criminals profiting, but jeeze, grow a brain and don't put yourself out there for no reason.

$.02
    I agree. If the alleged thief had been armed, it could have been a lot worse. If the couple had been armed and shot their bat wielding attackers, they might have had a tough time proving self defense (did not instigate).
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

$.02
    I wonder what the theft deductible is on a can of beer? Knowing insurance companies...$2k.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    I wonder what the theft deductible is on a can of beer? Knowing insurance companies...$2k.
    No insurance. The honest folks pay higher prices for products to cover the store's shrinkage.
    Last edited by rlh2005; 09-14-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    ---

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    EPIC FAIL on the part of the couple. They inserted themselves in a situation where they had NO FREAKING BUSINESS.
    +1 Bad move on their part. Honorable, yet stupid.

A hero in search of someone to save, imho.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

ARRESTS MADE IN ASSAULT BY MOB:

Three suspects have been arrested for the assault by mob that occurred at the Sunoco, 2307 Jefferson Davis Hwy, on September 11, 2011. (see Daily Crime Report 9/12/2011)

On September 12 at 4:30 pm, an officer responded to an apartment at Camden Hills in an attempt to locate a wanted subject unrelated to the assault case. While at the apartment, the officer spoke to and identified three male subjects inside the residence, and the officer recognized them as possible suspects from the assault. Once the identifications were known, photo line-ups were prepared and the suspects were positively identified by the victims as assailants involved in the incident. A search warrant was obtained for the apartment and the three suspects were taken into custody without incident.

Mark Haigler, 20, of Spotsylvania was arrested for shoplifting and two counts of malicious wounding by mob. Schira Eura, 28, and Marcus Robinson, 27, both of Fredericksburg were each arrested for two counts of malicious wounding by mob. All three were incarcerated at the Rappahannock Regional Jail under no bond.

(Mug shots at the original link.)

Since the beer was retrieved, I guess they were looking for the bat?

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 09-14-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Reformat

Yep, officially they were looking for a bat.

I wonder what else was in plain view when they conducted the search???

Summary:

Virginians - Have you joined http://www.vcdl.org/ ?