• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tonight I drew down on a group of guys beating a security guard...

DTOMSD

Tonight after work I picked up my g/f & we headed over the local mall to watch a movie (contagion).

We pulled into the parking lot & I came around a corner & parked.

As I climbed out of my Jeep & turned around I saw a group of guys beating a guy that was laying on the pavement.

Something clicked... next thing I know I am screaming louder than I ever knew I could "BACK THE **** UP!" over & over as I am running towards the group holding my m26c with both hands, safety off, laser directly in the faces of the attackers...

There were 3 guys that I personally saw actively involved in punching/kicking the guy as I ran forward, & a group of their friends, another 6 or so that were within 15 feet of the beating.

The guy on the ground was a security guard wearing a white uniform & there was another security guard that was in the fray attempting to protect his buddy without much luck. There were also a few bystanders that were trying to stop the attack but with mostly non physical efforts.

The guard on the ground was bloodied up but not seriously injured that I could tell.

As the group backed up another security guard showed up (all completely without any self defense tools whatsoever) & at this point I am on the line with ECPD dispatch.

Apparently my g/f who had been getting out of the Jeep at the same time had been on the line with 911 the second she saw my m26c out of the holster & me running.

The group of attackers seemed to have come in mostly two different vehicles, one white car & one dark truck.

The main attackers jumped into the white car that was essentially right next to where the attack had been taking place & left, at this point I was on the line with dispatch giving them plate numbers & descriptions.

The white car leaves & half of the group remaining is circling back over to their truck getting ready to leave.

I had yelled to my g/f to grab my flipcam from the Jeep & this is right around when the recording starts.

The guys circling back to the truck are leaving & a guard goes to get their plate number & you can see one of the guys stand in front to block the plate.

Shortly after the truck starts exiting the parking lot the first cop shows up & we tell him to get the truck, he takes off after the truck.

The injured guard is very shaken & is trying to tell everyone what had happened.

To sum it up it sounds like the group of guys had been causing problems in the mall for several hours & having problems with the security staff. The security staff either kicked them out or followed them out, at one point the injured guard states that he was trying to get their plate number & that was when the attack began.

The cops were pretty cool with everyone and myself. No doubt it helped that the guard kept repeating to them that "the guy with the gun saved my life, the guy with the gun saved me!, thank you so much!"

The cops had several people fill out written statements, they gave me no problems whatsoever about my openly carried taser which was back in the holster before they showed up. While I was speaking with dispatch I requested that they notify the responding units that I was there with a taser openly visible in a holster that appears like a firearm.

One of the cops asked if I always carried it & I told him I had started about 6 months or so ago because I had wanted to get a ccw & you can't get one in san diego, so I looked into open carrying & realized I spend all day within one school zone or another, so I ended up with this... He actually said that with the way the open carry law is that taser might even be better in some aspects since there is no downtime of loading a magazine, even though that wouldn't have been an issue in this case.

The adrenaline took over an hour to wear off, I am just happy they backed off & no one charged me requiring a trigger pull... No doubt a lawsuit would come from some dirtbags parents after their A+ student lost half their front teeth from facepalming into the pavement as the taser was deployed...

It's very werid as I think about what happened, I know there is no way I could point out the main attackers faces if I had to, the guys are just a complete blur in my mind, more than anything I really wish I had had a camera attachment on the m26c, I will be looking into that tomorrow...

crazyness,

& we missed our movie... :mad:

(I have deleted the image of the contact info paper from the PD as per advice from several PM's)

Last edited:

GuidoZ

Sounds like you handled it very well! Good on you for utilizing your defenses to aid someone in need. :D

--
Peace. ~G

Badger Johnson

I am in awe of your response and your report. You da MAN!

Great job.

Interesting you deployed the taser. Were you also armed (if you don't mind saying?). If not that's a lot of courage to stand down a group of guys with a taser. Sounds like your gf's response was excellent also.

DTOMSD

I am in awe of your response and your report. You da MAN!

Great job.

Interesting you deployed the taser. Were you also armed (if you don't mind saying?). If not that's a lot of courage to stand down a group of guys with a taser. Sounds like your gf's response was excellent also.

