Thread: Moonclips for Ruger SP101

Moonclips for Ruger SP101

I've been looking and looking, but I cannot find moonclips for my Ruger SP101. Anyone know where I can find them? What you recommend for a speedloader holder?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I did not know you could use moon clips with a SP-101. Have you looked at this site: http://www.moonclips.com ? It indicates that machining of the cylinder is required on an SP-101 before you can use moon clips.

The 9mm uses moon clips.
    Check with midwayusa.com
    Last edited by Butch00; 09-13-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I've been looking and looking, but I cannot find moonclips for my Ruger SP101. Anyone know where I can find them? What you recommend for a speedloader holder?

www.clarkcustomguns.com/revptclips.htm

Like others have stated your cylinder needs machining to work with moonclips.

moonclip holder

www.blade-tech.com/search.php?mode=search
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Why on earth would you even wish to try shooting 9mm out of a 101 anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Why on earth would you even wish to try shooting 9mm out of a 101 anyway?
    It's not to use 9mm but to use .38spl/357 with a moon clip, faster loading and unloading, easier to carry a reload.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I've never seen a non-9mm SP101 with a factory moon clip cut, but maybe I'm uninformed...

If it's a .38/.357: Unless you've had it modified, you're out of luck anyway, as a moon clipped cartridge won't allow the cylinder to close... You'd have to have it cut for the clips by a gunsmith, like this: http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

If it is a 9mm, midway has clips: http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/593...e-package-of-8

If it is a .38/.357, just beware: the moon clip groove is pretty narrow on revolver rounds, which doesn't allow for very thick clip material. They're nowhere near as strong as 9mm or .45 ACP moon clips. Consequentially, you need a good way to hold your reloads, because if you bend your moon clip, there's a high probability that you'll lock your revolver up good and tight, which is counterproductive to a defensive situation.

So, if you're looking to have the modification done....The More You Know (TM)