• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"... am I being detained?"

FMCDH

When I'm driving I keep my DL, Registration and proof of Insurance in an envelope and attatched to the sun visor so I can simply take it down and have it ready when they come to my window. I don't have my CCP yet but when I get it, it will also go in the envelope when I drive.

Seriously?

Dude, how often do you get pulled over that you have started to prepare this far in advance?

You either suck as a driver, or you live in a police state. :(

Just sayin...

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Seriously?

Dude, how often do you get pulled over that you have started to prepare this far in advance?

You either suck as a driver, or you live in a police state. :(

Just sayin...

I like the idea. It's a much better option than digging through your glove box in the dark. I believe some would call it being prepared.

carry for myself

Easy, if he/she says you are being detained, ask on what grounds you are being detained.

+1 exactly. the point is to continuously deflect their attempts at violating your rights, without giving them what they are illegally trying to obtain. i will give an example.

officer "is that a gun?"
reply: is it illegal to carry a gun?
Officer: can i see your id
Reply: am i being detained?

this can go either way. no is the easiest but if not....

officer: yes you are for officer safety, suspicion *some other horse doo reason*
Reply : can you give me a valid legal reason of why you are holding me against my will?
Officer: i need to know if your a felon or not
Reply: do you have reasonable cause to believe im a felon?

see how that works. the best reply is to question the question with intelligence and facts.

if the officer states "do you think your cool carrying that" reply with "do you have a reason to be violating my 4th amendment rights?"

not TOO combative but it also kind of hardens the point of "im not a pushover, try again"

the second they take you into custody, or arrest you. shut up. tell them you are invoking your 5th amendment rights. and lawyer up.

also make sure to have a voice recorder running. it can save your butt because without it. officer vs you in court. he will win usually.

happy hunting ! :-D

wrightme

+1 exactly. the point is to continuously deflect their attempts at violating your rights, without giving them what they are illegally trying to obtain. i will give an example.

officer "is that a gun?"
reply: is it illegal to carry a gun?
Officer: can i see your id
Reply: am i being detained?

this can go either way. no is the easiest but if not....

officer: yes you are for officer safety, suspicion *some other horse doo reason*
Reply : can you give me a valid legal reason of why you are holding me against my will?
Officer: i need to know if your a felon or not
Reply: do you have reasonable cause to believe im a felon?

Officer: "Can I see some ID?"
reply: "Why would I have one with me, unless I was driving?"

wrightme

Good way to start a P^&&*ng match, which is something you really don't want. It can get real expensive real fast.

No, it is a legitimate question. Why WOULD you have one, unless you are driving? From a legal standpoint? It does depend upon how you deliver it.

Maybe a better wording would be this.

"Am I required to have and show an ID?"

Fallschirjmäger

Good way to start a P^&&*ng match, which is something you really don't want. It can get real expensive real fast.
Oh, but I do, I DO.

"Sorry, Officer Friendly, I don't carry "identification." I have a driving license if you want to come out to my car. Of course, I've got that thing, y'know... old-timer's disease or sumthin'. You may wanna pack a lunch, 'cause we may have to walk up and down every single lane in the parking lot before I remember which car I drove this morning. Hmmm, come to think of it, Did I Drive here? Maybe we better walk over to my place, I'm sure I've got sumthin' there. You got ya comfy shoes on? It's a mite fer down th' road apiece.
What? You say you'll give me a ride? Gee, I'm sorry, my Mommy says never to get into cars with strangers."

If Officer Friendly is dumb enough to actually walk out with me, he's gonna be real butt-hurt when he learns that I've just remembered that I'm not required to display my license unless I'm driving.

Life is too short to worry about p*ss*ng off people who have no authority over me unless I'm doing something wrong.

Fuller Malarkey

Is this advocating the forfeiture of a citizen's rights to placate a government official attempting violate those rights?

How does the implied invoking of a right become the problem of the citizen?

If this action were to become "real expensive, real fast", who would be at fault, and wouldn't it take just as much time and band width to address that issue, with a more positive outcome than a rights forfeiture?

The original post WAS NOT pertaining to how to forgo your rights to keep officials from abusing their authority and creating financial hardships for you.