Unfortunately I was not armed, out here you can't get a CCW & there are schools EVERYWHERE! My only option would be the full blown locked container and such which I haven't bothered doing, in this scenario there might have been time to retrieve a locked firearm... It's food for thought but I wouldn't want to leave it in the vehicle & I wouldn't want to carry a lock box to and from the vehicle all the time...

Perhaps I shall just donate more $ to the CRPA & CGF and cross my fingers for their current CCW lawsuits against the San Diego Sheriff Dept. -_-

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

You've made a great choice to carry the taser, a tactical girlfriend and a cam-recorder! :)

What are the legalities for the taser in California/San Diego?

Ruiner.NIN

Way to go! That mall seems to have gone downhill as the years passed. There are always dodgy looking people hanging out in front of the food court.

DocWalker

1. WAY TO GO, you showed a lot of courage considering you only had a "ONE SHOT" tazer.

2. That being said, I'm really glad they must have thought it was a gun and they didn't decide to kick your but also. This is why they need to fix the Kalifonia gun laws.

3. Up here in Idaho there is no down time for loading as you carry OC or CC locked and loaded with one in the pipe; just like I do with my service pistol.

4. Again good job, you most certinly saved him from serious injury if not worse. You also saved his fellow scurity guard and maybe a on looker that might have been next. Good thing these thugs aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

tim12232

Was this Fashion Valley? Mission Valley Mall? You are right with schools everywhere out there, kid you not almost every 1000ft there is some type of a school, Elementary, Middle, High, Day Care.

Good Job bro! way to be the good Samaritan.

Give my love to SD!

MR Redenck

Im glad it ended the way it did, but im also going to say I would rater have a Bat than a Tazer. Tazers are one shot. If you fired it upon one of those thugs, the rest of them could have jumped you.
Im thinking what detered those punks was them thinking you had a gun...

MKEgal

DocWalker said:
1. WAY TO GO, you showed a lot of courage considering you only had a "ONE SHOT" tazer.
MR Redenck said:
I'm thinking what deterred those punks was them thinking you had a gun.
Yeah, I got most of the way through before I thought to look to see where he lives.
CA :shocker:
Good on you for stepping in, and man, you're crazy for doing it with a tazer (though that's the only thing you could have).
Glad things turned out well.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
wait? a taser? based off the thread title i thought this was going to be a bad ass story with you taking cover behind your vehicle slamming magazine after magazine into your handgun, blasting ak47 toting skaters who were beating up an innocent citizen. *sigh*

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tonight after work I picked up my g/f & we headed over the local mall to watch a movie (contagion).

We pulled into the parking lot & I came around a corner & parked.

As I climbed out of my Jeep & turned around I saw a group of guys beating a guy that was laying on the pavement.

Something clicked... next thing I know I am screaming louder than I ever knew I could "BACK THE **** UP!" over & over as I am running towards the group holding my m26c with both hands, safety off, laser directly in the faces of the attackers...

There were 3 guys that I personally saw actively involved in punching/kicking the guy as I ran forward, & a group of their friends, another 6 or so that were within 15 feet of the beating.

The guy on the ground was a security guard wearing a white uniform & there was another security guard that was in the fray attempting to protect his buddy without much luck. There were also a few bystanders that were trying to stop the attack but with mostly non physical efforts.

The guard on the ground was bloodied up but not seriously injured that I could tell.

As the group backed up another security guard showed up (all completely without any self defense tools whatsoever) & at this point I am on the line with ECPD dispatch.

Apparently my g/f who had been getting out of the Jeep at the same time had been on the line with 911 the second she saw my m26c out of the holster & me running.

The group of attackers seemed to have come in mostly two different vehicles, one white car & one dark truck.

The main attackers jumped into the white car that was essentially right next to where the attack had been taking place & left, at this point I was on the line with dispatch giving them plate numbers & descriptions.

The white car leaves & half of the group remaining is circling back over to their truck getting ready to leave.

I had yelled to my g/f to grab my flipcam from the Jeep & this is right around when the recording starts.

The guys circling back to the truck are leaving & a guard goes to get their plate number & you can see one of the guys stand in front to block the plate.

