• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All sort of self-defense nuances here: Samaritan beaten with a bat

TFred

This story is crazy-full of debatable scenarios...

Samaritan beaten with bat
Police investigate assault by mob

Summary:

Shoplifter steals a can of beer from convenience/gas store, leaves.
Regular customer (married couple) enters, clerk tells them about theft which had just happened.
Couple sees thief crossing street, get in car, drive over, confront thief, retrieve beer, return to store.
Short time later, thief and four of his best buds confront couple in parking lot as they leave.
Brief mayhem ensues, injuring husband and another friend, when one of the gang hits them with a bat.
Gang runs away. Still at large.

Police later say they "would rather citizens not confront suspected criminals."

TFred

protias

He should have said, "Citizens should be armed, just in case something like this happens."

Badger Johnson

Summary:

Regular customer (married couple) enters, clerk tells them about theft which had just happened.
Couple sees thief crossing street, get in car, drive over, confront thief, retrieve beer, return to store.
Short time later, thief and four of his best buds confront couple in parking lot as they leave.
Brief mayhem ensues, injuring husband and another friend, when one of the gang hits them with a bat.

EPIC FAIL on the part of the couple. They inserted themselves in a situation where they had NO FREAKING BUSINESS. The store is insured against such losses. They brought that beating upon themselves. I'm sorry and I'm empathetic and I don't like criminals profiting, but jeeze, grow a brain and don't put yourself out there for no reason.

$.02

Last edited:

2a4all

Summary:

TFred

EPIC FAIL on the part of the couple. They inserted themselves in a situation where they had NO FREAKING BUSINESS. The store is insured against such losses. They brought that beating upon themselves. I'm sorry and I'm empathetic and I don't like criminals profiting, but jeeze, grow a brain and don't put yourself out there for no reason.

$.02
I agree. If the alleged thief had been armed, it could have been a lot worse. If the couple had been armed and shot their bat wielding attackers, they might have had a tough time proving self defense (did not instigate).

JamesB

$.02

I wonder what the theft deductible is on a can of beer? Knowing insurance companies...$2k.

TFred

ARRESTS MADE IN ASSAULT BY MOB:

Three suspects have been arrested for the assault by mob that occurred at the Sunoco, 2307 Jefferson Davis Hwy, on September 11, 2011. (see Daily Crime Report 9/12/2011)

On September 12 at 4:30 pm, an officer responded to an apartment at Camden Hills in an attempt to locate a wanted subject unrelated to the assault case. While at the apartment, the officer spoke to and identified three male subjects inside the residence, and the officer recognized them as possible suspects from the assault. Once the identifications were known, photo line-ups were prepared and the suspects were positively identified by the victims as assailants involved in the incident. A search warrant was obtained for the apartment and the three suspects were taken into custody without incident.

Mark Haigler, 20, of Spotsylvania was arrested for shoplifting and two counts of malicious wounding by mob. Schira Eura, 28, and Marcus Robinson, 27, both of Fredericksburg were each arrested for two counts of malicious wounding by mob. All three were incarcerated at the Rappahannock Regional Jail under no bond.

(Mug shots at the original link.)​

Since the beer was retrieved, I guess they were looking for the bat?

TFred

Last edited:

jnojr

Summary:

smiley_freak.gif