Shortly after the truck starts exiting the parking lot the first cop shows up & we tell him to get the truck, he takes off after the truck.

The injured guard is very shaken & is trying to tell everyone what had happened.

To sum it up it sounds like the group of guys had been causing problems in the mall for several hours & having problems with the security staff. The security staff either kicked them out or followed them out, at one point the injured guard states that he was trying to get their plate number & that was when the attack began.

The cops were pretty cool with everyone and myself. No doubt it helped that the guard kept repeating to them that "the guy with the gun saved my life, the guy with the gun saved me!, thank you so much!"

The cops had several people fill out written statements, they gave me no problems whatsoever about my openly carried taser which was back in the holster before they showed up. While I was speaking with dispatch I requested that they notify the responding units that I was there with a taser openly visible in a holster that appears like a firearm.

One of the cops asked if I always carried it & I told him I had started about 6 months or so ago because I had wanted to get a ccw & you can't get one in san diego, so I looked into open carrying & realized I spend all day within one school zone or another, so I ended up with this... He actually said that with the way the open carry law is that taser might even be better in some aspects since there is no downtime of loading a magazine, even though that wouldn't have been an issue in this case.

The adrenaline took over an hour to wear off, I am just happy they backed off & no one charged me requiring a trigger pull... No doubt a lawsuit would come from some dirtbags parents after their A+ student lost half their front teeth from facepalming into the pavement as the taser was deployed...

It's very werid as I think about what happened, I know there is no way I could point out the main attackers faces if I had to, the guys are just a complete blur in my mind, more than anything I really wish I had had a camera attachment on the m26c, I will be looking into that tomorrow...

crazyness,

& we missed our movie... :mad:

(I have deleted the image of the contact info paper from the PD as per advice from several PM's)

That is quite a story.

You could simply redact the personal info and post the info from the police.

Was some media attention given this or will you be filing a FOIA request? One or the other would be good as cites are nice.

sharkey

Ooooh, I want to be snarky on the tazer but I'll just say; Good Job! We need more people willing to take a stand.

Sangre

Im glad it ended the way it did, but im also going to say I would rater have a Bat than a Tazer. Tazers are one shot. If you fired it upon one of those thugs, the rest of them could have jumped you.
Im thinking what detered those punks was them thinking you had a gun...

I know that at least some of the models will allow you to use the Tazer as a non-firing stun gun after the cartridge has been used.

I also think that the thugs likely thought he had an actual gun causing them to flee immediately, but way to go he likely saved the guards life.

RebelWolf

I just realized the poster was carrying a Taser and not a handgun.

Same here!

The OP has some big "ones" to be pointing a Tazer at a group of thugs. Pointing a gun at a group is dangerous, since you have no idea what they have, but at least with a gun, I have more than one shot (carry ~50HP rounds), and I can hit a motionless target at a little over 50 yards (moving, I wouldn't try at anything more than 10 feet). But with a ONE SHOT TAZER?!!:shocker: Again, OP has some big ones!

RebelWolf

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From the date of the OP (9/13) forward, we have no confirmation, cite, newspaper report - Nada, nothing. That is troubling.

Without something substantial supporting this, the best I can say is interesting story. Have to wait for supporting evidence.

Won't say that I doubt the validity - least not yet - but I am looking and listening for a direct response with the requested information. :uhoh:

Jack House

I'm surprised that no one has chastised him for doing something other than standing back and calling the police. Not saying he should be, just that I expected it.

Also, I too got through most of the article believe he had a gun. :lol:

DocWalker

I'm surprised that no one has chastised him for doing something other than standing back and calling the police. Not saying he should be, just that I expected it.

Also, I too got through most of the article believe he had a gun. :lol:

I don't believe chastising someone for not sitting back and watching someone get beat to death while waiting for the police, ambulance, and/or coroner to show up is appropriate. Since none of us where there at the time he had to decide what to do in a matter of seconds and his girl friend was calling 911, I commend him for his actions. Most people would not put themselves in harms way if they thought about it to much. Only after an event like this do people go 'Dam I wouldn't have done that if I knew then what I know now".